A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Raiders of the Lost Ark -- in Blu-ray

Chuck_Kahn

Agent
There hasn't been much info beyond speculation since 2021 is the 40th anniversary of Raiders and when the new movie was originally coming out.

There is this report, but take it with a grain of salt. I'm not sure if a new scan is needed, but they certainly need to revisit the color grade.

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/en-us/film/home-releases-news/indiana-jones-4k-blu-ray-2021/
The statement that the current 4K masters are being "carefully checked" reminds me of the "top men" quote from Raiders.

Is the Laser Pacific page about Raiders archived on waybackmachine? I haven't been able to locate it.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
The statement that the current 4K masters are being "carefully checked" reminds me of the "top men" quote from Raiders.

Is the Laser Pacific page about Raiders archived on waybackmachine? I haven't been able to locate it.

Here are a couple of articles that reference the restoration:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/technicolor-completes-acquisition-laser-pacific-237165

https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/store/news_articles/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-restored-with-baselight/

Reactions: Chuck_Kahn

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I have come around in recent years to question the color of the Blu-ray. Mind you, the disc looks rather filmic as a whole, but the orange color and brightness just seems a little questionable compared to how it may have looked before. Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade do not have this look at all. Some reputable sources have said they saw fairly recent non-faded 35mm prints of Raiders and it doesn't show these questionable aspects of the Blu-ray.

I am really curious if this is released next yr on UHD BD (Digital Bits I believe said it's rumored) how this will all be handled.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I have come around in recent years to question the color of the Blu-ray. Mind you, the disc looks rather filmic as a whole, but the orange color and brightness just seems a little questionable compared to how it may have looked before. Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade do not have this look at all. Some reputable sources have said they saw fairly recent non-faded 35mm prints of Raiders and it doesn't show these questionable aspects of the Blu-ray.

I am really curious if this is released next yr on UHD BD (Digital Bits I believe said it's rumored) how this will all be handled.
Since this debate first started back in 2012, two original 35mm prints have been scanned (unfaded Kodak and slightly faded Fuji) which clearly show the blu-ray has had the orange/teal treatment and been overly brightened. Plus the circa 2011 restoration shown on Japanese TV (and briefly streamed on Hulu) which is very similar looking to the restorations done around the same time for Temple of Doom and Last Crusade (on blu-ray) and more in line with the previous home video versions and 35mm prints of Raiders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave H

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Well, it's Paramount, so I'm not gonna place any bets that they fix it for the 4K release.
Hopefully Spielberg is involved. But even so, isn't it true he supervised the 2012 transfer? I wonder if we just get more of the same.

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Since this debate first started back in 2012, two original 35mm prints have been scanned (unfaded Kodak and slightly faded Fuji) which clearly show the blu-ray has had the orange/teal treatment and been overly brightened. Plus the circa 2011 restoration shown on Japanese TV (and briefly streamed on Hulu) which is very similar looking to the restorations done around the same time for Temple of Doom and Last Crusade (on blu-ray) and more in line with the previous home video versions and 35mm prints of Raiders.
Jurassic Park on 3D (completed close to the same time as the latest Raiders) also has this orange push to it.

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I thought the first release was an excellent DBR so if it is reworked, the result could be outstanding. Or it could be worse. Who knows nowadays! But I suspect the people who would work on this project can be trusted to deliver the goods.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The DCP looks great. They just need to take that master and not mess with it.

Reactions: dpippel

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I saw a 2K DCP viewing a few years ago. Looked almost identical to the BD.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Those shots are a good comparison between the original 4K restoration (shown during 2011 30th anniversary screenings and on Japanese TV) and what was used for the 2012 IMAX and blu-ray releases. From what I can tell, both probably use the same negative scan and restoration by Laser Pacific, but the color grade was tweaked (orange and tealed) and a few shots digitally changed by Technicolor for the 2012 release. There is also more DNR and the sound is remixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: OliverK

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Therma123