What's new

A Few Words About 'While we wait for A few words about...™ Spartacus -- in Blu-ray' (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gerhard
A Little OT as well, but are there any news about the 50th Anniversary Edition of "My Fair Lady", Mr. Harris? It's now almost 9 month overdue :-(

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A Little OT as well, but are there any news about the 50th Anniversary Edition of "My Fair Lady", Mr. Harris? It's now almost 9 month overdue :-(
Ha, yup, look at the My Fair Lady thread.

nikonf5

Agent
Real Name
Mian
Will the final Blu have the screen content [picture area shown] as it is on the 4K screens or as it shows on the old 2010 Blu comparison screens ?

Asking because they are not truly identical as there is some "zoom-in" on the picture in the older caps, the worst case of this is the pic with the carriages in it which actually has some additional horizontal shift as well.

I stripped the black bars on both pairs of pics, named them the same [with 2010 and 2015 appended] and viewed it using a viewer that displayed them through the same sized window so shifting back and forth with the arrow keys made differences very obvious.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
nikonf5 said:
Will the final Blu have the screen content [picture area shown] as it is on the 4K screens or as it shows on the old 2010 Blu comparison screens ?

Asking because they are not truly identical as there is some "zoom-in" on the picture in the older caps, the worst case of this is the pic with the carriages in it which actually has some additional horizontal shift as well.

I stripped the black bars on both pairs of pics, named them the same [with 2010 and 2015 appended] and viewed it using a viewer that displayed them through the same sized window so shifting back and forth with the arrow keys made differences very obvious.

I try to forget the old Blu-ray scans. They are irrelevant.

RAH

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
bujaki said:
As a footnote, it's good to remember that the KKK was, and still is a legal organization in the USA. The communists were hounded, but not the KKK.
You're "facts" and history are incorrect and totally OT.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Let's not go there.

We've got more important (and relevant) things to discuss:

spartacus-poster.jpg

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, let's get back to Spartacus.

The poster does look rather modern, as if it was from the 70s?
And they do not have the Super Technirama 70 logo on this one - inexcusable!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Mike Frezon said:
Can someone explain how "Panavision" applies here? Isn't Panavision a production system rather than a post-production or exhibition system? I don't see how it would apply to a 35mm release of a movie filmed in an entirely different process by a different company.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
RichMurphy said:
Can someone explain how "Panavision" applies here? Isn't Panavision a production system rather than a post-production or exhibition system? I don't see how it would apply to a 35mm release of a movie filmed in an entirely different process by a different company.

I would guess it was shot with Panavision cameras and lenses.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Yes, I would guess still shot with Panavision lenses. Super Technirama 70 was anamorphic wasn't it? So 35mm horizontal with anamorphic squeeze for an even bigger picture? Correct me if I am wrong.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Worth said:
I would guess it was shot with Panavision cameras and lenses.
With Spartacus being shot in Super Technirama 70 I strongly doubt that Panavision could claim to have had a substantial part in the production. Probably just some marketing / advertising blunder.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingtr4.htm

Panavision's credit refers to printer lenses used to convert the 8-perf 35mm negative to a 70mm 5-perf print. Spartacus had been slated to be the first live action picture to utilize the Super Technirama 70 format, but its extended production time allowed the system to be used on Solomon and Sheba first. Publicity departments being what they are, a reissue of the film made no mention of Technirama or Super Technirama 70, instead the new ad materials said it was in Panavision and Technicolor. Incorrect for sure, but it was in indication of the wide acceptance of Panavision technology.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
For the Roadshow engagements Universal basically utilized the original Saul Bass ideas(he even designed a poster that I don't believe was ever used)of the gladiator and sword with the Greek letter of SPARTACUS. The Roman soldiers as above were also designed by Bass. The Roman coins were designed by another well known motion picture graphic artist Reynolds Brown. I believe that the first pubic view of the Spartacus advertising campaign was the ad in Variety that stated, 1960 The Year Of SPARTACUS with the Bass logo and Greek lettering. Later as the film was getting closer to release in October 1960, horses and banners were added to the mix. The above poster and the ones with the horses are available to view and/or purchase but the original Bass poster can be seen online at the 2013 show at Saul Bass at Kemistry in London.

The Criterion Collection utilized the original Saul Bass logo for their DVD release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks