What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (21 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't think that 1936 version of Three Godfathers was pristine at all.
I just finished watching "Three Godfathers" (1936) in its entirety on HBO Max. After the opening credits, the movie does look really good and much better than my 2010 WA DVD. I don't know if it's coming out on BD, but I was impressed as the opening credits deceived me.

The 1949 version "3 Godfathers" starring John Wayne is one of the films I watch every Christmas season. I'll compared the HBO Max stream to my iTunes HD digital to see if there are any improvements.

As to "The Man Who Came to Dinner" I will try to watch that movie in its entirety too. The first five minutes after the opening credits look really good to me, but to make sure I'll watch the entire movie.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
According to HBOMAX the 1949 version of Three Godfathers is the remastered version.
430AD44D-C487-4675-B5C7-76FD3A6CE529.jpeg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I can't ever remember seeing 3 Godfathers, but I'd happily buy it sight unseen. It would be great if it was released soon, coming hard on the heels of Mister Roberts, & another late forties Ford western photographed by Winton Hoch, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, is one of the best looking Blu-rays I own.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Well, regardless of whether The Man Who Came To Dinner is remastered or not, I would be surprised to see that one come right away, for one big reason: it's status as a holiday film. Mind you, I hope very much I am wrong, as I would love to grab it as soon as they release it (even if I did just watch it not too long ago). But, we've still got a number of titles that HAVE been remastered on HBO Max (but haven't been announced for Blu-ray yet), and every WAC announcement seems to be a mixture of titles from HBO Max and titles they've done themselves. And, again, the holiday status of The Man Who Came To Dinner makes it a prime candidate for being delayed. I haven't seen it so much on this site, but, on the other forum, I've noticed a number of people complaining about WAC releasing It Happened On Fifth Avenue and The Shop Around The Corner on December 22, right before Christmas (which, for some, may not arrive in time for the holiday itself). Considering the complaints (and the fact that some of those complainers would rather wait until its more seasonally appropriate or for a sale to buy them), WAC will likely lose sales on titles they might otherwise have done better on if they had managed to get them done and ready for release a lot earlier (and the same could be said for an out-of-season The Man Who Came To Dinner). Me, I want them regardless of the timing, and will do what I can to get them, and I fully understand WAC's issues behind the scenes (which is another reason I'm still willing to support them on these releases). But, again, I would not be surprised if it does NOT come out right way (remastered or not).

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
The HD scan, on HBOMax, of “It Happened on 5th Avenue” looks stunning. I was happy with the DVD, but now I might have to get the blu.

“Holiday Affair” looks better than it has but not the improvement that IHO5A exhibits.

“The Man who Came to Dinner” looks very good, but I wouldn’t say this transfer is indicative of a blu release. The fine crispness isn’t there, the motion isn’t as smooth.

EDIT-After checking out “Holiday Affair” again, my assessment was wrong. It looks really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, regardless of whether The Man Who Came To Dinner is remastered or not, I would be surprised to see that one come right away, for one big reason: it's status as a holiday film. Mind you, I hope very much I am wrong, as I would love to grab it as soon as they release it (even if I did just watch it not too long ago). But, we've still got a number of titles that HAVE been remastered on HBO Max (but haven't been announced for Blu-ray yet), and every WAC announcement seems to be a mixture of titles from HBO Max and titles they've done themselves. And, again, the holiday status of The Man Who Came To Dinner makes it a prime candidate for being delayed. I haven't seen it so much on this site, but, on the other forum, I've noticed a number of people complaining about WAC releasing It Happened On Fifth Avenue and The Shop Around The Corner on December 22, right before Christmas (which, for some, may not arrive in time for the holiday itself). Considering the complaints (and the fact that some of those complainers would rather wait until its more seasonally appropriate or for a sale to buy them), WAC will likely lose sales on titles they might otherwise have done better on if they had managed to get them done and ready for release a lot earlier (and the same could be said for an out-of-season The Man Who Came To Dinner). Me, I want them regardless of the timing, and will do what I can to get them, and I fully understand WAC's issues behind the scenes (which is another reason I'm still willing to support them on these releases). But, again, I would not be surprised if it does NOT come out right way (remastered or not).
They aren't going to 'lose' any sales. The same number of units would likely still be sold. It's just when they get sold - release month or next holiday season.

Some idiots seem to think if something isn't sold on day one its a failure. That is messed up thinking.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Apparently, The 100: Complete Seventh Season has been pushed back to Jan 5th (an Amazon listing just showed up).

Also on Jan 5th is a re-release of The Man Who Would Be King

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Aside from possible carryovers from recently added HBO Max titles, has anyone heard anything definite about potential January titles (not including Man Who Would Be King and The 100, of course)?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Aside from possible carryovers from recently added HBO Max titles, has anyone heard anything definite about potential January titles (not including Man Who Would Be King and The 100, of course)?
WA should post something on social media platforms this week or perhaps next week.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im hoping for Dinner at Eight is forthcoming, well and about 100 other titles. I read The Bermuda Depths is also in queue which Ill be happy to pick up !

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like January is going to be just as good as December. None of these were on my radar but were certainly on my wish list. I can’t believe we have both Pajama Game and Good News on Blu.
Debatable unless you're into musicals which I'm not. However, I'm happy for those that are musical fans.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
WAC have just announced for 2021
After The Thin Man
Good News
The Pajama Game
Room For One More
Nothing there is on my WB/ MGM Wish List. :huh: Here are 4 titles that are on Top of my Wish List. ....Captain Blood, The Roaring Twenties, High Sierra, and Ivanhoe. If just 1 of these was listed for January 2021 I would of jumped and Danced like this ...... :dancing-banana-04::dance:

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I like that lineup! I'll admit, I'm surprised about getting The Pajama Game instead of either of the two Doris Day films from HBO Max, but, to be fair, I never expected both of them to be announced for the same month (the only reason for that is that, so far as I can tell, WAC has yet to announce more than one film for any MUSICAL star for the same month). I just wish they'd give me a break for a few months. That's now three months in a row that nearly everything they've announced is something I want. Any more of this, and I'll be delaying getting titles that I would normally buy at full price! If they have to release anything more that I want within the next few months, I just hope that it will be whatever Fred Astaire musical they said they were working on!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
It isn't even 2021 yet and WAC is already hitting them out of the park. Here's to hoping for a phenomenal year of remastered classics.

Tops on my list would be Wife Vs. Secretary and Lubtisch's The Merry Widow - both of which were restored a little over two years ago, received a summer screening from TCM, and then never found their way to Blu. Those who know me know I've listed my 'must haves' before and elsewhere so I'll not do it again. But WAC's December catalog was the bomb. Now we get even better catalog getting ready to come down the pike at the start of the new year. If we can all just keep the economy humming until then so there's enough money in the kitty for these and whatever else WAC has in store, it should be a very, VERY, exciting 2021. Here's to hoping anyway.

More Crawford, more Bette Davis, more Esther Williams, Gable, Garbo, Garland. A little Grace Kelly and some Mario Lanza and Jane Powell wouldn't hurt either. Oh, and Greer Garson, Robert Donat and Ronald Colman too! Harlow - anyone? And Robert Taylor too! Oh, boy! Just think of the goodies!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks