NEW 2020 1080p HD master from 4K scan of best surviving preservation elements
LIBELED LADY(1936)
Run Time: 98:00
Subtitles : English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: RIGINAL ASPECT RATIO – 4x3-1.37:1
Product Color: B&W
Disc Configuration: BD 50
SPECIAL FEATURES: Classic Short Subjects-KEYSTONE HOTEL (HD), NEW SHOES, M-G-M Cartoon-LITTLE CHEESER-Audio only LEO IS ON THE AIR Radio Promo-Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Four of Hollywood's greatest stars - William Powell, Jean Harlow, Myrna Loy and Spencer Tracy - reel in this whopper of a screwball romantic comedy classic nominated for a Best Picture Oscar®. It all starts when society diva Loy slaps newsman Tracy with a libel suit. Tracy enlists fiancée Harlow and down-on-his-luck Powell in a counter maneuver involving a rigged marriage, a phony seduction, a fabulously funny fishing scene, fisticuffs, broken promises and hearts - and, eventually, true love for all. This lady is one fine catch!

NEW 2020 1080p HD Restoration from 4K scan of the original nitrate Technicolor negatives
THE PIRATE (1948)
Run Time: 101:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1 4x3 FULL FRAME
Product Color: COLOR
Disc Configuration: BD-50

Special Features: Commentary by Author/Historian John Fricke, Making-of featurette “THE PIRATE: A MUSICAL TREASURE CHEST”, Vintage M-G-M short “You Can’t Win”, Vintage M-G-M cartoon “Cat Fishin’”, “MACK THE BLACK” musical sequence in HD with stereo audio, Audio-only outtakes, Associate Producer Roger Edens’ guide/rehearsal recordings, Judy Garland and Gene Kelly M-G-M radio promotional interviews, Original Theatrical Trailer (HD).

Judy Garland and Gene Kelly co-star in this dazzling Technicolor musical love story, set in the Caribbean during the early 19th century. The film is a showcase for director Vincente Minnelli’s dynamic use of Technicolor photography. A witty script from Albert Hackett and Frances Goodrich and a lively score of original songs by Cole Porter, result in a unique and unconventional entry into the canon of musicals produced at M-G-M by Arthur Freed during the studio’s golden era. Highlights of the film include Kelly and Minnelli’s ground-breaking “Pirate Ballet,” as well as two iterations of Porter’s “Be a Clown” - one featuring Kelly and the magnificent Nicholas Brothers (Fayard and Harold), and the finale performed by Kelly & Garland.

1603225008645.png

1603225020436.png

GlennF

Second Unit
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Just saw this as well. THE PIRATE makes me very happy as I found the DVD kind of dark, with little contrast and no "pop" to the colours, and let's face it the production design and the costumes are two of the big pluses for this film. Also really enjoy "Be A Clown", "Nina" and "Mack the Black". Another 40's technicolour MGM musical on blu-ray. Good News! (By the way another film I would like to see on blu-ray some day.)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm thrilled that Libelled Lady and The Pirate are capping off a great November, which also includes another already announced favourite, Waterloo Bridge. I was hoping that Life With Father would be among the lineup, but perhaps it will be included in their next month of announcements. I hope so, as HBO Max is unavailable here in Canada and I can't watch the new master.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Absolutely two must-have movies for me. As Glenn said, The Pirate was SO underwhelming in its DVD transfer that I'm perhaps OVER-anticipating this release because I expect to have my socks knocked off. And Libeled Lady has been SO in need of a refresh for so long that it's another glorious announcement.

Can't wait for 'em both!

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin Ray
I'm thrilled that Libelled Lady and The Pirate are capping off a great November, which also includes another already announced favourite, Waterloo Bridge. I was hoping that Life With Father would be among the lineup, but perhaps it will be included in their next month of announcements. I hope so, as HBO Max is unavailable here in Canada and I can't watch the new master.
The poor folks at WAC- I've been quite the pest about Life with Father. I reached out again to see when/if we will see Life with Father, so we shall see. They are so good to all of us, for sure :)

Reactions: Andrew Budgell

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hot damn! Warner Archive is doing a 4-pack of Hitchcock films in November! The Wrong Man, Dial M For Murder, Suspicion, and I Confess. Anxiously looking forward to this!

Reactions: PMF

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Two great announcements and I am actually waiting to see what this fully packed December looks like. With everything that Warner owns, there is no missteps they have a dart board with one large giant Bullseye and anything they throw out at this point is going to be something that someone wants. The combining of the four individual Hitchcock's into one comprehensive package for those that haven't picked it up it's a no-brainer. I like the fact that they do that with their titles. Would just be nice to know in advance so I can save a little shelf space occasionally. William Powell and Myrna Loy, hey I got an idea they started this little series a couple of more of those could possibly use a release?

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
The latest additions to HBOMAX for next month have just been revealed:

A Tale Of Two Cities (1935)
David Copperfield (1935)
The Sea Of Grass (1947)
The Man With The Golden Arm (1955)
Baby Doll (1956)
High Society (1956)
Some Came Running (1958)
Splendor In The Grass (1961)
America America (1963)
The Arrangement (1969)

Like last month, it remains to be seen as to which of these titles will be remastered and receive Blu-rays from the Archive.

[email protected]

Second Unit
David Copperfield (1935)
The Sea Of Grass (1947)
The Man With The Golden Arm (1955)
High Society (1956)

More W.C. Fields, Tracy & Hepburn, why all four of these titles would be a definite buy for me!

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin Ray
While I would pick up High Society immediately upon its Blu-ray release, I'll be surprised if it arrives next month. I thought the gentlemen at WAC mentioned on a recent podcast that the film needs additional work. Perhaps it will arrive as a Christmas surprise, after all. Stay tuned!

Reactions: Suzanne.S

Astairefan

Second Unit
Real Name
Neil Powell
Interesting list. Since it appears to be a returning title, it will be interesting to see if The Sea Of Grass has a new transfer or is the same one they had on before (since it was one of the debut titles on the service). I would definitely be in for High Society (although, as somebody else said, it seems just too soon from recent comments on the podcast for that one). The big question will be what we actually get in December on Blu-ray. If I've got my numbers correctly, we have at least four remastered titles from HBO Max not yet announced for Blu-ray, plus whatever might be newly remastered for the month of November (if anything is). Plus, I would still guess another Judy Garland musical (most likely The Harvey Girls), and at least something else that would surprise us completely. Add it all up, and we will likely NOT get everything that has been remastered, since I suspect we will only have about three (maybe four) weeks worth of releases in December.

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
Oh A TALE OF TWO CITIES and SOME CAME RUNNING are two of my favorites; I'd love to see them released on bluray.

There ares 4 Elia Kazan films on that list, I wonder if they'll be doing a mini-box set. The Arrangement is one hell of an unusual film.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Oh A TALE OF TWO CITIES and SOME CAME RUNNING are two of my favorites; I'd love to see them released on bluray.

There ares 4 Elia Kazan films on that list, I wonder if they'll be doing a mini-box set. The Arrangement is one hell of an unusual film.
I wouldn’t count on a Kazan set being released with those films. Last month, a number of John Ford films were added to the service, and the only one that was actually listed as remastered was Mister Roberts. That said, I think we might get at least one of the Kazan films remastered.

As for A Tale of Two Cities, someone on the other forum mentioned it’s previously been available only in SD, so if that one turns up in HD, we’ll know for certain that it’s been remastered.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natishakmsapu