What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (3 Viewers)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But it's not his LoA thread, Rodney.

It's his "while we wait for his thread on LoA on Blu" thread--which has turned into a catchall for all kinds of interesting information over the years.
Ah, that explains that. Thank you.
I guess If I would have gone back a few pages on this I would have noticed that!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Interesting experiment, but I have rarely seen flicker in a silent film that looks like this at all -- very distracting. Add scratches, grain, whatever, but don't do the flicker. All else works well, including the editing, and a nice stereo score. But even films made to be viewed at 16 fps don't look like that to my eyes, unless this is meant to be a transfer from a damaged print. And I own a copy of POTEMKIN.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the links, but I gotta ask, why are they in your Lawrence of Arabia thread?
Obviously, this thread has been expanding beyond its original intention--but all in good directions. The reason for that, I feel, is that the people who follow this thread have a great appreciation for film formats, film preservation, and presenting great films properly in cinemas. The main reason I keep following this thread is I feel I'm within that Cinematic Club of similar lovers of epic films and a style of filmmaking that is unique; A dying art for some of us. Most of what Mr. Harris posts (as well as many others) seems to fall within these boundaries. I can't speak for Mr. Harris, but I sense he feels he can post articles or similar links to this thread knowing that he has a receptive and like-minded audience.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Obviously, this thread has been expanding beyond its original intention--but all in good directions. The reason for that, I feel, is that the people who follow this thread have a great appreciation for film formats, film preservation, and presenting great films properly in cinemas. The main reason I keep following this thread is I feel I'm within that Cinematic Club of similar lovers of epic films and a style of filmmaking that is unique; A dying art for some of us. Most of what Mr. Harris posts (as well as many others) seems to fall within these boundaries. I can't speak for Mr. Harris, but I sense he feels he can post articles or similar links to this thread knowing that he has a receptive and like-minded audience.
Hear hear!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I am glad to see that Spartacus has finally been seen fit to be added to the National Film Registry. Who would have dreamed that it would once be held in the same high regard as The Goonies or Superman?

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Just read about this "Nostromo" documentary, a couple of days after it aired.
Is it known if this documentary will air, again? Or, even better, become available on BD?

See trailer here - includes glimpses of storyboards for the film:

The docu includes excerpts from test footage with George Corraface as Nostromo, Tilda Swinton and Alan Rickman.
http://www.corraface.net/parcours/cine/nostromoen.htm

Reactions: PMF

Alberto_D

BANNED
Just for curiosity. When a film is sellected by The Library of Congress as part of the sellection for national film registry, what this brings in terms of help for film preservation and film restoration for the sellected titles ?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just for curiosity. When a film is sellected by The Library of Congress as part of the sellection fornational film registry, what this brings in terms of help for film preservation and film restoration for the sellected titles ?

They become Notorious

Alberto_D

BANNED
If Mr Harris hinself changed the subject a few times in this tread, making nice points about other subjects, I will risk do a bit of the same. ;)

Well, people think Star Wars (1977) did a great step foward in chroma key (blue screen) technology. But as far as I know they used used a vista vision camera for the FX optical composition, getting better results for a 35mm film than a direct 35mm optical printer composition. Anyway in the original (not digitally alterated version) I always noticed a lot of black contour and some other side effects in final composition.

But Ben Hur as far as I know was the first film to really creates a huge improvment for chroma key, despite use a alterated and much more labour process, that would allow even some semi transparent pieces to look acceptable.
Disney had the vapor sodium screen, used combined with a special prism for 35mm cameras, resulting in the advance we saw in Mary Poppins, where even her white transparent fabric in her hat could get in com position without problems.
But Ben Hur was a 65mm format and the prism (the only one created that worked) was just for 35mm cameras, making the sodiun vapor screen not suitable for Ben Hur effects. That's why they developed another blue screen technic, with much less side effects than the technic used for The Ten Commandments..

Star Wars had so much optical composition, with so much different elements, that it would probably, at the time and at the budget, to difficult and expansible use the advanced labor blue screen technic used for Ben Hur.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks