What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (2 Viewers)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The novel "And Then There Were None" was published in 1939 and renewed in 1967. It will go into public domain 95 years after it was published, 2034. There is no law against publishing something you don't own or have the rights to. If the owners don't enforce their rights nothing will happen to the person who published it. As to why an owner doesn't enforce their copyright the reason could be cost versus benefit. It cost money to enforce a copyright especially when a lawsuit is involved . If the amount of money to be made from enforcing the copyright doesn't justify the expense, they might not seek to enforce. Another reason could be the original author is dead and the person(s) who inherited the rights may be unknown or the rights holder may be unaware they own it.
By the way Mickey Mouse goes into public domain 1/1/24. It has been said that copyright protection in the USA has often been extended to prevent Mickey from going public. Looks like this time it will finally happen . We will see.

I doubt it will happen. Disney, now one of the most predominate and soulless corporations on the planet, may presumably find a loophole somewhere, or write a new one.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well KL Studio Classics in the other forum called the "Warner wanting to license the Lewton titles " nothing more than an internet rumor.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
In a post summarizing the highlights of 2020 for Judy Garland fans, the proprietor of the Judy Garland Forum said to expect a restored version of In The Good Old Summertime on bluray in 2021.

Mr. Feltenstein actually revealed that this was in the works around the same time he mentioned they were working The Harvey Girls and The Pirate (both of which have already been released), but that this one would would take longer than the other two due to it having an incomplete negative.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Once was enough ...
Well this may be NSFW but ...

1611722111891.png
;)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The new HBOMAX titles for February have been revealed. Going through the list, the only one on there that could possibly be an Archive release is Captain Blood (which certainly looks like it could use a remaster based on my last viewing of the film on TCM). Whether or not it will actually be remastered remains to be seen.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
The new HBOMAX titles for February have been revealed. Going through the list, the only one on there that could possibly be an Archive release is Captain Blood (which certainly looks like it could use a remaster based on my last viewing of the film on TCM). Whether or not it will actually be remastered remains to be seen.

WB also owns Wildcats (1986) with Goldie Hawn, which is headed to HBOMAX in February. Possible preview of an upcoming Blu ray upgrade? More Hawn is always welcome 😁

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
The novel "And Then There Were None" was published in 1939 and renewed in 1967. It will go into public domain 95 years after it was published, 2034. There is no law against publishing something you don't own or have the rights to. If the owners don't enforce their rights nothing will happen to the person who published it. As to why an owner doesn't enforce their copyright the reason could be cost versus benefit. It cost money to enforce a copyright especially when a lawsuit is involved . If the amount of money to be made from enforcing the copyright doesn't justify the expense, they might not seek to enforce. Another reason could be the original author is dead and the person(s) who inherited the rights may be unknown or the rights holder may be unaware they own it.
By the way Mickey Mouse goes into public domain 1/1/24. It has been said that copyright protection in the USA has often been extended to prevent Mickey from going public. Looks like this time it will finally happen . We will see.

I doubt it will happen. Disney, now one of the most predominate and soulless corporations on the planet, may presumably find a loophole somewhere, or write a new one.
In my humble opinion there is no way that Mickey is going public domain. Lots of money is going to trade hands to keep Mickey's hands firmly gripping the Disney label.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Does anyone know what the story is with "Around the World in 80 days?" I've never seen it and have been waiting for a blu-ray release to finally watch. I am very interested to see why the film won best picture over "The King and I" and "The Ten Commandments."

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Does anyone know what the story is with "Around the World in 80 days?" I've never seen it and have been waiting for a blu-ray release to finally watch. I am very interested to see why the film won best picture over "The King and I" and "The Ten Commandments."

I think the film has major elements issues (not quite Raintree County level, but close), particularly with regards to the 30fps Todd-AO version, though they have expressed interest in doing the film. As for the film itself, it’s a decent film with a very good central performance from David Niven, though the travelogue portions go on a little too long, and in my personal opinion, should not have won over the two nominees you mentioned (especially Ten Commandments). I think part of the reason it won was because it had nearly every available major performer at the time, mostly in cameos.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Marketing.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK

I hope Captain Blood finally gets released. Been waiting Forever ! One of my top ten titles on my WB Wish List !
Captain_Blood.jpeg
CAPT BLOOD.jpg

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Not to mention Friendly Persuasion or Giant, as well.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, you could ask the same question about several Best Picture winners over the years. :laugh: The last straw for me was 'Shakespeare in Love' over 'Saving Private Ryan'. 25 years later, one if is an iconic movie while the Best Picture winner is hardly even talked about.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I could see The King and I as a worthier winner but The Ten Commandments? I consider it a very entertaining movie but not a great one. I would rather have seen The Searchers take it or Giant with The Searchers being my favorite that year.

Reactions: PMF

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
WB purged the team that made them the leaders in the ranks of studios releasing classics - why would they do that? Who will now be in charge??????? Does not make sense to do this-George survived the MGM Home Video purge he made Warners great. Yet so much more to be released and restored by WB will they survive the leaving of GF?????

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
WB purged the team that made them the leaders in the ranks of studios releasing classics - why would they do that? Who will now be in charge??????? Does not make sense to do this-George survived the MGM Home Video purge he made Warners great. Yet so much more to be released and restored by WB will they survive the leaving of GF?????
I'm hoping for all involved it's a way of reducing the cost of benefits that a long-term employee would be entitled. The same thing more-or-less happened with my cousin. He was Reduction In Force(d) and was then employed by sub-contractor doing the same job as a "temp"(orary) with less pay and no benefits. Eventually the original company hired him back - when they received a new government contract.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks