What's new

Brian Husar

Second Unit
I saw it at the Harkins theater in Goodyear Arizona in their PLF theater Cine 1 XL on an 80ft wide screen with Dolby Atmos. My praise is very high for this film. I have been unimpressed with the Broadway to film adaptations lately, but this one they got right. A great great movie that needs to be seen on the big screen

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I had expected Jon M. Chu's mega-musical entertainment, In the Heights, based upon the Broadway musical of the same name to be something special.

After seeing it yesterday in 4k on a 37 foot screen with audio pumping through a full, highly amped Dolby Atmos system, I went away thrilled.

For the first time in aeons, I felt that I had become immersed in an example of fully organic cinema.

This is not just some summer movie.

With more than a tip of the hat toward the cinema of the past, Mr. Chu channels Busby Berkeley, Rouben Mamoulian and Stanley Donen, making their creations his own.

If one is going to view this film correctly, it's best not to wait for the requisite 4k UHD disc, but rather to find the largest screen, running 4k, and with Dolby Atmos, and visit that venue.

For the record, shot with a Panavision Millennium, which means 8k capture.

I'm already thinking Best Picture of 2021, which would make it the first musical to win since Chicago in 2002.

And then you can look forward to blowing the roof off your screening room with Warner's 4k disc when it arrives.

RAH
Hope everybody stays through the end titles.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Not having seen the play, I was wondering about some of the changes made for the screen. I skimmed through the plot description of the play on wikipedia, and I guess in the play Usnavi tells his story to the audience rather than to his future children. I absolutely love the clever deception that his kids are gathered around him on a paradise beachfront in the Dominican Republic, making us think that he went there and opened up his dream shop, when in reality they are still in Washington Heights in his old shop, in front of a beautiful mural of the beach. It's like the exact opposite of watching a play. In a play a phony backdrop represents reality for the audience, but in this movie a real location represented a phony backdrop! Bravo!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Not having seen the play, I was wondering about some of the changes made for the screen. I skimmed through the plot description of the play on wikipedia, and I guess in the play Usnavi tells his story to the audience rather than to his future children. I absolutely love the clever deception that his kids are gathered around him on a paradise beachfront in the Dominican Republic, making us think that he went there and opened up his dream shop, when in reality they are still in Washington Heights in his old shop, in front of a beautiful mural of the beach. It's like the exact opposite of watching a play. In a play a phony backdrop represents reality for the audience, but in this movie a real location represented a phony backdrop! Bravo!
Actually only
one of them was his and it didn't fool me because the kids spoke with an American accent which caused me to think this was a plot misdirection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, after watching this on HBO Max in 4K/Dolby Vision and Atmos, I'm seriously thinking of breaking my streak of not being in a movie theater since February, 2020. A highly recommend this movie and this is somebody that isn't a big fan of musicals.
Well, I made my trip except I decided against driving 150 miles round trip to the nearest Dolby Cinema theater and decided to watch it on a big screen theater with Dolby Atmos and lounge chairs that was only 30 miles round trip from me. I'm glad I watched it in a big screen movie theater, but I missed my subtitles being activated in my HT, even with it being my second viewing of this movie. There were only five other people in the entire movie theater as I wore my N-95 mask throughout my showing except when I took some sips of water.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm glad I watched it in a big screen movie theater, but I missed my subtitles being activated in my HT, even with it being my second viewing of this movie.
Yeah, my 57 year old ears, had trouble understanding all the rapid-fire lyrics too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, my 57 year old ears, had trouble understanding all the rapid-fire lyrics too.
I've gone about 16 months watching movies only at home and with the subtitles activated for about 95% of them, so it really caught my attention watching a movie without them.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Hope everybody stays through the end titles.

I would have bolted but the friend I went with had gotten the "tip" to stay through the credits (and did I bitch!) In the end, I'm so glad he got his way because that was a wonderful little surprise.

Regarding Miranda's appearance as Pirageuro, reportedly he was sad that Piraguero might be cut from the story as it was running way too long and, as fun as those sequences may be, they don't do anything to advance the plot. Either the screenwriter or the director (I can't remember which) told him the only way to be sure that Piraguero makes it intact to the finished film would be if he played the part himself, so he did.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, since this was my second viewing I knew about the credits, the other five people in my showing's audience booked as soon as the credits began.
It cracked me up seeing Alexander Hamilton giving George Washington a drink.:)

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've gone about 16 months watching movies only at home and with the subtitles activated for about 95% of them, so it really caught my attention watching a movie without them.
And I thought I was in the minority here always using subtitles.
Yeah, since this was my second viewing I knew about the credits, the other five people in my showing's audience booked as soon as the credits began.
It cracked me up seeing Alexander Hamilton giving George Washington a drink.:)
I wonder if the app RunPee is still in business.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I've not seen IN THE HEIGHTS yet, but if it is as lyrically dense as Miranda's HAMILTON, I can see using the subtitles. I saw HAMILTON on stage and loved it, but was sure that I missed a lot. When I caught the version of Disney+, I made sure to enable the subtitles.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I saw this film in the theater this past weekend (4K digital projection) which was the first (and only) film I've seen in a theater since COVID. Astounding.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I’ll be doing the same, soon.

I did watch it on HBO Max with friends, and the difference will be about a thousandfold treat.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
In The Heights is everything one could have wished for after the horrid Covid lockdown we've been through- an upbeat, beautifully directed, and acted NYC musical. I will def go see it again on the biggest screen possible (this is where the lack of the Ziegfeld or other similar sized screen here in NYC hurts) just to be fully immersed in it because there is so much going on in every scene that it will only be better upon a second viewing. And thankfully it's not hyper-edited like Moulin Rouge or poorly danced like LA LA Land was. And the music fits so much better for me here than in Hamilton. And it has BIG heart. My pick for a Best Picture win too as it reflects the times without being obvious or self righteous. It's basically perfect!

As for Woke Side Story- "I know a boat you can get on, Bye bye!"

Last edited:

Kyle_D

Second Unit
I liked the film a lot, but it bombed at the box office, and Lin Manuel Miranda is already apologizing for not including darker skinned Latinos in the cast. It's not winning Best Picture.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
I liked the film a lot, but it bombed at the box office, and Lin Manuel Miranda is already apologizing for not including darker skinned Latinos in the cast. It's not winning Best Picture.
Say whut and say what?
It most likely bombed at the box office because most are too afraid to go anywhere near a box office!!
And in what context brought on that apology? The second male lead is African American- do you need to be natively Latino too from now on? Isn't that what acting is about?
Also that's what was said about Marty and Moonlight and on and on- "It's not winning Best Picture."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xabaz
Recent bookmarks