What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (3 Viewers)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Anyone heard “hints” of what the additional November releases entail?
Outside of the titles that have appeared remastered on HBOMax not already on Blu-ray, none whatsoever. As of now, I actually find it questionable if there will be anymore titles next month.

I have to agree about the HBO titles. At this point, I think there are five on there said to be remastered (Life With Father, Mister Roberts, Libeled Lady, The Curse Of Frankenstein and Marie: A True Story). That is a full month's worth of announcements right there if all five get announced. Short of any of those titles being delayed another month (or two, depending on whether they actually announce anything for release in December) or not being released at all, there is no way they add anything else to the mix. The only other titles that have been *hinted* at would be two of the Judy Garland technicolor musicals. We were told earlier in the year on the podcast that they would be working on them, with hopes of getting one or two out this year, and they apparently were asked again more recently, and stated they were almost finished with two of them, and would be releasing them within a few months (or something to that effect). Those would be the only other titles hinted at, as far as we know, and I doubt they'll be announced for November. Of course, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, so we shall see.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've been waiting for a few non-classic films that I wouldn't think needed any restoration, stuff like:

The Hill (1965)
She (1965)
Start The Revolution Without Me (1970)
There Was A Crooked Man... (1970)
The Last Of Sheila (1973)
O Lucky Man! (1973)
Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (1973)
Pennies From Heaven (1981)

Oh well, fingers crossed in the middle of every month as usual.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Seems like The Last of Sheila on DVD definitely had some dirt/debris/damage problems. Maybe I'm misremembering.
I would love a Blu of The Last Of Shelia.
I watched the DVD a few weeks ago. It's not especially good but not especially bad either. I'd like a Blu-ray disc from a pristine restoration but it must include the commentary track with Richard Benjamin and Dyan Cannon. I'm not much for commentaries but even I found this one interesting. For an old man like me there is one particular gem in the commentary: Dyan Cannon compliments Richard Benjamin on his ability to recall events from decades earlier. Richard Benjamin replies; "Ask me about five minutes ago". I roared with laughter. I know what he means. I wish I didn't but I do.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
but it must include the commentary track with Richard Benjamin and Dyan Cannon. I'm not much for commentaries but even I found this one interesting.

Don't forget there are three people on the commentary. In addition to Cannon and Benjamin, there's Raquel Welch.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The main problem with the DVD of The Last of Sheila is the awfully muffled soundtrack .. at times almost incomprehensible, just like too many modern US television shows -- though in those recent cases, the problem stems from actors not being taught how to speak legibly.
Give me a Blu ray that pays attention to the soundtrack, and I'll be really happy.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Don't forget there are three people on the commentary. In addition to Cannon and Benjamin, there's Raquel Welch.
Yes, but she been dubbed in. She wasn't in the same room as the others, and she has next to nothing to say.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
would be nice if some more of the Tarzan film were to make their way into a possible future release

Oh yes! I'd love the Weissmuller films, but it's not going to happen, maybe the first two, but I don't think that'll happen either. I have two DVD sets (it's good to have a spare), & look at a film or two occasionally, it takes me back to when I was around 10 years old, at Saturday Morning Pictures (as we used to call it), a cartoon, a Laurel & Hardy short, a Republic serial & then maybe a Tarzan film. A big part of my love of film came from those days. Ah, memories :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
According to gossip of the era, I suspect those two wouldn't want to BE in the same room with her. Allegedly she was a diva supreme on the set.
Yes, I heard that too. It was reported at the time that James Mason, normally a man of great politeness and discretion, said that she was the most unprofessional person he had ever worked with.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
and if Warner is going to keep going back to TV for sets, maybe an agreement can be made, I'd love to see all 7 seasons of Tales from the Crypt in the best possible lighting if an agreement with Tales from the Crypt Holdings could be arraigned. Don't think this is fluff, next to classic Anthologies like Twilight Zone, it has stars galore, great music from various composers, plenty that could be milked for extras , and I believe it was shot on film.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
As much as I always look forward to new release announcements from the WA, it's already been a very good year from my perspective. Below is a list of the number of Blu-rays I've purchased from the WA each of the past seven years, and if there's another sale before the end of this year I will likely buy about twice as many this year as in any previous year. The WA has satisfied me very well in 2020.

2014 - 3
2015 - 5
2016 - 14
2017 - 14
2018 - 6
2019 - 9
2020 - 13
Currently in wishlist - 16

---------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks