What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Raiders of the Lost Ark -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The blu-ray looks significantly different from the 2011 restoration. I'd guess it was taken from the restoration master, but was pretty heavily tweaked with respect to colour and contrast.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I know it's not the same shot and I know it's an alternate version of the sequence, but note how the actors look in this photo from the original soundtrack album.

117237254-2.jpg

Neil

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Also note that the background on the UPS code label, which is printed along with the rest of the cover is, well, orange. It should be white, no? ;)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Also note that the background on the UPS code label, which is printed along with the rest of the cover is, well, orange. It should be white, no? ;)
No, it's also orange on the original LP. Mine is sitting right here.

Neil

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I've always thought the Blu looked excellent (and still do), but it's hard not to deny based on the caps that Dave provided that it varies from its original look. Dave, you're making me a believer now. :)
Haha, good to hear. I understand the skepticism. I have spent an unhealthy amount of time researching this because I wanted to know definitively myself. I'll have more comparisons soon.

I'm not debating what looks good, I know some people like the blu look and I think some of the desert scenes look pretty good. But it's a completely revised color palette.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Alrighty then. Regardless, the folks here who think that SCREENSHOTS are pretty much a worthless measure are gonna have a field day with using album cover photos to judge color timing. ;)

Dave MJ

Second Unit

Neil
I appreciate where you are going. but the caps I posted are from a legitimate low fade 35mm print. Not sketchy ebay photos or something I got from the internet. They are the real deal.

That is a promo photo with brighter lighting. If you look at the version here you can see that the walls of the bar are still gray and skin tones are more orange but not like the blu ray.

indy-marion-raiders1_1179876374-000.jpg

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It was just to counter the "orange is wrong". I quickly found an image where they are indeed colored that way. I've had that album for nearly 35 years, so that image is burned into my mind. Maybe that's why the Blu-ray doesn't look so strange to me.

Neil

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Yes, the DCC is at the correct pitch. I believe (don't quote me on this) that the DCC represents Eric Tomlinson's film mixes, while the OST featured John Neal's album mixes. The OST and Concord release must have come from the same source, as they both feature incorrect pitch.

Maybe someday...

Neil

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Yes, the DCC is at the correct pitch. I believe (don't quote me on this) that the DCC represents Eric Tomlinson's film mixes, while the OST featured John Neal's album mixes. The OST and Concord release must have come from the same source, as they both feature incorrect pitch.

Maybe someday...

Neil
They are definitely different mixes, from the 2 track tape from the original sessions I believe. I prefer some of them to the album mixes on the OST. There are still differences in the film mixes, which I assume was a 4 or 6 track mix.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Alrighty then. Regardless, the folks here who think that SCREENSHOTS are pretty much a worthless measure are gonna have a field day with using album cover photos to judge color timing. ;)

Or a Laserdisc, or a DVD, or a 35mm exhibition print.;)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In cases like this, I adjust my color, contrast or brightness, accordingly, to how I think it's supposed to look. Had to do the same thing with the Extended Edition of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING last night, which looks to me to be too dark and desaturated.

I have no time for excessive grief. I want to watch my favorite movies. I want to enjoy myself. Besides, a perfect transfer is a subjective illusion, anyway. There's always going to be something that's not perfect, even if it's only Mr. Higgin's jacket ;-)

Dave MJ

Second Unit
In cases like this, I adjust my color, contrast or brightness, accordingly, to how I think it's supposed to look. Had to do the same thing with the Extended Edition of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING last night, which looks to me to be too dark and desaturated.

I have no time for excessive grief. I want to watch my favorite movies. I want to enjoy myself. Besides, a perfect transfer is a subjective illusion, anyway. There's always going to be something that's not perfect, even if it's only Mr. Higgin's jacket ;-)

No amount of adjustment on your TV can correct the color changes to Raiders, they are too extreme. When highs are blown out and detail is gone, you can't get it back. Believe me I've tried.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
No amount of adjustment on your TV can correct the color changes to Raiders, they are too extreme. When highs are blown out and detail is gone, you can't get it back. Believe me I've tried.
I understand that, but I can make it watchable for me. It's too painful to think I couldn't watch and enjoy Raiders. Life is tough enough to think I could never enjoy this movie again. I have a special custom setting on my TV just for the Raiders BD (that took me a while to achieve), and I am at peace with it. Maybe if they do a 4K and I can get a good BD transfer from the 4K, but in the meantime, I have to keep loving this movie. I don't know what else to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks