What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Great review on YouTube. I showed The Ten Commandments to a 25yr. old in my building and he stayed and watched it all. I was only going to watch til the intermission but we got caught up in it, so we watched til 3am!.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Anybody know what the bottle on her desk is?

Edit: Found it. Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon.

(hmmm.....)

Last edited:

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Cameron also pointed out the best part is at 5:45.

I would also put a special shout out for what she reveals at 5:20. After all, it was her seeing it in 70MM in a quality theater, seated among strangers sharing a common emotional response, even after being exposed to it previously in her family's living room as a youngster, that triggered her mission to buy it to own in the best pic and sound quality medium available today.

Like her, my first time seeing it was as a youngster (9 years old) with my family, too. But it wasn't in the family living room. We went as a family to a quality theater and saw it as she saw it in Hollywood recently. Even though I was also too young to understand and appreciate so many of the nuances, I suspect it was the commercial theater experience that made a critical difference between my very positive emotional response to it on first viewing vs her dismissal of it in her previous viewing.

Much of it "went over my head" back then, too, just as she said it did for her. But I couldn't dismiss it as she did because the power of a commercial theatrical experience, sitting in the dark among strangers hoping to have a common emotional response, being essentially forced by the environment to maintain total focus on the movie and how we are all feeling about it, a movie made by master filmmakers specifically to maintain the focus and elicit a common emotional response from a commercial theater audience in just that way, still picked me up and carried me along for the awesome ride anyway.

And, of course, that is also why I have continued my mission to buy and own those special movies in the best pic and sound quality available today.

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
At 62 I guess I look at a 25 year old with some bemusement and her way of expressing herself is not my cup of tea. But at least she got the importance of proper quality presentation.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
To me her voice and style take a bit to get used to but in the end she has her heart in the right place and she is bringing some much deserved attention to LOA AND the Blu-ray format from an unexpected direction which is highly appreciated.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I took a quick glance at a couple of her other videos and I think the standards thing looks be something of a constant.

As does the Blanton's.

Speaking of bottle age.

Last edited:

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Interesting review with some unexpected insights. And I'm super glad she has standards--that gives one hope for the future. But, like, I just wish, you know, her super standards were kind-of like extended to her vocabulary.

"he's actually, like, he's actually a middle-eastern dude, like, actually Egyptian"

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Interesting review with some unexpected insights. And I'm super glad she has standards--that gives one hope for the future. But, like, I just wish, you know, her super standards were kind-of like extended to her vocabulary.

"he's actually, like, he's actually a middle-eastern dude, like, actually Egyptian"

Well, she's aiming the video at an audience of her peers (Millennials, such as myself), which uses spoken language differently than older generations.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I doubt that any of her peers would have been less likely to pay attention if her presentation wasn't riddled with rhetorical crutches. Proper speech is proper speech.

I finally took the time to watch that video. it had been intriguing me since it's first posting in this thread but the time never seemed to be right.

A lot of solid and fair perceptions about the film and how our tastes change as we mature. Good for her.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
At last my turn to resurrect this thread: I've just seen the amazing Theeb on blu-ray. I purchased my copy from the US Amazon store but the blu-ray is region free. A superb adventure filmed on Kodak stock in Wadi Rum - an inverse Lawrence Of Arabia. You really need to check it out, Mr Harris - and fellow fans of the desert!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/theeb/?search=theeb

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
At last my turn to resurrect this thread: I've just seen the amazing Theeb on blu-ray. I purchased my copy from the US Amazon store but the blu-ray is region free. A superb adventure filmed on Kodak stock in Wadi Rum - an inverse Lawrence Of Arabia. You really need to check it out, Mr Harris - and fellow fans of the desert!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/theeb/?search=theeb

Suggestion appreciated!

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Hello Mr. Harris!

Been meaning to ask you for a long time --- will the full balcony scene from LOA be restored and protected for 65 mm or, at least, HD?

The footage was, after all, part of the premiere version.

And Peter O´Toole´s redubbing of his lines seem to have been accepted by Sir David.

Two good reasons, in my humble opinion, to view the scene as especially valuable archive material, worthy of full image restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks