What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (4 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Never thought I’d see Mister Roberts, due to restoration expenses; and so, after many years, I stopped holding out hope and bought the DVD just two months, ago. And you know what? This news is so good, I’m not even bothered by it. As a matter of fact, it doesn’t even feel like a double-dip, at all.

Hmmm, so that’s what it’s gonna take, eh? A bit of Murphy’s Law seems to be at work here. Okay, then, I guess I’m gonna have to buy up a DVD of “The Nun’s Story”, “Goodbye, Mr. Chips”, “Detective Story”, “Johnny Belinda” and “Friendly Persuasion” and see if that strategy works for me, again.

Well, well, well, WAC has surely lit one great big firecracker under my you-know-what. YES, to Mister Roberts on Blu. And while your over there, WAC, gimme all of those other new titles you’ve got waitin’ for me over there on that shelf.:thumbs-up-smiley:

well if Murphy's law is a factor, could someone else pick up a copy of Dinner at Eight, sometime mid month December so it has a shot at a January release along with hopefully Popeye: The 1950s: Volume 1 :D

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Finally, The Curse of Frankenstein restored.

We’re getting a 2-disc set, so, with the 1.85, please no one complain that there is also a 1.37 --
It’s 2-discs, so I think that is fine. I’ll happily take both aspect ratios.
What? Also 1.66 -- A third aspect ratio. Fantastic!!!
And with a great set of extras that I never expected.

I was afraid this would never happen. A great Christmas present for me.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A very exciting month. Several titles (including The 100: S7, which I was worried about with some series switching to DVD) will be purchased.

Another thing to consider. If this month is like last month, where a batch of titles were announced at the beginning of the month, and another batch was announced the 3rd Tuesday of the month, we could have more gifts coming our way.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
A very exciting month. Several titles (including The 100: S7, which I was worried about with some series switching to DVD) will be purchased.

Another thing to consider. If this month is like last month, where a batch of titles were announced at the beginning of the month, and another batch was announced the 3rd Tuesday of the month, we could have more gifts coming our way.
I agree with you about the possibility that more will be announced. In the past, we could count on them to make the full announcements on the third Tuesday of the month, but with their recent change in how they have announced stuff, I agree that another announcement later in the month is likely. That being said, 9 titles already announced. 9. That's not just abnormally packed for December, that's abnormally packed for ANY month. Period. If more is announced like you and I think will be the case, they will probably be announcing their January releases as well, as I don't see how they can fit much more into about three weeks worth of releases (considering it *seems* unlikely they will release anything in the last week or two of the month). But, that's just a guess. Whatever the case, this announcement is full of appealing releases! I'm certainly looking forward to most of them (now I just need to find a way to pay for them)!

Reactions: PMF

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
[email protected] post: 4927011 said:
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Clause!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!

And he's Tim Allen!

(Thank you, that was today's Millennial Santa-Claus spelling nag.
Look, it's even in the movie: "Not Santa Claus the person, the Santa Clause in the contract!")

...I see that Vol.2 of Tex Avery starts off with another version of Red Riding Hood, just like Vol.1.

And arguably the funnier one.

But while I wait to retire my Complete Droopy DVD, let's hope WA doesn't forget that there's still a wealth of Tex Avery's Warner cartoons still waiting for DVD, let alone Blu.
I have shelf space reserved for any disk collection of "Believe It or Else", "Detouring America", "Cinderella Meets Fella", and "Holiday Highlights".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This isn't meant to be a "Why aren't they releasing what I want?" post but I do wonder if alot of these titles (not this month in particular- just speaking broadly) would sell better than some of the unreleased Val Lewton titles. Maybe I'm overestimating them but I'd think that I Walked With A Zombie and The 7th Victim would do better than other titles that Warner has released.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This isn't meant to be a "Why aren't they releasing what I want?" post but I do wonder if alot of these titles (not this month in particular- just speaking broadly) would sell better than some of the unreleased Val Lewton titles. Maybe I'm overestimating them but I'd think that I Walked With A Zombie and The 7th Victim would do better than other titles that Warner has released.

Well that's the thing, Warner have such an embarrassment of riches, that even when there's a star batch released, you still think about what wasn't. Reading what was being shown on TV, I was all ready for A Tale Of Two Cities (1935), no doubt for next year.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Reading what was being shown on TV, I was all ready for A Tale Of Two Cities (1935), no doubt for next year.

Hopefully along with Life With Father. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for that one.

I'm so thrilled about the December announcement. WAC has really opened the floodgates over the last two years, and titles many here thought weren't viable are now coming out. I don't want to take it for granted, but I hope it continues for a long while yet.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Hopefully along with Life With Father. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for that one.

I'm so thrilled about the December announcement. WAC has really opened the floodgates over the last two years, and titles many here thought weren't viable are now coming out. I don't want to take it for granted, but I hope it continues for a long while yet.
just one of a number of films in PD hell that I am hopeful that WB rescues, two more would be Meet John Doe and Father's Little Dividend

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
just one of a number of films in PD hell that I am hopeful that WB rescues, two more would be Meet John Doe and Father's Little Dividend

Hi Dana, fortunately they have rescued Life With Father! It was added to HBO Max in September, but a Blu-ray has yet to be announced. Would also love Father's Little Dividend.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, the ones Shout Factory released didn't sell very well.
That must be the case but I'd think part of the problem there was that Shout had to spend money to license them (which obviously isn't a factor for Warner Archives) but I still can't believe that a fair number of the Warner Archive titles outsell some of the remaining Lewton titles. In no way do I want this to sound like sour grapes or that I'm really complaining because even when I'm not interested in a particular title, Warner (like Criterion) always has an interesting line up and releases.

And there's nothing saying that Warners will never release more Lewton movies so I'll remain hopeful.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Shout had plans for many more but cancelled a couple titles and never released more because they did not sell well. I think it was due to them releasing them as single features at a high price. Not sure if Warner would release them as double features but its doubtful they would try them as single titles when they didn't sell for Shout.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks