What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ La La Land (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Are you fellows twelve-years-old. Be happy that it's doing well, but enough already. At the time I made my posts it was doing - wait for it - OKAY. And you have no idea how much Lionsgate is spending on this film's promotion - no idea. If it does beautifully, great. I have no horse in this race, and your behavior here in your not-so-subtle and endless childish digs is kind of silly. Just my two centimes.

Sorry if my teasing got on your nerves. I keep forgetting I have thicker skin than most people. I was hoping you'd take it like a good sport but I do sincerely apologize if you took it personally. But some of us are overjoyed that a quality film is actually making money instead of the usual multiplex junk that people line up for. Just my 2 centimes :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Saw La La Land for the fourth time this afternoon, only this time it was in IMAX. What a revelation in that it was a different movie entirely. Huge screen, great presentation, fantastic sound created an impressive experience that knocked my socks off. I will see this again in IMAX.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Years ago, nearer the dawn of the inter-web, in the days when rooms were text driven...

Someone wrote about the methodology of reconstructing Lawrence. And took the attitude that they knew the subject matter.

Much of it was incorrect.

It was suggested that I comment, and correct, which I did.

Shortly, thereafter, someone posted that it reminded them of being back in school, and doing something improper...

Being unaware that the teacher had entered the room via another entrance. A cute comment.

Point being, with a generally anonymous web, when people are accurately identified, they still seem anonymous to many readers.

A bit like having a conversation in a crowded restaurant, not knowing who might be seated, facing away from you, at the next table...

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The full Golden Globes Cold Open (including the CinemaScope logo) can be viewed here. AND, it's at the correct aspect ratio.

Rant: The people on YouTube that grab content that's not their own and repost it (frequently improperly) drive me nuts. Technically speaking, the one Mike linked is a copyright violation. I'm sure YouTube will yank it down at some point. And, yes, I realize it's not Mike's video.

Mark

I think it's pretty sad when the opening to the Golden Globes contains more star power, originality, audacity and yes - talent - than the actual movie they are paying homage to. At least Jimmy Fallon can sing!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I think it's pretty sad when the opening to the Golden Globes contains more star power, originality, audacity and yes - talent - than the actual movie they are paying homage to. At least Jimmy Fallon can sing!

Wow, you are being quite insulting to, not only Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, but also the roughly 90% of the population that liked the film.

I grant that Stone and Gosling aren't the world's greatest singers. But I look at the whole package. I look at how hard they worked to prepare to put those performances up on the big screen. You think they don't know that they aren't world's best singers? Yet, they still agreed to stick their necks out and go for it. They worked their asses off to deliver decent singing performances. Some parts were actually quite good.

This isn't a movie about aspiring singers wanting to land a role singing in a huge Broadway production. This movie is about an aspiring actress and aspiring jazz piano player wanting to be successful in those endeavors. The singing and dancing is part and parcel to how the story is told. Ryan Gosling even learned to play the piano for this role.

It's easy to sit in the cheap seats and throw tomatoes. It's quite another thing to have the intestinal fortitude to tackle a role that you are probably uncomfortable with, rehearse and practice your ass off for months in a row, and then get behind those cameras and lights and bring the whole package together as best you possibly can.

Clearly, Stone and Gosling have earned the appreciation they are seeing from the majority of the populace. I'm pretty sure they can ignore you without peril.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, you are being quite insulting to, not only Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, but also the roughly 90% of the population that liked the film.

Mark
His critique of the film doesn't reflect on those that liked the film. He didn't like the film while you loved it. It's call a difference of opinion regarding appreciation of this film and doesn't reflect on anybody. No matter their film opinion.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Although his post seemed as though it was stated as fact not opinion. Just sayin...

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Why all this fuss about the quality of their singing. Have you ever listened to the radio? Almost nobody has a great classically trained voice today, and even in the golden age of MGM musicals, things were spotty. Listen to the original cast recordings of Brigadoon and then the painful warbling of Gene Kelly in the movie version.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
And make the Canadian's pay for it...

No, I'll let the Yanks pay for this one. It's their mess. They should clean it up!

Honestly, I don't get the open hostility here. I sincerely thought of this as a forum and as such all opinions ought to be valid.

PS - not attacking the majority who think its awesome. If I had wanted to be catty I would have quoted the old adage about great minds thinking alike - and fools seldom differing. But I digress.

I did not like La La Land and for a lot of 'legitimate' reasons outlined in my own review of the movie posted elsewhere on the internet.

PPS - by definition, a forum should be open not only to ALL fact, but ALL opinion. Never claimed by opinion WAS fact, folks. If you're reading into this, you've been misdirected in your judgement call.

PPPS - Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Mine may differ from yours. In point of fact, it does and I am exceeding grateful for it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Why all this fuss about the quality of their singing. Have you ever listened to the radio? Almost nobody has a great classically trained voice today, and even in the golden age of MGM musicals, things were spotty. Listen to the original cast recordings of Brigadoon and then the painful warbling of Gene Kelly in the movie version.
Yeah, I would imagine that they were smart enough to prioritize things above singing ability when casting the movie. Just because someone can sing better doesn't mean that they also have the acting ability, star power or chemistry that Gosling or Stone have.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And as much as I love Moulin Rouge, Gosling and Stone do a much better job singing than either Kidman or McGregor I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks