trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Still waiting for GOODBYE MR CHIPS----PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----THE BUTCHER BOY---SURVIVING PICASSO---ALICE DOSENT LIVE HERE ANYMORE---THE SHELTERING SKY--WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?---SHOOT THE MOON.

Last edited:

JoelA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
How about a shout out for THE LONG, LONG TRAILER? It's a title that has never had an OAR home video release, and would seem to have a decent shot at selling well.
Absolutely! Day one purchase for me and would love to see it in its OAR. One of the funniest films ever made.

When WAC re-releases a title on DVD-R they just port over the previous transfer and bonus content generally. I believe the same thing happened with Executive Suite. I think it's presented 4:3, also, unfortunately.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Still waiting for GOODBYE MR CHIPS----PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----THE BUTCHER BOY---SURVIVING PICASSO---ALICE DOSENT LIVE HERE ANYMORE---THE SHELTERING SKY--WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?---SHOOT THE MOON.
Ha, I think I've seen that list before :) Mind you, I'd love Pennies From Heaven, not that I've ever seen it, but the first time I do see it, I'd like to see a pristine Blu-ray...& another one I'd like to see that's hardly ever mentioned is Alex In Wonderland (1970).

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Absolutely! Day one purchase for me and would love to see it in its OAR. One of the funniest films ever made.

When WAC re-releases a title on DVD-R they just port over the previous transfer and bonus content generally. I believe the same thing happened with Executive Suite. I think it's presented 4:3, also, unfortunately.
BABY DOLL also springs to mind as one that needs an OAR re-do.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
I just listened to the newest podcast episode and I don't know if it's just me because I am a non native speaker but George's answers to me are hard to understand regarding the likelihood of things to come. They were asked about Frank Sinatra's High Society and Some Came Running and at first he said they will eventually be on BD and High Society needs a great deal of work done. Later on he states that they will (probably) come but are not on the schedule.
They were also asked about more Greer Garson b&w movies on BD, especially Random Harvest. It's not on the schedule right now but should be next in line and there is more Greer Garson in the works and a non b&w MGM movie with her will be released very soon - speculation over at blu-ray.com is that it's Sunrise at Campobello because it just aired on HBO MAX
Tex Avery vol. 2 is delayed due to covid but they are hoping it will be ready and released this year. Nothing to announce regarding a possible vol. 3
Someone at Warner but not the WAC folks seems to be working on Babylon 5 because they were asked regarding a 4:3 re-release and the unaltered television pilot.
A Night at the Opera - George would love to see it on BD but nothing to announce right now. It's on the list for an upgrade though.
There are clearance issues with the Hanna Barbera retrospective specials that once aired on TV but they are looking into it.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
I’m not surprised that High Society needs a lot of work considering it’s a Vistavision film, though I’m sure it will look quite good once they put it out.

I also think it’s good news that Night at the Opera is being considered for a Blu-ray release, even though there’s nothing concrete yet. I’ve read that there was originally a longer opening sequence in the film that was later cut on reissue, so a search for the footage of that scene might be what’s holding it up.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I asked Warner Archive if they have any new announcements coming, and they replied "Third Tuesday of the next month." So we wait a while. Hopefully it's a great announcement. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Among the new titles on HBO Max is "Butterfield 8". Unfortunately, based on the opening credits, it looks like an old transfer so I doubt it's coming out on WA Blu-ray in October. HBO Max has several new Elizabeth Taylor and Sandra Bullock titles. "Little Women" (1949) looks damn good, but is similar to my iTunes Digital. The following new HBO Max titles that never been released on BD, but look like they can be released on Blu-ray:

• Sunrise at Campobello
  • Life with Father
  • Tennessee Johnson (Why this movie???)
  • Reversal of Fortune
  • The Mexican
  • PT 109 (Looks like iTunes Digital)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
IMO, I can see "Sunrise at Campobello" and "Life with Father" on Warner Archive Blu-ray in October. They look so good that I'm going to watch them this week on HBO Max. I could say the same thing about "Tennessee Johnson", but I'm an American History buff and I abhorred the subject matter.

Reactions: Mark-P

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I’m not surprised that High Society needs a lot of work considering it’s a Vistavision film, though I’m sure it will look quite good once they put it out.

I also think it’s good news that Night at the Opera is being considered for a Blu-ray release, even though there’s nothing concrete yet. I’ve read that there was originally a longer opening sequence in the film that was later cut on reissue, so a search for the footage of that scene might be what’s holding it up.
There was a print supposedly found in Hungary of Night at the Opera that is longer but heard nothing new for a while.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Thrilled about Life With Father!

I had my fingers crossed on that one. The master TCM shows, while based on the UCLA restoration, is ancient and in SD, and not up to HBOMax's standards. I wasn't sure we'd ever see a new master of this film as it's in the public domain. It will be the first Elizabeth Taylor film in Technicolor on Blu-ray, should one indeed be released.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Would love to see a good transfer of Life with Father. I've suffered through mediocre transfers on disc and on TCM for years and never has it looked very good. The film's excellence in design, performance, music, and pace has kept me interested in revisiting it all these decades.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Would love to see a good transfer of Life with Father. I've suffered through mediocre transfers on disc and on TCM for years and never has it looked very good. The film's excellence in design, performance, music, and pace has kept me interested in revisiting it all these decades.
I just got done watching it on HBO Max in its entirety. You should be pleased with it.

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
IMO, I can see "Sunrise at Campobello" and "Life with Father" on Warner Archive Blu-ray in September. They look so good that I'm going to watch them this week on HBO Max. I could say the same thing about "Tennessee Johnson", but I'm an American History buff and I abhorred the subject matter.
I have always liked "Sunrise at Campobello" The performances are wonderful and also Max Steiner's fantastic score.

Reactions: ahollis

Astairefan

Second Unit
Real Name
Neil Powell
I do wonder just how much we can rely on the HBO Max titles for the next round of announcements. After all, they should be for October, and that list doesn't exactly sound like horror to me. Granted, I can understand if there aren't any horror films announced, since WAC was shut down for a while due to the pandemic (and that may have been the time frame when they needed to start working on October titles, for all I know). Still, if it is the case, there will be those very disappointed (I may not be one of them, since I don't care for the genre, but the break on my wallet would be preferred).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I do wonder just how much we can rely on the HBO Max titles for the next round of announcements. After all, they should be for October, and that list doesn't exactly sound like horror to me. Granted, I can understand if there aren't any horror films announced, since WAC was shut down for a while due to the pandemic (and that may have been the time frame when they needed to start working on October titles, for all I know). Still, if it is the case, there will be those very disappointed (I may not be one of them, since I don't care for the genre, but the break on my wallet would be preferred).
There is no doubt in my mind that "Life with Father" and "Sunrise at Campobello" are coming out on Blu-ray before 2021. WA didn't do that work on those two classic movies to just stream them.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13