What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
IMG_0863.JPG

I bought this LP a while back. I sure hope the signatures are real.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I wouldn't trust it. Best to PM me for packing instructions and a good address for properly disposing of it.

Last edited:

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
The signed copy would be a wonderful souvenir but it's a dreadful sounding LP that I threw away long ago.

If you have the Blu-ray (and I'm sure that we all do) you're hearing incomparably better sound and you don't need a scratchy old thin sounding ancient pressing.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Terrific documentary. Is it included on any video release?

I don't believe so. Appears to be from Australian TV. I've never seen it.

And, more important, I don't recall doing it.

My mind is going.

I can feel it...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This is remarkable.

I try to look at these things through the eyes of someone coming to a particular film for their first time. And I'd like to play this one for that hypothetical person.

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

Doc (Stan/Zxpndk), good to have you back.

Great documentary with young RAH - thanks for digging it up and posting.

Hiring hard of hearing elderly citizens to lip-read and reconstruct lost sound tracks - another glimpse into the diverse creativity that goes into restoring film.

In fact, the more I learn about film restoration, the more it reminds me of my early passion as magician/ illusionist and all the smoke, mirrors, sleight of hand, misdirection and harebrained left-of-centre solutions necessary to overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Doc (Stan/Zxpndk), good to have you back.

Great documentary with young RAH - thanks for digging it up and posting.

Hiring hard of hearing elderly citizens to lip-read and reconstruct lost sound tracks - another glimpse into the diverse creativity that goes into restoring film.

In fact, the more I learn about film restoration, the more it reminds me of my early passion as magician/ illusionist and all the smoke, mirrors, sleight of hand, misdirection and hair-brained left-of-centre solutions necessary to overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

Your point is well made.

I was thinking precisely the same thing while viewing the new 4k of Now You See Me 2 -- a film all about sleight of hand, illusion and misdirection, about which I intend to post tomorrow.

A proper film restoration project is based upon the understanding that cinema -- movies -- don't move.

It's all an illusion of movement, based upon (generally) 1,140 pictures viewed per minute, via a magical device.

Before we can achieve proper, restored movement, each of those hundreds of thousands of individual images must be restored as such. Only then, with cleanup, stabilization, and control of color, density, shadow detail, and black levels, can we begin to replicate what people saw, decades previous.

After which one can try to make it work with a restored track, presuming one existed.

RAH

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I don't believe so. Appears to be from Australian TV. I've never seen it.
But some of it is on one the bonus features on the Blu Ray - the interviews with David Lean and Peter O'Toole and some of the scenes in the dubbing studio - not quite the same - a restoration required here to put all the elements back...?:lol:

loaloa

Auditioning
Real Name
Alain
I suppose you all know that the great "David Lean , A Life in Film" 2H20min 1985 documentary by Melvyn Bragg is also available in full on Youtube. Fantastic footage filmed on the set of Passage to India and interview of David Lean, and many others.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I suppose you all know that the great "David Lean , A Life in Film" 2H20min 1985 documentary by Melvyn Bragg is also available in full on Youtube. Fantastic footage filmed on the set of Passage to India and interview of David Lean, and many others.

Oh wow - that's the full version of the documentary, too! The copy on the UK Network DVD of This Happy Breed cuts out much of the talk of DL's movies for MGM, because of rights issues. This has everything in there!

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Thanks for this. I remember seeing it 30 odd years ago, before David Lean and his films meant that much to me. It's a superb-run through of his work and, on the Passage to India section, a fascinating display of his concentration and perfectionism on set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks