What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
You will get HDR on your PJ but it will not automatically adjust black levels which is how I understand DV works.
Should look fantastic on your BIG screen.

I've only a few 4K UHD Blu-rays with Dolby Vision. Haven't noticed anything abnormal when viewed on the projector. From what I've read about the differences between the static vs dynamic rendering of the HDR, perhaps it's subtle enough as not to ruin things very much. I guess I'll find out in a few months.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've only a few 4K UHD Blu-rays with Dolby Vision. Haven't noticed anything abnormal when viewed on the projector. From what I've read about the differences between the static vs dynamic rendering of the HDR, perhaps it's subtle enough as not to ruin things very much. I guess I'll find out in a few months.
All UHD discs with Dolby Vision also include HDR10 encoding, so any UHD you have played on your non-DV setup has played automatically in HDR10.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Pre-Ordered.

But I don't know of any projectors that include Dolby Vision. I'm sure this will look great on my 65" LG C9 (which does Dolby Vision). But since graduating to projection, I've always preferred viewing LOA on my largest screen. Will Dolby Vision play nice with projectors that can only handle HDR10?

BTW, the projector I'll be using is the Sony 885ES.

You'll be watching the HDR10 layer. The key for good HDR on projectors is good tone mapping. The Sony projectors will not do as good of a job compared to external sources. MadVr products or Lumagen are King given their dynamic mapping abilities, but the Panasonic 820 does a very good job at SDR BT 2020 with a 2.4 gamma. It's also a relatively inexpensive and simple approach. The others I mentioned are very expensive, or complex if you want to use a HTPC. I use the 820 on my JVC projector and have been happy with every disc I throw at it.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
You'll be watching the HDR10 layer. The key for good HDR on projectors is good tone mapping. The Sony projectors will not do as good of a job compared to external sources. MadVr products or Lumagen are King given their dynamic mapping abilities, but the Panasonic 820 does a very good job at SDR BT 2020 with a 2.4 gamma. It's also a relatively inexpensive and simple approach. The others I mentioned are very expensive, or complex if you want to use a HTPC. I use the 820 on my JVC projector and have been happy with every disc I throw at it.

Thanks. I already own the Panasonic DP-UB820. I will definitely be checking out some tutorials for the tone mapping settings when LOA 4K arrives.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Surprised that Sony isn’t doing any of these in the new Imax Enhanced versions as they are doing on there newer films. Seems like DTS and Imax are now trying to compete with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Surprised that Sony isn’t doing any of these in the new Imax Enhanced versions as they are doing on there newer films. Seems like DTS and Imax are now trying to compete with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Looking online, I don't see how IMAX enhancement would accomplish anything different other than DTS:X instead of Dolby Atmos.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Looking online, I don't see how IMAX enhancement would accomplish anything different other than DTS:X instead of Dolby Atmos.
I don’t either. I am still trying to figure it out. I noticed a lot of recent Sony films like Zombieland Double Tap, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, Charlie’s Angels all have this so called Imax Enhancement. All of them had Atmos tracks. It seems like it’s DTS and Imax trying to compete with Dolby Vision and Atmos at home. Even though at the end of the day, it juse seems like DTSX and HDR10 with an Imax logo on the package.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I don’t either. I am still trying to figure it out. I noticed a lot of recent Sony films like Zombieland Double Tap, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, Charlie’s Angels all have this so called Imax Enhancement. All of them had Atmos tracks. It seems like it’s DTS and Imax trying to compete with Dolby Vision and Atmos at home. Even though at the end of the day, it juse seems like DTSX and HDR10 with an Imax logo on the package.

"IMAX Enhanced" is essentially the new "THX Certified."

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Just watched the bonus features on the 'Rise of Skywalker' disc. The sections showing the filming in Wadi Rum are very evocative - lots of landscapes looking vaguely familiar........:)

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this right after the restoration premier, at the Big Newport in Newport Beach. Largest screen west of the Mississippi (they advertised, 85 feet). Brand new 70mm print, first showing. Striking! Spectacular! Lush! All the words. A real cinema experience.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
1. i assume Robert worked on the latest restoration for the UHD?
2. 35mm resolves around 3.5k, at what resolution does 70mm resolve 5k, 6k? 8k?
3. forgive me for intermixing terms, but is there more HDR information in 70mm than 35mm? seems to me that hdr on catalog 35mm is a bit 'meh. does 70mm have more dynamic color/light than 35mm? and if so, would 70mm look better in Dolby Vision than the same film in 35mm?

just things i think about when i wash dishes :lol:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
1. i assume Robert worked on the latest restoration for the UHD?
2. 35mm resolves around 3.5k, at what resolution does 70mm resolve 5k, 6k? 8k?
3. forgive me for intermixing terms, but is there more HDR information in 70mm than 35mm? seems to me that hdr on catalog 35mm is a bit 'meh. does 70mm have more dynamic color/light than 35mm? and if so, would 70mm look better in Dolby Vision than the same film in 35mm?

just things i think about when i wash dishes :lol:
I think the general equation is that 8K is to 70mm what 4K is to 35mm. I wouldn't think the dynamic range of film would be any different across guages. Film is film, whether it's 8mm or 70mm - the only difference is finer grain, hence more detail.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I think the general equation is that 8K is to 70mm what 4K is to 35mm. I wouldn't think the dynamic range of film would be any different across guages. Film is film, whether it's 8mm or 70mm - the only difference is finer grain, hence more detail.

8k in 65mm is 4k

Reactions: PMF

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Just wanted to announced that today I have decided to do a soft re-launch of the DavidLean.com website. This has been months in the making with multiple re-designs as well as rebuilding it twice (long story). But now the site is fully Desktop, Tablet, and Phone friendly. It is still very much in its infancy. My goal is to make it more than just a glorified IMDB page by including more research materials as well as analysis and documents.

Almost all of the images have been sourced from my own collection of Blu-Rays and 4K videos, making the site as visual as possible. Future items will include scans of marketing materials, souvenir booklets, audio interview, and expanded online video documentaries and analysis.

I'm sure there are plenty of errors, so please feel free to point them out to me via private message here. (Site doesn't have a contact form yet.) Please let me know if you have any content you'd like to provide. And if you have any suggestions on how to improve it, I'd welcome that too. This is a site I've maintained for two decades and it has grown (and shrunk) over the years. Hopefully, with more involvement from the community, it can be a great hub of information again.

Thanks!

Ron Paquet

Agent
Real Name
Ron Paquet
Just wanted to announced that today I have decided to do a soft re-launch of the DavidLean.com website. This has been months in the making with multiple re-designs as well as rebuilding it twice (long story). But now the site is fully Desktop, Tablet, and Phone friendly. It is still very much in its infancy. My goal is to make it more than just a glorified IMDB page by including more research materials as well as analysis and documents.

Almost all of the images have been sourced from my own collection of Blu-Rays and 4K videos, making the site as visual as possible. Future items will include scans of marketing materials, souvenir booklets, audio interview, and expanded online video documentaries and analysis.

I'm sure there are plenty of errors, so please feel free to point them out to me via private message here. (Site doesn't have a contact form yet.) Please let me know if you have any content you'd like to provide. And if you have any suggestions on how to improve it, I'd welcome that too. This is a site I've maintained for two decades and it has grown (and shrunk) over the years. Hopefully, with more involvement from the community, it can be a great hub of information again.

Thanks!
Looking forward to seeing your new site!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks