What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Not too sure about the Czech cover art but, hell, I wouldn't care a jot what they plastered on the cover, if it really is released! This is, without question, the most anticipated 4K UHD disc release to date. I have a standing invitation for my good friend Knut in Bergen to come and visit me to watch it, when the 4K disc is in my residence. He saw Lawrence Of Arabia for the first and only time, illegally, on a pirated pan-and-scan VHS version, while he was working in Saudi Arabia 20 years ago (the film is banned there). He claimed it was the most boring film he ever saw and that he fell asleep watching it. I've told him that I will eat my shoe (like Werner Herzog), if he does not change his opinion, after seeing it projected from a 4K disc!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I went to the link, but am unable to read in the Czech language;
otherwise, I would have had a better chance to decipher the stats on the page.
Let us hope that the pictured trademark of the silver "4K/UHD" markings against a black plastic band on the package are being used with legitimacy. Exciting news demands further clarifications. Translators welcomed.

Last edited:

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Translated:

Film v Ultra HD (3840 x 2160)
HDR (HDR-10)
Aspect ratio 2.20:1
Original version in Dolby Atmos
Czech subtitles
Czech dubbing in Dolby Digital 2.0
BD-100 (Three-layer UHDBD)

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Supposedly has a November release date.
Now that would be a good reason to finally up the screen size :)
Long before Lawrence, I've had plenty of reasons (but not monies) to up the screen size.
But, let's just say, that a 4K/UHD release of this desert masterpiece will most assuredly intensify my heated desires;
and, might I add, with the same exact proportions as being left behind to thirst beneath the sun's anvil.

Here's to Sweet November; be it Sandy or sands.:cool:

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Dolby Atmos???? Oh boy. Please announce this for the US soon.

Dolby Atmos!
Dolby Vision!
3D!
Smell-O-Vision!

Wait a second, do I really want that? ;)

It is a slippery slope when it comes to making changes to adapt movies to new formats but I trust that good taste will prevail with Sony.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Dolby Atmos!
Dolby Vision!
3D!
Smell-O-Vision!

Wait a second, do I really want that? ;)

It is a slippery slope when it comes to making changes to adapt movies to new formats but I trust that good taste will prevail with Sony.
They did it with the 89 release. 6 track Dolby Stereo Spectral Recording.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
They did it with the 89 release. 6 track Dolby Stereo Spectral Recording.

I would not really say that porting 6 channels over to the 6 channel standard at the time is quite the same amount of change as going full digital and to a completely different channel split with height channels on top. But as I said I trust that Sony will do the right thing - and hopefully include some kind of legacy sound mix, too.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
As 3D is dead, you're not going to buy it.
All I can say is, it sucks to be you.

After seeing properly restored films in 4k, who needs 3D?

All I can say is that you did not seem to get the joke, none of us obviously wants this movie to be in 3D video. I just find it interesting what it takes to release a classic title in 4k - not a good idea to release it without 3D sound and HDR these days as many customers (not directed at you or Brian) would feel cheated.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
All I can say is that you did not seem to get the joke, none of us obviously wants this movie to be in 3D video. I just find it interesting what it takes to release a classic title in 4k - not a good idea to release it without 3D sound and HDR these days as many customers (not directed at you or Brian) would feel cheated.
You are exactly right.
Sincrerely, my post was clueless, apologies.
For dummies like me, next time tack on an emoji.
Common practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks