What's new

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Chu was on Turner Classic Movies last Friday night as a guest programmer and talked about certain musicals and how they influenced his filmmaking for this movie. He specifically talked about Royal Wedding and they then showed that movie.
I'm pretty sure they stole that bit from Lionel Ritchie ;)!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And then you can look forward to blowing the roof off your screening room with Warner's 4k disc when it arrives.

This is a serious question: at what point does WB decide whether or not to do a 4K disc release for a film?

Some of their recent films this year have been released on 1080p Blu-ray Disc only. I'm thinking of titles like The Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah (a Best Picture nominee), and now Those Who Wish Me Dead has recently been announced as a Blu-ray only.

I would like to be clear that I think In the Heights is wonderful, and I went to see it in theaters twice. It was my first (and second) movie outing since the pandemic began. However, unfortunately, it has not exactly been setting the box office on fire. So: what level does it need to hit in order for WB to go ahead with a UHD disc release?

I don't havre 4K right now and don't expect to in the near future, but this is one of those rare titles I would probably future proof just in case.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
This is a serious question: at what point does WB decide whether or not to do a 4K disc release for a film?

Some of their recent films this year have been released on 1080p Blu-ray Disc only. I'm thinking of titles like The Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah (a Best Picture nominee), and now Those Who Wish Me Dead has recently been announced as a Blu-ray only.

I would like to be clear that I think In the Heights is wonderful, and I went to see it in theaters twice. It was my first (and second) movie outing since the pandemic began. However, unfortunately, it has not exactly been setting the box office on fire. So: what level does it need to hit in order for WB to go ahead with a UHD disc release?

I don't havre 4K right now and don't expect to in the near future, but this is one of those rare titles I would probably future proof just in case.
I purchase the 4K digitals from iTunes for both of those movies last week.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I purchase the 4K digitals from iTunes for both of those movies last week.

Digitally, yes. But WB elected not to release physical 4K versions. So it seems like there is some criteria WB uses to determine whether the film is successful enough to warrant a physical 4K or not. Given that In the Heights is not performing to the degree that WB would have liked, I'm wondering whether it will hit that mark or not.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Digitally, yes. But WB elected not to release physical 4K versions. So it seems like there is some criteria WB uses to determine whether the film is successful enough to warrant a physical 4K or not. Given that In the Heights is not performing to the degree that WB would have liked, I'm wondering whether it will hit that mark or not.
I would be shock if "In the Heights" doesn't receive a 4K disc release. There is no doubt that Conjuring 3 will get a 4K disc release. HBO Max is having a negative impact on Warner's box office receipts.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I imagine the decision is based on sales projections.

Plus replication availability - I keep hearing that there are logjams on the replication lines which are affecting release plans right now well into fourth quarter. If that’s the case and capacity is limited, the studio may prioritize some titles over others when it comes to premium formats.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

At least part of the equation would be image quality. In the Heights is an 8k film, downrezzed to 4.

that must count for something

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
At least part of the equation would be image quality. In the Heights is an 8k film, downrezzed to 4.

that must count for something
Yup, it would be a travesty if this beautifully filmed 8K movie isn't released on 4K disc. This movie is exactly what that home video format was developed for.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Plus replication availability - I keep hearing that there are logjams on the replication lines which are affecting release plans right now well into fourth quarter. If that’s the case and capacity is limited, the studio may prioritize some titles over others when it comes to premium formats.
I'm thinking that has something to do with it too.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Back to In The Heights- I saw it last night again but this time in Brooklyn at BAM’s Rose cinema. Maybe 10 people in the theater. Everyone loved it and clapped throughout. Had my friend wait to see the surprise after the credits. The only thing I thought could improve it is cutting out abuela’s song as it’s a little self righteous and drags the pace down some. I understand she’s a sentimental fav to the fans as she repeats her Bway role but the number just reiterates points she’s already said verbally throughout the movie. Otherwise it’s a 9 out of 10 story-wise but a 10 technically and artistically. Casting is absolutely perfect and it’s edited perfectly. The dance numbers are fantastic and filmed the best I’ve seen since the original West Side Story meaning your see the entire body movement intercut with the steps etc. every dance sequence- in the pool, the nightclub Vanessa number and the Carnival number - just superb and superbly danced!
The controversy Miranda got himself entangled in is unfortunate.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I saw it on HBO Max (not bragging), but in order to appreciate it the way it was intended, I’m going this evening to experience it at the best theater around before it leaves.

Speaking as a musician and as someone who’s enjoyed it on Broadway and elsewhere, I have to admit that the many changes made for the film leave me preferring the intensity (for lack of a better word) of the stage version. But the movie is masterful in its own right, and I long ago learned the lesson of looking at stage and film adaptations as distinct and equally valid achievements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Software Testing Training
Recent bookmarks