What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (4 Viewers)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Now kind of out in 4k according to a post on AVSforum:

I mentioned in the other thread for the x900a, that I downloaded Lawrence of Arabia. Check it out. At least look at the preview. It is quite something to behold. This and Life Cycles are the two best 4K movies I have seen so far. Lawrence is breathtaking in every way.

Boldened part by me.
Now where is that black cakebox and a compatible Sony 4k projector when I need them...

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
While talking about the casting of Wayne as Lawrence I would really like to see the 'elaborate' screen test of Albert Finney who was originally offered the role and supposedly turned it down stating he didn't want to be tied up in the desert for such a long period of time or be under long term contract to Sam Spiegel. I'm sure RAH had a chance to discuss this casting with David Lean.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Paul Rossen said:
While talking about the casting of Wayne as Lawrence I would really like to see the 'elaborate' screen test of Albert Finney who was originally offered the role and supposedly turned it down stating he didn't want to be tied up in the desert for such a long period of time or be under long term contract to Sam Spiegel. I'm sure RAH had a chance to discuss this casting with David Lean.
The extras on the Blu-ray disc (and the previous DVD) are a bit of a wasted opportunity. Putting aside all copyright problems, that Finney screen test would have been a marvellous extra - a 35mm print exists at the BFI Archive - not only for its value to see Finney as TEL but also to hear some of Michael Wilson's original screenplay. Also, the BBC's superb documentary, Lawrence and Arabia, would have put the real TEL into thorough historical context and I would also have added A Dangerous Man, the underrated TV-movie about TEL's involvement in the Paris peace talks. Ralph Fiennes makes a superb TEL in my view.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
I'm just trying to imagine the Duke delivering the line "Themistocles....a Greek philosopher".
And I always imagined someone else altogether in the role of the enigmatic TE Lawrence:

gallery_286742_34_142946.jpg

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
AdrianTurner said:
The extras on the Blu-ray disc (and the previous DVD) are a bit of a wasted opportunity. Putting aside all copyright problems, that Finney screen test would have been a marvellous extra - a 35mm print exists at the BFI Archive - not only for its value to see Finney as TEL but also to hear some of Michael Wilson's original screenplay. Also, the BBC's superb documentary, Lawrence and Arabia, would have put the real TEL into thorough historical context and I would also have added A Dangerous Man, the underrated TV-movie about TEL's involvement in the Paris peace talks. Ralph Fiennes makes a superb TEL in my view.
I use excerpts from Lawrence and A Dangerous Man in my Modern Middle Eastern History course to illustrate a number of points about changes in the way filmmakers approach historical subjects over time, as well as providing visual shorthand for some of the reading material when we cover that period. I believe Spielberg chose Fiennes to be in Schindler's List in part because he liked his performance as Lawrence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks