What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Indiscreet (1958) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Lest people not be aware, Stanley Donen's Indiscreet will be arriving via Olive on January 22.

As an independent production, released through Warner Bros, and then reverting to Cary Grant's company, it's not received the love and attention it has deserved.

Based upon a stage play set in London, and photographed magnificently by Freddie Young, this is one of the great underrated films of the 1950s, and romantic comedy at its best.

Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman head a great cast.

I'm hoping that it will look as it should - magnificent.

Unfortunately, another film in the Grandon library, The Grass in Greener, have also never been seen on home video in anything near decent quality. One can only hope.

RAH

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
it's one of my favourite films and I look forward to upgrading my UK Universal DVD. Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman were certainly at their best, and in opening up the original play slightly, it contains some splendid night time location shots of London.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I hope very much that Olive Films is provided with a really high quality transfer. I'll wait for "the word" on this disc but if reports are positive, I will definitely buy this one. I am aware that most iterations of Indiscreet have been very poor.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
The film was broadcast in 1080p on HDNet Movies a few months or so back and it looked gorgeous there. Great color, a sharp image and plenty of grain.
Hopefully the Blu-ray will be just as good! Logically it should be.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Eastmancolor /t/325062/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-indiscreet-1958-in-blu-ray#post_3999553
The film was broadcast in 1080p on HDNet Movies a few months or so back and it looked gorgeous there. Great color, a sharp image and plenty of grain.
Hopefully the Blu-ray will be just as good! Logically it should be.
Harwood...

Harwood...

Sounds familiar. Didn't know you frequented HTF.

You sound as if you know what film looks like.

A very welcome addition to the site.

RAH

WadeM

Supporting Actor
It's been a long time since I've seen this film, so I'm excited to be getting the blu-ray! Hopefully it really will look magnificent.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Woah! I didn't see this thread. And I didn't see this one coming! I hope the blu-ray will be good! This is also a favorite film of mine.
One of the better scenes in the film is the somewaht awkward situation with Cary siting down in the kitchen as Ingrid makes them something to eat. It looks so real to life, their reactions.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
A word of praise also for Cecil Parker in this film. He made so many British films but didn't always get the credit he deserved. He always gave good performances and was equally adept at drama or comedy. I always used to welcome seeing him in a film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Indiscreet is just an extraordinary film, all around, and I hope it gets the respect it deserves.

Great film, with some extraordinarily funny, introspective, and warm set pieces.

Did I mention exquisite cinematography?

RAH

Marcus Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus
I love this film - i'm pleasantly surprised that it's coming out on BD, because it hasn't been well served by previous transfers...
I currently have the UK VHS and US DVD releases, both of which are atrocious. I looked for a Laserdisc but I don't think it was ever released on that format.
The film is very much of its time, but that's one of the reasons I like it.
I also enjoy the use of London locations, especially old Euston Station which was sadly demolished a few years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avinrulez