What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (18 Viewers)

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
As only 3 Godfathers (1948) and Tea for Two already have HD transfers, probably all of the others will be remastered.

I do believe new HD transfers were created for them to stream on HBO Max (as far as I know there is no WB film streaming on HBO Max in SD).

That's great news about Tea for Two. As I recall, the DVD was in pretty rough shape.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Great news on some potential 2021 releases. The Doris Day stuff is obviously great and The Man Who Came to Dinner was high on my wishlist, but I sure hope Room For One More gets a Blu-Ray release. Such an underrated classic and one I thought was highly unlikely.

If that wish happens, I hope Every Girl Should Be Married and Pretty Baby are on their radar for the future as well. Betsy Drake is one of my favorites (And like any self respecting classic film fan, I obviously love Cary Grant's work).

Last edited:

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
In re the new 4 for $44 Sale, Yes! It just started, and I've already ordered 13 from my Wish List. That clears out everything except the most recent items. Great way to start the Holiday Shopping Season. Thanks, Warner Archive!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Active starting this morning with similar rules to prior sales.

Appears TED20 gives added 20% discount though I'm not sure if that includes 4/44 items or just non sale discs
As I posted in the other thread the TED20 currently applies to items in the 4 for 44.00 sale. Also if you have $150.00 in items before the discount - the free shipping still applies!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Picked up a few titles in the sale myself, a few more recent releases, as well as a couple that have been on the list for quite a while:

Sergeant York
Rachel and the Stranger
Action of the Tiger
Ride the High Country
Popeye: The 1940s Vol. 3

and not part of the sale, but at a nicely reduced price:

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Presumably HBOMAX will have the restored versions of the films being released by Archive on blu in December, "The Shop Around The Corner", "Holiday Affair", and "It Happened On Fifth Avenue." If only they had the rights to "A Christmas Carol" 1951. Maybe then we could see the BFI restoration in the USA.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Right now I'm looking at High Society on the BBC, & it looks really nice, sometimes a bit of a halo around some dark areas (like men's suits), but it looks very Blu-ray worthy to me.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Right now I'm looking at High Society on the BBC, & it looks really nice, sometimes a bit of a halo around some dark areas (like men's suits), but it looks very Blu-ray worthy to me.

It's not too shabby. I hope that when (if) it's released, Warners give us a 4k disc to make up for the time they have kept us waiting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HBOMax has released a preview of their holiday lineup, and one of the titles included is The Man Who Came to Dinner.

I don't believe there's an HD master of this film, so I hope this news bodes well for new master and future Blu-ray release. Perhaps it wasn't ready in time for a Blu-ray release this year? I believe there have been some delays due to COVID. I'm just not sure I can wait an entire year for a release of one of my favourite films! ;)

Well, there is an HD master now of "The Man Who Came to Dinner".:)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Based on my sampling of it this morning on HBO Max, it looks beautiful so I expect it's in the WA pipeline with January a distinct possibility.
I will have to disagree on that one ( And I may be wrong).

Even though it is a good transfer, it is not up to WAC usual standards, as I identified several speckles in the transfer.

In my opinion, these are the titles elegible for WAC bluray releases, all of them presented in pristine conditions:

- Three Godfathers (1936)
- My dream is yours
- Room for one more
- On moonlight bay.

The last 3 are labeled as Remastered by HBO Max, along with 3 Godfathers (1948). But I do not see this version as clean as the 1936 (which is not labeled as remastered, by the way). Indeed the 1948 version has a lot of dirt.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will have to disagree on that one ( And I may be wrong).

Even though it is a good transfer, it is not up to WAC usual standards, as I identified several speckles in the transfer.

In my opinion, these are the titles elegible for WAC bluray releases, all of them presented in pristine conditions:

- Godfathers (1936)
- My dream is yours
- Room for one more
- On moonlight bay.

The last 3 are labeled as Remastered by HBO Max, along with 3 Godfathers (1948). But I do not see this version as clean as the 1936 (which is not labeled as remastered, by the way). Indeed the 1948 version has a lot of dirt.
I didn't think that 1936 version of Three Godfathers was pristine at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks