DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn’t count on a Kazan set being released with those films. Last month, a number of John Ford films were added to the service, and the only one that was actually listed as remastered was Mister Roberts. That said, I think we might get at least one of the Kazan films remastered.

As for A Tale of Two Cities, someone on the other forum mentioned it’s previously been available only in SD, so if that one turns up in HD, we’ll know for certain that it’s been remastered.
Probably A Tale of Two Cities will show up on HD, as I do not recall any WB SD tranfers on HBO Max.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
On the latest podcast, George Feltenstein addressed a question I sent in a while ago concerning the 1937 version of The Prisoner of Zenda, wherein they state that the original negative and the second generation dupe are lost, and they have yet to do the research needed to remaster the film. He also mentioned that there are no immediate plans for a new edition of The Strawberry Blonde, though the film warrants it and that there may be a workprint of the original cut of Mike’s Murder since there’s no negative for that cut and will give a more definitive answer when they have more information.

Reactions: PMF and Robin9

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
High Society will be showing next month on HBOMAX
Pajama Game is now available on iTunes SD only
Damn Yankees is also on iTunes in HD but it does not look like a new master.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My musicals wish list is now pretty short.

HIGH SOCIETY (which I believe will come)
THE HARVEY GIRLS (ditto)
DAMN YANKEES (???)
THE PAJAMA GAME (???)
I'm not big on musicals, but I'd have:

Annie Get Your Gun (1950)
Damn Yankees (1958)
& any Busby Berkeley musical esp. Gold Diggers Of 1933.
...& maybe one or two others if they're a bit lush, like Showboat.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
The latest additions to HBOMAX for next month have just been revealed:

A Tale Of Two Cities (1935)
David Copperfield (1935)
The Sea Of Grass (1947)
The Man With The Golden Arm (1955)
Baby Doll (1956)
High Society (1956)
Some Came Running (1958)
Splendor In The Grass (1961)
America America (1963)
The Arrangement (1969)

Like last month, it remains to be seen as to which of these titles will be remastered and receive Blu-rays from the Archive.
I browsed some of the new titles on HBO Max this morning and my first impression is that the following look pretty damn good from my brief sampling, but I reserved the right to change my mind as I watch more of each movie.

A Tale of Two Cities
The Man with the Golden Arm
Some Came Running

I was taken aback that the opening credits of Splendor in the Grass was in 1.37 ratio are window box then as the actual movie begins it's in 1.85. I don't think that's right for a BD release. I need to compare High Society to my iTunes HD digital, but it looks good except that optical shot with Louie Armstrong's vocals. Again, I didn't watch much beyond that and the first 10 minutes. I wasn't impressed by David Copperfield, but I need to watch more of the movie before I render my final impression.

That's all I sampled so far. I'm looking forward to reading other opinions.

Reactions: PMF and Will Krupp

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Off topic

so I pop open Inside Daisy Clover with Natalie Wood , a film I’ve not seen before , and I note the disc is scratched . This is the 7th Warner Archive title out of my last 50 or so that has feint sractches on the playing surface. Being in Australia , sending them back is a royal pain cause they take ages to get here . Sometimes these scratches causes my player to freeze.

a friend of mine in one of the Spanish forums has noted this too. He’s given up Importing warner archive titles

Barefoot in The Park , a great film from Paramount , also arrived with scratches on the playing surface around the hub. Checking the ifpi codes , it too is pressed at the same replication plant in Mexico. Sigh.
I wish more of these titles would be pressed in Japan. Whilst double the price , their quality control is without peer.
I sometimes import obscure films to suppprt film preservation and physical media but this really is the pits.

some Warner archive titles are being release from HMV Uk , but they are very few.

by contrast: : all these firms from the uk have never sold me a scratched disc : Arrow video, powerhouse , Indicator , BFI, Eureka films , Signal One .
my Australian pressed discs I buy are never scratched. Never had a Japanese Blu ray arrived scratched .

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: PMF

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
I browsed some of the new titles on HBO Max this morning and my first impression is that the following look pretty damn good from my brief sampling, but I reserved the right to change my mind as I watch more of each movie.

A Tale of Two Cities
Some Came Running

I was taken aback that the opening credits of Splendor in the Grass was in 1.37 ratio then as the actual movie begins it's in 1.85. I don't think that's right for a BD release. I need to compare High Society to my iTunes HD digital, but it looks good except that optical shot with Louie Armstrong's vocals. Again, I didn't watch much beyond that and the first 10 minutes. I wasn't impressed by David Copperfield, but I need to watch more of the movie before I render my final impression.

Very interesting, Robert. Judging by your description of Splendor in the Grass, I think we can safely assume that hasn’t been remastered. On that note, which of the new films were actually listed as remastered without inspecting all of them (I don’t have the service so I can’t check myself)?

GNR092789

Auditioning
Real Name
Dylan
A Tale of Two Cities seems to be the only classic that is remastered from the ones mentioned above. It is listed under the newly remastered banner, and The Man with the Golden Arm, Some Came Running & Splendor in the Grass have nice, but older masters, certainly not new. A Tale of Two Cities looks new and pristine, however.

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Two or three years ago, TCM did a series of summer screenings in LA of which Wife Vs. Secretary and Lubitsch's The Merry Widow were both screened in pristine looking DLP's that I thought for sure would be coming to Blu via WAC shortly. Sadly, nothing on either of these as yet.

My top picks, in addition to the aforementioned would have to include 1939's Goodbye, Mr. Chips, 1937's The Prisoner of Zenda, National Velvet, High Society, Marie Antoinette, 1936's Romeo and Juliet, Random Harvest, Weekend at the Waldorf, Dinner at Eight, 1952's Scaramouche, 1951's Show Boat, Small Town Girl, Nancy Goes to Rio, I Love Melvin, The Student Prince, That Midnight Kiss, Easy to Love, Bathing Beauty, When Ladies Meet, A Woman's Face, Humoresque, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Charge of the Light Brigade, Captain Blood, Three Little Words, Good News, The Harvey Girls, The Great Ziegfeld, Ziegfeld Girl, Till The Clouds Roll By, Meet John Doe (rescued from PD hell), Topper (again, rescued from PD hell, the current Blu is atrocious!!!), Madame Bovary, East Side West Side, Royal Wedding, The Belle of New York, Lovely to Look At, Ivanhoe, Knights of the Round Table, The Brothers Karamazov, Give a Girl a Break, The Tender Trap, The Catered Affair, The Teahouse of the August Moon, Butterfield 8, Murder She Said, The V.I.P's, The Yellow Rolls-Royce, The Night of the Iguana, Follow The Boys,

Holiday in Mexico, Words and Music, The Man Who Came to Dinner, Old Acquaintance, Adam's Rib, Rich and Famous, Babes on Broadway, Rosalie, San Francisco, Red Dust, China Seas, Maytime, 1936's Rose Marie, Naughty Marietta, The Swan, (the rest of The Thin Man franchise), (all of the Andy Hardy movies), Love Crazy, Personal Property, The Barretts of Wimpole Street, Mystery Street, Camille, Anna Karenina, Born to Dance, Broadway Melody of 1936/38/40, A Date with Judy, Luxury Liner, The Barkley's of Broadway, (can we please get a remastered Swing Time and Philadelphia Story - the scans farmed out to Criterion were riddled in edge effects and other digital anomalies), Follow the Fleet, Top Hat, Young Dr. Kildare, Tarzan: The Ape Man, Idiot's Delight, Boy's Town, (both versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde), Johnny Eager, Honky Tonk, Boom Town, The Sea of Grass, A Yank at Oxford, Rio Rita, For Me and My Gal, Thousands Cheer, Mrs. Parkington, The Valley of Decision, The White Cliffs of Dover... and that's just my short list!!!

PS - if you're wondering which titles I would absolutely fast track, given half the chance - they're highlighted.

Last edited:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Great news about A Tale of Two Cities! Despite having WB's wonderful Motion Picture Masterpieces DVD set since it was released in the mid-2000s, I finally got around to watching A Tale of Two Cities earlier this year after reading the book. I hope it will get a Blu-ray release.

Since I know from the most recent episode of the WAC podcast that the good folks at WAC don't particularly like it when we rattle off our wish list or wish another title had been announced instead (or, in this case, added to HBOMax), I won't say that I was hoping that David Copperfield, which I also enjoy, would also have been newly remastered. ;) My iTunes HD digital will have to suffice until such a day should arrive.

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc

A Tale of Two Cities
Some Came Running

I was taken aback that the opening credits of Splendor in the Grass was in 1.37 ratio then as the actual movie begins it's in 1.85. I don't think that's right for a BD release. I need to compare High Society to my iTunes HD digital, but it looks good except that optical shot with Louie Armstrong's vocals. Again, I didn't watch much beyond that and the first 10 minutes. I wasn't impressed by David Copperfield, but I need to watch more of the movie before I render my final impression.

Splendor in the Grass was on HBOMAX a few months ago. The opening titles on HBOMAX were about 1.66. It is the same as the iTunes version.

Astairefan

Second Unit
Real Name
Neil Powell
Well, with A Tale Of Two Cities sounding like the only one newly remastered, that gives us five remastered titles from HBO Max that might be included in the next batch of announcements. If I were to guess I do NOT think we will see all five announced this time. My reason for this assumption is that, so far, every WAC announcement since HBO Max started has been a mixture of titles from that and a few titles done specifically for WAC, which we don't always know about beforehand. So, again, we have the five HBO Max titles (Life With Father, Mister Roberts, The Curse Of Frankenstein, Marie: A True Story and now A Tale Of Two Cities) of which a couple are likely to be announced, probably the other Judy Garland musical that is almost finished (most likely The Harvey Girls), and likely one or two others that we have no clue about whatsoever. I know they said December is going to be abnormally packed, but the question is, is that abnormally packed for December, or just abnormally packed. If it's just for December, there's no way everything I mentioned makes it out (and some of the HBO titles would likely be the ones cut). If it's abnormally packed for ANY month of the year, then we might just see everything come out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Splendor in the Grass was on HBOMAX a few months ago. The opening titles on HBOMAX were about 1.66. It is the same as the iTunes version.
I just checked again, the opening titles are window box before the movie opens up to 1.85. It's the same on my iTunes HD digital along with the 2009 & 2010 DVD releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

A Tale of Two Cities
Some Came Running

I was taken aback that the opening credits of Splendor in the Grass was in 1.37 ratio are window box then as the actual movie begins it's in 1.85. I don't think that's right for a BD release. I need to compare High Society to my iTunes HD digital, but it looks good except that optical shot with Louie Armstrong's vocals. Again, I didn't watch much beyond that and the first 10 minutes. I wasn't impressed by David Copperfield, but I need to watch more of the movie before I render my final impression.

I got some bad news, both, Some Came Running and David Copperfield look the same as my iTunes HD digital of them.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc