What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Miss Sloane (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've never been one to shy away from disagreeing with critics, and this is one of those times.

John Madden's (Shakespeare in Love) film about a DC lobbyist may have felt the angst, frustration and disapproval of the long 2016 election, and arriving almost day and date with the final vote, it may have been a topic many didn't wish to consider.

I screened it last night, and it's a solid entertainment, from screenplay to cinematography and editing, to performances.

It's an intelligent film, that always seems to be one step ahead of the viewer, so you'll have to watch carefully, and take in every detail.

It's the perfect candidate for Blu-ray and 4k, as at least a second viewing will be essential.

If you can catch it in theaters, it's well worth your time.

Watching Jessica Chastain, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Michael Stuhlbarg, Alison Pill, Sam Waterston and John Lithgow do their things is a rare treat.

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I agree! I saw an advance screening theatrically and later received a screener in the mail too. Marvelous film anchored by a superb performance by the wonderful Jessica Chastain. I'm on an awards nominating committee this year and this has been a marvelous year for actresses. Alas, with only 5 slots it's going to kill me to leave Chastain off.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This film has a two of my favorite actresses in it with Chastain and Mbatha-Raw so I'll be seeing it this weekend.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree! I saw an advance screening theatrically and later received a screener in the mail too. Marvelous film anchored by a superb performance by the wonderful Jessica Chastain. I'm on an awards nominating committee this year and this has been a marvelous year for actresses. Alas, with only 5 slots it's going to kill me to leave Chastain off.
Man, I loved this film. Chastain's character in this film is probably one of my favorites for her intelligence and her character faults. This was a role that Barbara Stanwyck or Bette Davis from yesteryear would have ate up.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I quite enjoyed it. The cast is, unsurprisingly, excellent and Jessica Chastain is going to win an Oscar at some point. It probably won't be this year (though I think she's got a chance at a nomination for this movie) but it'll happen eventually.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I quite enjoyed it. The cast is, unsurprisingly, excellent and Jessica Chastain is going to win an Oscar at some point. It probably won't be this year (though I think she's got a chance at a nomination for this movie) but it'll happen eventually.

I don't think the Tango backlash toward her is going to help her any this awards season. Yes, yes I know these decisions should be decided on merit and nothing else but as we all know, that's not always the case.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I absolutely loved this movie.

Was the hero gunner who killed the other one, a plant?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks