What's new

Kyle_D

Second Unit
Say whut and say what?
It most likely bombed at the box office because most are too afraid to go anywhere near a box office!!
And in what context brought on that apology? The second male lead is African American- do you need to be natively Latino too from now on? Isn't that what acting is about?
Also that's what was said about Marty and Moonlight and on and on- "It's not winning Best Picture."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's not winning Best Picture.
Yeah, the movie could end up being the best thing that comes out this year and it still has the big hurdle of having come out in June. I bet that in the last 20 years, there's been three or four (maybe less) movies that have won the BP award that weren't released in the fall. It's not fair but a movie sure seems to need to be new to capture the interest of Academy voters.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
As for Woke Side Story- "I know a boat you can get on, Bye bye!"
Please stop using that term as we're not going to allow the usage of that term to derail thread discussion by having others that don't agree with your POV to respond to it. Leave that crap for social media!

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Please stop using that term as we're not going to allow the usage of that term to derail thread discussion by having others that don't agree with your POV to respond to it. Leave that crap for social media!
Your wish is my command.

Can I call it West Side Spielberg like the other poster did? Cause there's really only one WSS. Unless it's remade with a different take like A Star is Born every 30 years then it's really blasphemous to some of us here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Your wish is my command.

Can I call it West Side Spielberg like the other poster did? Cause there's really only one WSS. Unless it's remade with a different take like A Star is Born every 30 years then it's really blasphemous to some of us here.
That's your opinion, but this thread is about "In the Heights" so lets not have this thread bogged down with the same discussion items that's been going on in the "Spielberg: West Side Story" thread in Movies.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I won't use the dreaded W-word, but it's interesting that IN THE HEIGHTS was initially celebrated for bringing under-represented minority characters to the screen in a major motion picture, and then vilified by some for not including a subset of that minority, so much so that Miranda felt it necessary to issue an apology.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Your wish is my command.

To be sure I understand, it’s ok to remake WSS if you try to duplicate the original, but to do your own take is not? Or is it the under way around?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I won't use the dreaded W-word, but it's interesting that IN THE HEIGHTS was initially celebrated for bringing under-represented minority characters to the screen in a major motion picture, and then vilified by some for not including a subset of that minority, so much so that Miranda felt it necessary to issue an apology.
One thing I learned in life is that there will always be detractors, no matter how many accolades a person or thing received. Unfortunately, social media has given them a platform to express their displeasure. It doesn’t matter if their complaints have any validity or not. It’s the world we live in today which is why I never use social media except to post relevant information here.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I saw In the Heights in a theatre, on the largest screen I could find, with the best Dolby audio available to me.

I thought it was pure joy in movie form. Not a perfect movie: but a perfectly joyful one.

I didn't mind the changes (but then again I'm not as "tied" to the original score as I am with other musicals).

"96,000" is the best musical performance since "Cool" and "Gee, Officer Krupke!" (which are both perfect).

Everyone was a star.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
One thing I learned in life is that there will always be detractors, no matter how many accolades a person or thing received. Unfortunately, social media has given them a platform to express their displeasure. It doesn’t matter if their complaints have any validity or not. It’s the world we live in today which is why I never use social media except to post relevant information here.

As a white male, I don't think it's my place to rule on the "validity" of the complaints of any minority group.

Kyle_D

Second Unit
As a white male, I don't think it's my place to rule on the "validity" of the complaints of any minority group.
Same. I don't need to agree with everyone's viewpoint or assign their concerns the same importance in my personal enjoyment of something, but I'm not going to tell anyone that their concerns about representation are "invalid." Especially here, where the film and, even moreso, the marketing really played up the diversity and representation angle. When inclusive representation is one of the express goals of a film--as admitted here by its creators--it's not unfair to call it out where it doesn't live up to that goal.

Did it detract from my personal enjoyment of the film? Not at all. Do I think Lin Manuel Miranda needed to apologize? Not really. If anything, his apology gave the "controversy" way more air than it would have otherwise received.

Real Name
GaryWilliamWhitley
In Philadelphia. They pulled all showings at all Dolby cinemas due to poor box office at AMC theaters.I will wait for the 4k when it comes out.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
To be sure I understand, it’s ok to remake WSS if you try to duplicate the original, but to do your own take is not? Or is it the under way around?
I suppose it’s ok to do whatever your truth tells you to do for you to realize your journey. Lol
No seriously I said what I said- we don’t need another Gus Van Sant Psycho but a new take on WSS the way A Star is Born changes it up every 30 years from changing it from a drama to a musical then to a rock musical and then most recently to a country western vibe and each reflecting the current time it’s been made and presented in its current time- and adding different layers to it along the way.
What’s the point of retelling the exact same thing as the trailer comparison shows. What- the classic wasn’t good enough?
Not that difficult to understand.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
So loved "In the Heights". Can't wait to see it again -- in a theater. The disc will be a welcome treat later, if there is one.

It's so entertaining, and poignant, and fun, and beautiful, and creative,
and pointed, and we're still talking about it 3 days later.

Sad that theaters are not full. This film is worth it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Chu was on Turner Classic Movies last Friday night as a guest programmer and talked about certain musicals and how they influenced his filmmaking for this movie. He specifically talked about Royal Wedding and they then showed that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Software Testing Training
Recent bookmarks