What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
This looks like it will first be available for purchase on itunes or similar services and I would expect a 4k DCP to become available for theatrical screenings.

Be that as it may as far as I am concerned there better be a disc version, too or they will not get my money.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The comment regarding Paramount’s preservation program, as mentioned in a post above, is not hearsay. They’re doing some wonderful work.
I know they're doing wonderful work, but my question was whether this 4K restoration was completed mainly to preserve this film with digital or disc sales as an added revenue stream bonus?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you.

Let’s look at this without 4k passion.

Even as a home theater projected image, seated at a nominal distance, the difference between an HD or 4k image of a 1946 black & white film, will be minimal.

On a theater screen, there will be a difference, and that’s great, as the studio has made the investment.

I’m really not having a problem with a non-disc release. People who wish to steam it instead of HD...

Good for them.

The disc market is saturated with this title.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let’s look at this without 4k passion.

Even as a home theater projected image, seated at a nominal distance, the difference between an HD or 4k image of a 1946 black & white film, will be minimal.

On a theater screen, there will be a difference, and that’s great, as the studio has made the investment.

I’m really not having a problem with a non-disc release. People who wish to steam it instead of HD...

Good for them.

The disc market is saturated with this title.
As somebody that has bought this film title three times on DVD and twice on BD, I'm perfectly fine with having my HD download/stream on iTunes upgraded to 4K/HDR at no cost to myself as I bought it from iTunes during one of their previous sales last year or the year before that.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As somebody that has bought this film title three times on DVD and twice on BD, I'm perfectly fine with having my HD download/stream on iTunes upgraded to 4K/HDR at no cost to myself as I bought it from iTunes during one of their previous sales last year or the year before that.

Agreed. I see no downside here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Agreed. I see no downside here.
I can see downside to those that don't stream movies and want only physical media. I have empathy for them, but it's a changing market place for film buffs. A number of years ago I decided to be more adaptable to those changes. Yet, I got a shipment of discs today, some of them DVD and others on Blu-ray like the Frank Capra WWII docs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

But even with this, the film has undergone a restoration, correct? So it should be a version which has been improved upon in terms of its appearance.

So why maybe you believe the difference in resolution at home isn't worth the difference, there may be many who want to view this restored version on disc.

Let's not forget it is being marketed like this:

The studio spent over a year painstakingly restoring this treasured film, using the original nitrate negative along with two fine grain masters made in the 1940s. Each element was carefully scanned using the very latest technology to both preserve the delicate negative and create the best possible digital image. Fortunately, 13 of the 14 reels of the original negative survived, but portions had begun to deteriorate so the best image was selected from one of the three original sources on a shot-by-shot basis. The result is a more vibrant and detail-rich picture than has ever been available before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks