What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Was surprised to see the announcements for screenings in September, but I guess this is common for these TCM big screen showings? I take it they use DCPs as opposed to satellite streams as well, right?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
My only theatrical experience was with the initial roadshow release, in my case in San Francisco when I was 16. I was amazed when the sound of a biplane came from the back of the theater and roared overhead. The initial, sweeping shots of the desert vistas complemented by Jarre's music mesmerized me. I talked someone, probably my older brother, into buying the soundtrack album, and used sections to accompany portions of slide shows I put together with my Yosemite Kodachromes.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Congratulations to Robert Harris.

With the 2019 Fathom Events, we've got ourselves "Lawrence of Arabia", "My Fair Lady" and "The Godfather Part II".
A true triple-crown of restorative excellence.:cheers:

Last edited:

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Living in the Bay Area again, Lawrence is shown regularly at The Castro theater. Most often in 70mm though I have seen it in DCP. But this is good news for those who don't have one of the greatest theaters in their city.

On a different topic, I've started working on another book focused on Lawrence and came across this little tidbit on IMDB. Granted, it is the Wikipedia of film history, but does ANYONE have any knowledge of this scene? I have never heard of this scene and my copy of the script doesn't make any reference to it. And photos? I haven't seen those either.

"The original release included a sequence in which Lawrence, after his arrival at Faisal's camp and before the journey into the Nefud Dresert, voluntarily undergoes a risky test of courage. He and Ali (Omar Sharif) both jump into a quicksand pit, which begins to swallow them. The idea is that whoever calls for help last has the most courage. Lawrence wins the contest, thus proving himself more worthy in the eyes of the Bedouins, particularly Ali, with whom he has been on unfriendly terms up until now. This scene helps explain why the Bedouins would follow him into the desert. It was excised from the later versions and was not included in the 1988 restoration. Still photos exist of it, however."

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Wow! What a scene. I saw LOA in December 1962 at the Criterion Theater in NYC. Recalled a number of scenes ultimately restored in 1988 but don't recall seeing this one. However, after all these years ones memory does fade.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Ron Paquet

Agent
Real Name
Ron Paquet
Living in the Bay Area again, Lawrence is shown regularly at The Castro theater. Most often in 70mm though I have seen it in DCP. But this is good news for those who don't have one of the greatest theaters in their city.

On a different topic, I've started working on another book focused on Lawrence and came across this little tidbit on IMDB. Granted, it is the Wikipedia of film history, but does ANYONE have any knowledge of this scene? I have never heard of this scene and my copy of the script doesn't make any reference to it. And photos? I haven't seen those either.

"The original release included a sequence in which Lawrence, after his arrival at Faisal's camp and before the journey into the Nefud Dresert, voluntarily undergoes a risky test of courage. He and Ali (Omar Sharif) both jump into a quicksand pit, which begins to swallow them. The idea is that whoever calls for help last has the most courage. Lawrence wins the contest, thus proving himself more worthy in the eyes of the Bedouins, particularly Ali, with whom he has been on unfriendly terms up until now. This scene helps explain why the Bedouins would follow him into the desert. It was excised from the later versions and was not included in the 1988 restoration. Still photos exist of it, however."

I have also heard of this and dismissed it as nonsense. Having said that it could be the kind of thing Peter and Omar could have done to amuse themselves.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I have also heard of this and dismissed it as nonsense. Having said that it could be the kind of thing Peter and Omar could have done to amuse themselves.

That sounds more likely. If you look at the flow the script, it makes ZERO sense to have that scene--it's not needed at all and both Lean and Bolt would have known that.

I also have requested that it be deleted from the Lawrence page on IMDB.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
“Organic” is my favorite indefinable term being used in these film vs. digital foo-fras.

The meaning of “organic” is simple.

Film-like, inclusive of scratches, cigarette-burn cue marks, occasional spices, and missing and damaged footage from heads and tails of reels.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
HTF was one of the first fully “organic” web sites.
Heck, my own membership with HTF was fully "organic";
as I followed the BD reviews for about a year before joining.
Since then, I remain exclusive to this forum and accept no substitutes.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks