What's new

Rodney

Premium
In the case of "It's A Wonderful Life", the source material. a short story, "The Best Gift" was is still protected by copyright. The last part of the movie, a man about to commit suicide gets to see what life would be like if he were not born, was the short story. The first 3/4 of the movie were created for the movie.
I think you meant "The Greatest Gift" written by Philip Van Doren Stern.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think you meant "The Greatest Gift" written by Philip Van Doren Stern.
Are you sure that wasn't Mamie Van Doren ;)?
1602269404572.png

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Regarding Mr Roberts on HBO Max It’s definitely not restored. I just compared it to the iTunes stream and it’s the same SD transfer. The SD DVD actually looks the best upconverted on my lg Oled. So disappointed. :(
Well, earlier this morning I watched "Mister Roberts" on HBO Max in its entirety while viewing it on my 65" LG OLED at my normal sitting position in my main HT. I thought it looked fine, but not as pristine as I would have liked it to have been. Well, despite my reluctance to do so when it comes to comparing the same movie on different home video formats, I spent the last hour doing so with that HBO Max stream to my 1998 DVD on my 55" LG OLED in my home office HT while sitting about three feet from my display.

IMO, that HBO Max stream puts that 1998 upconverted DVD to shame. As soon as that DVD started playing I could see major differences in the color as well as detail in which the stream was vastly superior to the DVD. I kept going back and forth between the two video formats for the last hour or so and it wasn't even close in my opinion. Also, I realized that "Mister Roberts" was a WarnerColor production which I was never a big fan of in comparison to Technicolor movies from that same film era. That is perhaps why I wasn't as impressed earlier this morning with the HBO Max stream. However, when comparing the 1998 DVD directly with that stream, I can easily see a major improvement in the video presentation.

So, I want to walk back my earlier assessment of the HBO Max stream. Despite a few issues I had with some blurry facial images, I'm happy with this stream and I do think a new master was struck for this movie.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, earlier this morning I watched "Mister Roberts" on HBO Max in its entirety while viewing it on my 65" LG OLED at my normal sitting position in my main HT. I thought it looked fine, but not as pristine as I would have liked it to have been. Well, despite my reluctance to do so when it comes to comparing the same movie on different home video formats, I spent the last hour doing so with that HBO Max stream to my 1998 DVD on my 55" LG OLED in my home office HT while sitting about three feet from my display.

IMO, that HBO Max stream puts that 1998 upconverted DVD to shame. As soon as that DVD started playing I could see major differences in the color as well as detail in which the stream was vastly superior to the DVD. I kept going back and forth between the two video formats for the last hour or so and it wasn't even close in my opinion. Also, I realized that "Mister Roberts" was a WarnerColor production which I was never a big fan of in comparison to Technicolor movies from that same film era. That is perhaps why I wasn't as impressed earlier this morning with the HBO Max stream. However, when comparing the 1998 DVD directly with that stream, I can easily see a major improvement in the video presentation.

So, I want to walk back my earlier assessment of the HBO Max stream. Despite a few issues I had with some blurry facial images, I'm happy with this stream and I do think a new master was struck for this movie.
I compared it to the iTunes stream and while the colors are better in the HBO Max stream, I believe they are the same transfer.

Also looking forward to more opinions.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I compared it to the iTunes stream and while the colors are better in the HBO Max stream, I believe they are the same transfer.

Also looking forward to more opinions.

From what I've read, HBO Max indicates that this is newly remastered. HBO Max isn't available here, so I can't verify that or tell you where on the platform it says that.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From what I've read, HBO Max indicates that this is newly remastered. HBO Max isn't available here, so I can't verify that or tell you where on the platform it says that.
I don’t see any notice on HBO Max stating it is a new remaster.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
In today’s podcast, George Feltenstein revealed that more collaborations with the Film Foundation and UCLA are in the works, a very exciting prospect if you ask me. Additionally, while teasing a lot of forthcoming projects (more musicals, more Bette Davis/Ann Sheridan, a potential restoration of Adventures of Don Juan), he revealed that the 1949 Little Women definitely needs to be redone before it can be released on Blu-ray, along with the Gene Kelly Three Musketeers.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
he revealed that the 1949 Little Women definitely needs to be redone before it can be released on Blu-ray

Elaborating on Little Women a bit, George said said that the current HD master wasn't completed all that long ago, but it was done of an interpositive that has registration, dirt and colour breathing issues that aren't noticeable because it's so compressed, but doesn't "cut the mustard" for a WAC Blu-ray. They would have to reapproach that title, but as he says, there's always tomorrow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
In today’s podcast, George Feltenstein revealed that more collaborations with the Film Foundation and UCLA are in the works, a very exciting prospect if you ask me. Additionally, while teasing a lot of forthcoming projects (more musicals, more Bette Davis/Ann Sheridan, a potential restoration of Adventures of Don Juan), he revealed that the 1949 Little Women definitely needs to be redone before it can be released on Blu-ray, along with the Gene Kelly Three Musketeers.
No offense to Don Juan, but how about some other more popular Flynn movies still missing on BD?

Astairefan

Second Unit
Real Name
Neil Powell
No offense to Don Juan, but how about some other more popular Flynn movies still missing on BD?
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I suspect Don Juan was mentioned because of their DVD re-release. Whatever the case, that at least indicates they are willing to try more Errol Flynn films, which we didn't really have any idea about before. I *suspect* that one has a better chance, being that it is from 1948, while many of the more popular/ more requested titles are from the thirties. We're getting a decent amount of output from the forties, still not so much from the thirties, especially since it seems films from the thirties (ESPECIALLY the more popular ones) may be more expensive restorations (and, for all we know, The Sea Hawk may have sold well enough to warrant some of the cheaper to restore films, but not so much the more expensive ones).
Then again, for all we know, they may be working on some of the more popular films, and it's just taking time (I mean, seriously, how long have they been working on Sergeant York, and that one is only finally making its Blu-ray debut).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
More musicals: good! I hope Meet Me In Las Vegas is a possible contender. More Cyd Charisse is always a good thing.

JoelA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
And Nick Ray's Party Girl too! Not a musical but lots of Cyd.

Totally agree! Would be a great choice. I think that since Nick Ray directed it there may be a chance of its release. I read that there was a third dance number either filmed or planned for Cyd that was deleted prior to release. Now I can't get Tony Martin singing the title song out of my head.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Outside of the titles that have appeared remastered on HBOMax not already on Blu-ray, none whatsoever. As of now, I actually find it questionable if there will be anymore titles next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anuskabtnihu