What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
There was also the fun of watching an errant hair wave in the corner of the frame while the film played. Or watching the quality of the film deteriorate as we got closer to a reel change. Or, for that matter, seeing those dots in the right hand corner to notify of a reel change. The good old days.

(On a different but similar side note, I do recall seeing Doctor Zhivago being screened at a tiny theater in San Francisco. The film was a bit out of focus, so I spoke to the manager who asked me if I wanted to "set the focus". Off we went upstairs to the projection room where I stuck my head through the little window and tweaked the focus until it was perfect. I still recall which scene it was: When Lara and Yuri meet and Lean cuts to the cable creating a spark. For a fan of the film and David Lean, it was a memorable moment that felt like a scene out of Cinema Paradiso.)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I always found that 8k initiative by the Japanese silly for both movie content and TV signal transmission.

Practical screen size/viewing distance ratios seldom allow for making full use of 4k screens. Instead of acknowleding that they go for a complete fantasy format with on top of that 22.2 sound - which is probably even more impractical.

I can understand the rationale of capturing in 8k and watching in 4k but then there should still be a Japanese 4k TV station airing 4k programming now.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I have seen 8K several times now. Makes sense for modern 65mm negatives (4K is not enough) and new digital cameras. For delivery 4K is all we need at home. Full res 4K 4:4:4, I mean.
16K is nice too. I work daily with it, but only on my computer and for a 4K master. :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OliverK said:
I always found that 8k initiative by the Japanese silly for both movie content and TV signal transmission.

Practical screen size/viewing distance ratios seldom allow for making full use of 4k screens. Instead of acknowleding that they go for a complete fantasy format with on top of that 22.2 sound - which is probably even more impractical.

I can understand the rationale of capturing in 8k and watching in 4k but then there should still be a Japanese 4k TV station airing 4k programming now.
I tend to agree although i'd love more channels for sound, the problem is the cost of the amplification, oh and the speakers, but i'd love to get some height channels, an overhead speaker channel ( Auro 3D ) in fact three front speakers, three height front speakers, 2 wide front speakers, a centre overhead speaker, maybe two of these spaced out, 2 rear speakers, 2 rear back speakers, a rear back centre speaker, 3 rear back height speakers, maybe a couple of floor speakers underneath the listening position, oh and sound mixers that really go to town and make use of the speakers, yeah i'm for more speakers but i'd have to save and build it up.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I tend to agree although i'd love more channels for sound, the problem is the cost of the amplification, oh and the speakers, but i'd love to get some height channels, an overhead speaker channel ( Auro 3D ) in fact three front speakers, three height front speakers, 2 wide front speakers, a centre overhead speaker, maybe two of these spaced out, 2 rear speakers, 2 rear back speakers, a rear back centre speaker, 3 rear back height speakers, maybe a couple of floor speakers underneath the listening position, oh and sound mixers that really go to town and make use of the speakers, yeah i'm for more speakers but i'd have to save and build it up.
For a while there I thought you were kidding but I take it you are indeed serious wanting about 20 speakers :)

I will agree in so far that the sound mixers would have to make it more worthwhile to have more speakers. One thing that I would really like to have back would be directional dialogue - I really like the setup with 5 front channels in the old 6-track magnetic system.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Michel_Hafner said:
I have seen 8K several times now. Makes sense for modern 65mm negatives (4K is not enough) and new digital cameras. For delivery 4K is all we need at home. Full res 4K 4:4:4, I mean.
16K is nice too. I work daily with it, but only on my computer and for a 4K master.
Those are some big numbers you are handling - moving or still pictures?

Having seen Samsara in 4k I have to say that it has a certain look that I have yet to see with a movie shot in digital, The Master as a 70mm print also was very impressive. Let's hope we will get a few more movies that are shot with 65mm 5-perf.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
OliverK said:
Let's hope we will get a few more movies that are shot with 65mm 5-perf.
Apparently, Quentin Tarantino intends to shoot his next film in 65mm (he indicated such in the actual screenplay).

Vincent

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Vincent_P said:
Apparently, Quentin Tarantino intends to shoot his next film in 65mm (he indicated such in the actual screenplay).

Vincent
Wasn't that the western that he has now shelved as the screenplay was leaked on the web?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OliverK said:
Wasn't that the western that he has now shelved as the screenplay was leaked on the web?
The Hateful Eight, i don't know if it's a western or what it's about but i think they recently said it's back on.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Our Blu-Rays will probably last longer than the studios digital masters. If they're that foolish not to invest in digital preservation, I'll sell them back my collection in 25 years. At least they'll have a 1080p copy. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks