AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Judy Garland stepping off the train in 'The Harvey Girls' singing 'On the Atcheson Topeka and the Santa Fe' is one of cinema's most iconic moments. Did she ever look more beautiful? Well, of course she did. But that particular moment is magic.
And "In the Good Old Summertime' (a remake of 'The Little Shop around the Corner' and the precursor of 'You've got Mail' is just as welcome.
Never cared for 'The Pirate' but that 's just me, and it should look spectacular.

Ken_Martinez

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Great news for those who love MGM musicals.
In their latest podcast, the great folks from WAC answering my question, informed that they are currently working on musicals starring Eleanor Powell, Fred Astaire and Judy Garland for release on Bluray.
And answering another person, they specifically told that The Harvey Girls, The Pirate and In the Good old summertime are definitely coming to Bluray in 2020/2021.
I cannot wait for all these gems to be in my shelf!!!!!
What's going on with their pipeline? The second Tex Avery volume has been put on hold because of COVID-19, but based on what you're saying, it sounds like that hasn't impacted live-action releases much, if at all.

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
I wouldn't mind a Technicolor three-strip swashbuckler or two:

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939)
The Adventures of Don Juan (1948)
The Three Musketeers (1948)
Ivanhoe (1952)
Scaramouche (1952)
The Prisoner of Zenda (1952)
The Master of Ballantrae (1953)
I WISH ! :unsure: Also..... Knights of the Round Table & Quentin Durward.

Billy Batson

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I WISH ! :unsure: Also..... Knights of the Round Table & Quentin Durward.
Yes, but those two aren't three-strip Technicolor, no CinemaScope film ever was. But what a great Robert Taylor swashbuckler trilogy that would make; Ivanhoe, Knight's Of The Round Table & Quintin Durward :)

...& I see I'm a senior HTF member. Thanks, I'm quite chuffed about that.

Last edited:

Billy Batson

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I read that, That's Entertainment!: The Complete Collection (parts 1,2 & 3, three discs) is going to be re-released on the Archive label on August 25th. Good, as I never bought them & the set looks to be OOP & goes for a few bob now.

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
Yes, but those two aren't three-strip Technicolor, no CinemaScope film ever was. But what a great Robert Taylor swashbuckler trilogy that would make; Ivanhoe, Knight's Of The Round Table & Quintin Durward :)

...& I see I'm a senior HTF member. Thanks, I'm quite chuffed about that.
YES Billy ! I know that is a Great Swashbuckler trilogy. :) I have been waiting Forever for WB to release these on Bluray. Every month I am Disappointed by titles I have NO interest in. :( Also ...Capt. Horatio Hornblower, Helen of Troy & Land of the Pharaohs. The Long awaited... The Curse of Frankenstein ! ...WB Gangster Classics and Errol Flynn movies. :(

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I just got done watching "Flying Leathernecks" (1951) on HBO Max in HD and this Technicolor film looked beautiful. That movie title was just added to HBO Max so I'm guessing it's coming to Blu-ray. Perhaps, some others too listed below have just been added to HBO Max. I haven't had a chance to watch them in their entirety like "Flying Leathernecks".

• Jim Thorpe All-American (Need to compare to my iTunes HD digital)

Astaire and Rogers Musicals:
  • Top Hat (Need to compare to my iTunes HD digital)
  • The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle
  • Barkleys of Broadway
  • Carefree
  • Flying Down to Rio
  • The Gay Divorcee (Need to compare to my iTunes HD digital)

• The Candidate (Need to compare to my iTunes HD digital)

• Murder at 1600 (Need to compare to my iTunes HD digital)

timk1041

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy
I would like to see the 1932 version of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde on blu. I think it is overdue. I have the flipper DVD with the Spencer Tracy version, which I never cared for, on the other side of the disc. The DVD is okay, but boy a blu of it would be great.

Reactions: RICK BOND

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
I would like to see the 1932 version of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde on blu. I think it is overdue. I have the flipper DVD with the Spencer Tracy version, which I never cared for, on the other side of the disc. The DVD is okay, but boy a blu of it would be great.
I have the old DVD Flip disc also. I wish to see Both versions released on Bluray. I :emoji_hearts: both of them. :)
JekyllHyde1931.jpg
dr_jekyll_and_mr_hyde 1941.jpg

JoelA

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I had an interesting discussion on FB recently with an insider who works for WBMPI. He was part of the team that worked on Romance on the High Seas (1948). I told him how beautiful it looked after he said it was a difficult restoration.

A couple other points after I mentioned that there seemed to be quite an increase of titles from the classic era on the release schedule recently-

He confirmed that digital tools to complete restorations keep getting better which keeps costs down unless the restoration needs to be frame by frame.

The relationship with HBO Max is fueling part of the restoration work as well. He said if HBO Max does well the restorations will keep coming.

He said that everyone at WBMPI is very proud of the work they do and I agreed that they should be.

So, for what it's worth I thought I'd share this here.

Last edited:

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
My oft repeated Blu-ray request - The Prince and the Showgirl -- Marilyn Monroe - beautiful Technicolor cinematography by Jack Cardiff - stunning sets and costumes. Nuff said!!

From imdb: Dame Sybil Thorndike, who worked with Marilyn Monroe in "The Prince and the Showgirl," made a spirited defense of M.M. in London: "She's a true artist, a charming person, and has a quality of innocence, pathos, and sex which can't be equalled by any other performer."

Reactions: plektret

plektret

Agent
Real Name
David
My oft repeated Blu-ray request - The Prince and the Showgirl -- Marilyn Monroe - beautiful Technicolor cinematography by Jack Cardiff - stunning sets and costumes. Nuff said!!
I've been requesting this regularly since the advent of the bluray format. Marilyn is not popular anymore. Maybe Olivier+Cardiff would interest Criterion.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I've been requesting this regularly since the advent of the bluray format. Marilyn is not popular anymore. Maybe Olivier+Cardiff would interest Criterion.
David - If the existance of the many Marilyn tribute groups on Facebook, etc--and the continuing stream of books that are written about her are any proof, I think she is as popular as she ever was. Keep asking!!

Reactions: JoelA and Suzanne.S

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Royce Fox