What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For anyone interested, LoA in 4K is available on iTunes today for $4.99, along with The Bridge on the River Kwai.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Cue the chorus of: "But it's not on disc."

May have to do with the thread title:

While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray

I had a look in the streaming forum but it seems there was no big and interesting thread there about Lawrence in 4k itunes or Lawrence in 4k Amazon. Maybe somebody wants to add to the existing thread that has amassed a total of two posts and move the discussion about the 4k low bitrate streaming version without HD sound over there ;)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
For anyone interested, LoA in 4K is available on iTunes today for $4.99, along with The Bridge on the River Kwai.
Thanks for the reminder, this is a very good price for people who want their 4k fix and after all we are still waiting for a release date for the UHD Blu-ray and it could be another two years until it gets released.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
May have to do with the thread title:

While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray

I had a look in the streaming forum but it seems there was no big and interesting thread there about Lawrence in 4k itunes or Lawrence in 4k Amazon. Maybe somebody wants to add to the existing thread that has amassed a total of two posts and move the discussion about the 4k low bitrate streaming version without HD sound over there ;)

It's not on disc, but come on, it's FIVE BUCKS, and it looks pretty darned nice. IMO definitely worth a purchase if you're a fan of this film, as I'd assume most people reading this thread are.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It's not on disc, but come on, it's FIVE BUCKS, and it looks pretty darned nice. IMO definitely worth a purchase if you're a fan of this film, as I'd assume most people reading this thread are.

I'm definitely fine with the price - as you say it is only five bucks and we do not even know when the UHD disc gets released. Still I can understand people who may only be interested in a disc version for whatever reason and I found it funny to find almost no posts about the streaming version on the streaming forum :)

Of course we would not even need to waste a single word on this if there already was a UHD disc release instead of a great movie like Lawrence that is perfect for a 4k release only being available via streaming or downloading since at least 2014.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Streaming versions can be extremely difficult to review, as at least partial quality comes down to speed of one’s personal data throughput.

Indeed. There are many factors which can have an effect on the quality of streaming video that have nothing to do with the quality of the source data.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
On YouTube. "Films at Home". His post of 2-1-20. At about the 7 minute mark.
YouTube is somewhere around Wikipedia on the scale of trustworthy sources that won't pass muster on even a school paper, so I'd take that "news" with a couple hundred grains of salt.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Streaming versions can be extremely difficult to review, as at least partial quality comes down to speed of one’s personal data throughput.

Yes, exactly why I do not use streaming for anything I am serious about. And I have a very good Internet connection. If it is hard for a professional reviewer to review, it is hard for me to watch.

Streaming is the modern version of watching a movie on a 16mm print broadcast from your local TV station. It is the bottom of the food chain.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I posted this in another thread in the digital streaming forum...

I just bought Lawrence of Arabia on digital for $4.99 today.

Since I was watching another film I bought at the same time, I only sampled a few scenes of Lawrence.

I could not believe what I was seeing. It was the absolute most gorgeous 4k transfer I have ever seen. It is the absolute demo of what 4k is all about. It was just perfectly beautiful. A disc would not have looked better than this.

I have a very fast Internet connection in my home so 4k always looks fantastic. But Lawrence of Arabia digital? It goes beyond what I ever expected from digital and certainly gives high hopes for more of what this format can offer.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Ron, Was there any banding? A good scene to check for this is the "Suns Anvil" where the sun is glowing white hot. Or any scene where there are gradient colors, i.e. skies. Dust storms are also difficult with added compression.

Last edited:

MikeP72

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Payne
Long time lurker, just had to say.....
System: Sony 65Z9D (calibrated), Apple 4K, 250 internet connection, Orbi with satellite, T.V. and Apple hard wired to satellite. Seating 4 feet from screen.
This movie was the reason I went to 4k. One word on picture quality, AMAZING. I second the opinion of Ronald.
General Murrays uniform texture and desk, such detail.
The 'you may drink scene'. such detail and color, the camel almost looks like it's sticking it's nose out of the screen.
The scene of riding through the two pyramid shaped out croppings. Wisps of sand coming off the hoofs of the camels while walking.
The binocular scene spying on the Bedu. Just before, the sand swirling around, beautiful. The sparkle of the sand as they are laying looking out.
The scene of Lawrence looking at his reflection in the knife. The sparkle coming off his gold headband.
The suns anvil scenes, pristine.
I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Seen this movie many times, in theater and home. Watching it the first time in 4K I was stunned. Am I a fan of streaming, not really, I would prefer a disc, but this stream would be hard to beat.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Thank you. I didn't want to be the only one to experience this brilliance.

This movie, alone, could sell people on the 4k digital model.

Of course, if you have a shitty WiFi connection in your home you will never be able to achieve that kind of brilliance.

But, yes, thanks for confirming that the 4k digital copy of LAWRENCE is currently the most incredible thing that you will see on the home screen.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I suggest changing the title of this thread to "While we wait...and wait...and wait...for A few words bbout LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in 4k UHD"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks