A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
There was an international prologue, that ran at the tail of the overture, before the logo, which gave historical background. It may have been used briefly, but I found no evidence. DL felt it unnecessary for the reconstruction, but it does serve as a very interesting artifact.

it’s being seen here for the first time since December of 1962.
I saw it in Puerto Rico, first run. It gave me the background that I needed to understand what I was about to see. I was barely 13 and knew nothing about Lawrence and Arabia. It was a good introduction.

MikeP72

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike Payne
Finally.
Day one purchase for me. The some of the other movies in the set will make good gifts for my friends.
Dolby vision -
It might even make Anthony Quinns nose look good.:D

OliverK

Producer
Reaction score
Finally.
Day one purchase for me. The some of the other movies in the set will make good gifts for my friends.
Dolby vision -
It might even make Anthony Quinns nose look good.:D
Unfortunately higher resolution has not been kind to his nose but you get to cherish the opportunity to see it in all its fake glory.

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Hopefully LoA will get its own UHD release eventually. While I enjoy Mr. Smith, Dr. Strangelove and Gandhi, I don't feel any need to upgrade from the BD's for those, nor the DVD of A League of Their Own. I have no desire to pay for Jerry Maquire again (I have the DVD, but haven't felt the desire to watch it again for a very long time).

In the meantime, I can hope that my iTunes 4K version upgrades to Dolby Vision when this gets released.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Timothy
The box set is halfway interesting to me, but I'm hopeful for individual releases. I really just want LoA, Gandhi and maybe Dr. Strangelove, but I have the Criterion and it's great.

Brian Husar

Second Unit
Reaction score
Do we know if the films that had 5.1 mixes will be upgraded to Atmos like other Sony/Columbia 4k releases?

usrunnr

Writer
Reaction score
Real Name
usrunnr
We saw "Barry Lyndon" there long before home video and long after the original run at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. Still have the program. (Also have a set of lobby cards)

Reactions: Brian Husar

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
upload_2020-4-16_10-8-50.jpeg

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Do we know if the films that had 5.1 mixes will be upgraded to Atmos like other Sony/Columbia 4k releases?
Per the press release...

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington: DTS-HD MA 2.0
Lawrence of Arabia: Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1
Dr. Strangelove: DTS-HD MA 2.0, DTS-HD MA 5.1
Gandhi: Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1, DTS-HD MA 2.0
A League of Their Own: Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1, DTS-HD MA 2.0
Jerry Maguire: Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1

Seems like we're getting original sound mixes in addition to remixes, all previously-available supplements (including all content from Criterion's edition of Dr. Strangelove and the Lawrence gift set exclusive disc), plus trailers that were omitted.

Reactions: Brian Husar

Dee Zee

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom
Per the press release...

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington: DTS-HD MA 2.0
Lawrence of Arabia: Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1
Dr. Strangelove: DTS-HD MA 2.0, DTS-HD MA 5.1
Gandhi: Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1, DTS-HD MA 2.0
A League of Their Own: Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1, DTS-HD MA 2.0
Jerry Maguire: Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1

Seems like we're getting original sound mixes in addition to remixes, all previously-available supplements (including all content from Criterion's edition of Dr. Strangelove and the Lawrence gift set exclusive disc), plus trailers that were omitted.
I feel it’s a shame they’re packaging Lawrence with these other titles.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
I wholeheartedly agree. What's the conventional wisdom on when this could get an individual 4K UHD blu-ray release? Years?

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Reactions: Craig_Ehr

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If Sony wasn't pricing this so reasonably, I'd be annoyed, but there's far worse ways to release a film than package it alongside films by Frank Capra and Stanley Kubrick, a fellow Best Picture winner, and two 90s box office hits. I've actually wanted to see Gandhi, A League of Their Own, and Jerry Maguire - so I get three of my favorite films plus I get to see three films for the very first time via UHD.

Reactions: OliverK

Reed Grele

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Reed Grele
Pre-Ordered.

But I don't know of any projectors that include Dolby Vision. I'm sure this will look great on my 65" LG C9 (which does Dolby Vision). But since graduating to projection, I've always preferred viewing LOA on my largest screen. Will Dolby Vision play nice with projectors that can only handle HDR10?

BTW, the projector I'll be using is the Sony 885ES.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Reaction score
You will get HDR on your PJ but it will not automatically adjust black levels which is how I understand DV works.
Should look fantastic on your BIG screen.

OliverK

Producer
Reaction score
Pre-Ordered.

But I don't know of any projectors that include Dolby Vision. I'm sure this will look great on my 65" LG C9 (which does Dolby Vision). But since graduating to projection, I've always preferred viewing LOA on my largest screen. Will Dolby Vision play nice with projectors that can only handle HDR10?

BTW, the projector I'll be using is the Sony 885ES.
The 885 is a fantastic projector. You will be very happy watching Lawrence with it, never mind about Dolby Vision.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2