What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (11 Viewers)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Any word on PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID? I think this is the only Sam Peckinpah feature MIA on Blu.

Well I don't know, but I'm thinking that after all this time, it'll either be Criterion or a Warner non WAC 4K & Blu-ray release, just like they've done with the Kubrick films. Whatever, I hope we get it next year, I'm not getting any younger.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In this week's podcast, George talked about his hope that "Porgy and Bess" (1959) would have its legal issues ironed out.

I think you may have read too much into that comment, Mike. What Mr. Feltenstein actually said was that Warner’s contract with the Goldwyn estate would include Porgy and Bess should the legal issues ever get worked out. He didn’t say there was any progress on that front.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think you may have read too much into that comment, Mike. What Mr. Feltenstein actually said was that Warner’s contract with the Goldwyn estate would include Porgy and Bess should the legal issues ever get worked out. He didn’t say there was any progress on that front.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some, but not all release dates are listed on Amazon:

December 15th:
  • The Curse of Frankenstein
  • Holiday Affair
  • Mister Roberts

December 22nd:
  • The Harvey Girls
I expect the release dates for the other titles will be known today or tomorrow.
I added two more release dates for December's titles:

December 15th:
  • Holiday Affair
  • Mister Roberts
  • Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 2
  • Young Man With a Horn

December 22nd:
  • The Harvey Girls
I expect the release dates for the other titles will be known today or tomorrow.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This is the first time where there are 3 definitie WAC titles Im getting, and 4 potential films that Im going to check out later this month. I get the feeling this will be the most expensive month for me with WAC ! They are releasing some really good key titles and hopefully 2021 will continue that trend.

The Tex Avery Volumes and Space Ghost are part of my 4 for 44 list whenever that happens. They would be nice to have but not priority.

I watched Genesis II and Planet Earth and Im on the fence. They weren't as good as I had hoped, at least to me. I preferred Planet Earth. After watching them I can see why a TV series didnt happen.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
TCM (UK) have been showing Howard Hawks Air Force (1943) in what looks like a very nice HD transfer, sharp & very clean (except for the stock shots), it looks great, esp. when you think that most of the film is set at night, & a lot of it in a dimly lit aircraft (DOP James Wong Howe), of course as the film was made during the war, there's a very strong propaganda aspect to it. 1943 was a very strong year for great war films: Air Force, Bataan, Destination Tokyo & Action In The North Atlantic. I hope some of them gets a WAC release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TCM (UK) have been showing Howard Hawks Air Force (1943) in what looks like a very nice HD transfer, sharp & very clean (except for the stock shots), it looks great, esp. when you think that most of the film is set at night, & a lot of it in a dimly lit aircraft (DOP James Wong Howe), of course as the film was made during the war, there's a very strong propaganda aspect to it. 1943 was a very strong year for great war films: Air Force, Bataan, Destination Tokyo & Action In The North Atlantic. I hope some of them gets a WAC release.
You and me, both.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
1605715368410.png

a reissue for December 22, for those that missed it the first time, love the use of original poster art on this

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I guess it will have the same print as the 2013 release?

Uncertain, when they reissued the Archive Copy of The Big Parade was it the exact same release as before? Of course minus the Digibook ? Same features, extras, and everything else? I missed out on the initial release, and at the moment have failed to pick up the reissue, but Christmas money is coming so that will be remedied.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Uncertain, when they reissued the Archive Copy of The Big Parade was it the exact same release as before? Of course minus the Digibook ? Same features, extras, and everything else? I missed out on the initial release, and at the moment have failed to pick up the reissue, but Christmas money is coming so that will be remedied.
The 2013 release extras were interviews with Virginia Mayo & Teresa Wright and the trailer. It would be nice for a commentary but i guess we will have to wait for another release?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Yes, a commentary would have been a fine addition, but I don't see that happening, but I could be possibly wrong. Does anyone have any idea how long WB has in their contract with the Samuel Goldwyn estate for the other titles.

As stated many times before, Warner really can do no wrong with everything that they have, it's like a dartboard , throw at anything, and you will find somebody's bullseye.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I guess it will have the same print as the 2013 release?
If it didn't, it would be a first. When Warner Archive has re-issued discs previously available from "regular" Warners, they have been made from the exact same digital files. This applies to both Blu-Rays and DVD's. For instance, when I got the Warner Archive DVD-r of Flamingo Road (Joan Crawford, 1949), it had the bonus documentary featurette, cartoon, radio adaption, and trailer - all the same as on the original pressed DVD release.

As Dana said above, physical extras like digibooks are missing, but the discs themselves are the same as the prior release.

Of course there could be a new restoration from new materials, but as we've seen, that is always trumpeted loudly. For instance, the new Mystery of the Wax Museum, on both DVD and Blu-Ray, is a brand new restoration, completely different from the version previously issued as a "bonus" on the House of Wax DVD and Blu-Ray. But as I said, they made a big point of this - no one had to wonder.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
You and me, both.

add another to that growing list, any of these would be very welcomed

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some changes to the December release dates:

December 15th:
  • The Harvey Girls
  • Holiday Affair
  • Mister Roberts
  • Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 2
  • Young Man With a Horn

December 22nd:
  • The Best Years of Our Lives (Reissue)
  • It Happened on 5th Avenue
  • The Shop Around the Corner

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks