What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Remember the new 70mm/Datasat print is a 4K digital out , I do not think it looks as good as the 1989 version but the 5.1 audio
is very good.

One might argue that instead of watching a filmout from 4k it is better to just go all the way and watch a straight digital 4k presentation in a cinema with a high contrast single projector.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Remember the new 70mm/Datasat print is a 4K digital out , I do not think it looks as good as the 1989 version but the 5.1 audio
is very good.

I don't think the new 70mm prints look as good either. I have seen the 89 70mm prints, the recent digital out prints, and also the 4K DCP at the Castro Theater. For my money, the 89 prints were the best, despite issues fixed digitally.

IMHO 4k is simply not enough for 70mm either for DCP or digital out prints.

The Castro has been my only opportunity to see films in 4K DCP as well as 70mm, and the only two films I have seen this way are Lawrence and Vertigo, so obviously this is not enough of a sample.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Be aware, that in summer screenings, theaters have been known to make the air conditioning warmer, and add extra salt to the popcorn.

Best to bring water.

A true story:

-- In the summer of 1963, we were running Lawrence in 70mm at the Capri in Des Moines, IA. The audience kept complaining that the air conditioning was broken. We showed people the thermometer that was in the 60's.

-- In 1966, we were running Zhivago (35mm 4 track) at the Holiday. (The Capri was still busy with The Sound of Music, which ran for 2 years 2 months.) We turned the air conditioning totally off on many days because people kept complaining that it was freezing. People would actually shiver.

As far as I know, the amount of salt was not affected in either case.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I can testify to freezing through Act 2 of Dr. Zhivago every blessed time I saw it.
Talk about freezing during the show. I once took a date to Doctor Zhivago, who's cold shoulder became increasingly apparent, as the film progressed during her first-time viewing. At the show's end; a summer matinee in the days of revival houses; I said, "Well, what did you think?" And adamantly, she replied, "There are better ways to spend an afternoon than this". Well, in my internal thoughts, that was a deal breaker; as Doctor Zhivago has remained one of my lifetime favorites.
Funny, though, as she was actually surprised when I turned her down for another date.
I mean, yah, sure, we were only 19 at the time;
but, seriously, who would want to keep dating a person who doesn't appreciate a film by David Lean?

Last edited:

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Talk about freezing during the show. I once took a date to Doctor Zhivago, who's cold shoulder became increasingly apparent, as the film progressed during her first-time viewing. At the show's end; a summer matinee in the days of revival houses; I said, "Well, what did you think?" And adamantly, she replied, "There are better ways to spend an afternoon than this". Well, in my internal thoughts, that was a deal breaker; as Zhivago has remained one of my lifetime favorites.
Funny, though, as she was actually surprised when I turned her down for another date.
I mean, yah, sure, we were only 19 at the time;
but, seriously, who would want to keep dating a person who doesn't appreciate a film by David Lean?

I recall taking a date to see Zhivago. She was notorious for hating long films, so I didn't tell her that there was an intermission. When it arrived, I looked over and said "so, I guess you are ready to go?" She said "Absolutely not! This movie is great!" That was a very triumphant moment.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I recall taking a date to see Zhivago. She was notorious for hating long films, so I didn't tell her that there was an intermission. When it arrived, I looked over and said "so, I guess you are ready to go?" She said "Absolutely not! This movie is great!" That was a very triumphant moment.
I hope you married her.:thumbs-up-smiley:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
So you've been married one year longer than me.
I do remember taking my wife Robyn (pictured, but not taken yesterday... she's on the left) to the Cinerama cinema in Paris in 1968 to see 2001: A Space Odyssey --shot in Panorama 70, while we were travelling together through India, France and Spain. But I don't think that's why we got married. That happened in London a few months later when we discovered that you couldn't rent a television for our apartment unless you either owned the apartment (as if!) or were married. A very primitive form of credit-check!

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I do remember taking my wife Robyn (pictured, but not taken yesterday... she's on the left) to the Cinerama cinema in Paris in 1968 to see 2001: A Space Odyssey --shot in Panorama 70, while we were travelling together through India, France and Spain. But I don't think that's why we got married. That happened in London a few months later when we discovered that you couldn't rent a television for our apartment unless you either owned the apartment (as if!) or were married. A very primitive form of credit-check!

Super Panavision 70?

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Super Panavision 70?
I'm betting that the answer will be "Yes";
as surveys and studies have shown that the foundation to all good marriages begins by bringing your date to a film that's presented in Super Panavision 70.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Anyone see this in theaters on Sunday through Fathom events? Any thoughts? I plan on seeing this on Wednesday but am surprised I haven't seen many comments.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anyone see this in theaters on Sunday through Fathom events? Any thoughts? I plan on seeing this on Wednesday but am surprised I haven't seen many comments.
They don't play Fathom events in my area any longer. Also, I watched it in a movie theater only about 3-4 years ago.

FatherDude

Agent
Real Name
Jason

I attended the evening showtime on Sunday at my local multiplex and was immensely pleased with the presentation -- and less so with the positive chatty group sitting nearby. It was clearly a DCP and not a broadcast. The movie was and is monumental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks