1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

While we await the next Warner Archive Announcements...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Jan 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    except in one of the podcast George Feltenstein had stated that he wasn't allowed to release any Tom and Jerry because it was still considered part of the family division, and stated that he would love to work on possible releases if it were ever to come to the archive, maybe this first one is just a rehash of the original release, but the fact remains, that there has been a change and a release is possible through the Archive, that way no angry soccer mom is upset because she just saw a set on a shelf at Target, and oh it had violence and other inappropriate things that we must protect adults and children from.

upload_2020-2-20_15-54-3.

i am the victim of one perpetual thing........ Hope

Suzanne.S, Sinbad75 and WaltWiz1901 like this.
  2. Bernard McNair

Bernard McNair Second Unit

Bernard McNair
    I have just listened to the podcast with Jerry Beck regarding the Tex Avery releases; good listening in preparation for the new release.
    Has anyone else noticed the drop in volume of releases from the Archive? DVD releases of classics appears to have slowed to a trickle yet there is still much is left in the vaults.

3. richardburton84

richardburton84 Second Unit

Jack
    Yes, I did notice a bit of a decrease. For example, there were only three new releases this month (not counting reissues) when they usually announce at least four.

4. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    ...But it wasn't so long ago that they were only releasing 1-2.

5. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    What change? All I can see is a business decision here. I'm assuming they are close to being finished selling off their last print run of the first volume, which left them with about 3 choices: a) have WHV do a new print run which, for the required number of units, would be too costly, especially now that whatever people remain that haven't got it (and want it) are waiting for it to show up in the dump bins for really low prices, b) let it remain out-of-print, or c) let WAC have it, whereby they could do a much smaller print run that would work far better for what demand still remains. Just because they took option c) doesn't mean WAC has ALL the Tom & Jerry stuff. After all, WHV still hasn't released all of their Scooby shows on DVD, and yet they aren't letting WAC finish that up either. Now, mind you, I do hope, for everybody's sake, that I am wrong here, but with Jerry Beck commenting that this re-release of Volume 1 does not mean volume 2 is coming, things aren't looking as good as you hope yet. Again, I hope I am proven wrong.

6. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    Seriously? They only just announced the March releases. The year always starts out slow. While the DVD slowdown has been weird, it has happened before. I mean, we were a good ways into 2017 before they started releasing new-to-DVD titles that year. The only surprise has been the lack of re-releases on DVD, not to mention DVD releases for all the "never had a release on DVD" titles we've been getting this year, like Underwater and the Tex Avery set. They did promise more stuff is coming, so there is that.

7. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    It’s a new cover that still says Volume 1, if they had no interest in releasing Volume 2 then they could easily have removed the Volume 1 tag.

8. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    Are you sure? Wouldn't removing the Volume 1 tag also potentially result in people being confused about whether the release is the same or not? All I'm trying to say is that this re-release does not guarantee that WAC has the Tom and Jerry theatrical shorts yet.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Just so you know, it looks like any re-release of Warner's catalog titles now has the Warner Archive tag on it. I've noticed that change over the past year or so. Several Warner catalog titles that were first released by Warner years ago are being re-issued by Warner Archive.

ahollis likes this.
  10. mcash007

mcash007 Stunt Coordinator

Matt
    I took one for the team, and finally broke down and got the old french DVD of Journey Into Fear, with the awesome PAL speed up (kidding). So hopefully that means it will becoming soon from WB Archive.

Everyone is Welcome!

atcolomb likes this.
  11. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Journey Into Fear is a great film and needs a upgrade. My TCM broadcast copy does not look that good.

12. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    hey, i might just be looking at the tea leaves a little to much, do i get things wrong, hell yes, only time will tell, lot like my first marriage,

13. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Figured I'd dig up the generic thread with today's announcements.

A bit of a head's up since Sales are fairly popular. WBShop Warner Archives 4/$44 sales most commonly happen around 3rd weeks of mid March and the last several have started on March 23 - the official Anniversary/Birthday/founding of Warner Archives.
    Since 3/23 is a Monday I'm not sure if they might consider starting the sale then or possible capture the weekend and consider starting it a few days early, so I'd keep an eye out starting friday 3/20. WBshop seems extremely secretive about their sales and often don't announce them until the day or and often the email don't get sent until after the sale starts.

Normally the spring sales have been 2-3 days recently. If they follow the script from the last couple years Single disc releases through the end of Dec will likely be eligible.

I addition the last couple sales in July and Nov also had a parallel sale with Multidisc sets (TV seasons, collections, 2 disc items like Seven Brides and Superman, etc) with 30-40% off MSRP. Hopefully they'll have something similar with the presumed upcoming sale as well since those discs have even fewer deep sales than the regular items.

14. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    I see everything being announced today is already up for pre-order on the wbshop, including the not-yet-announced Blu-ray for Sweet Bird Of Youth.

15. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    Nothing on my Wish List was released from these April WBArchive titles.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm buying all six of them:

• Blood on the Moon
    • Rachel and the Stranger
    • Tin Cup
    • Sweet Bird of Youth
    • Action of the Tiger
    • Reflections in a Golden Eye

Thomas T likes this.
  17. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Same here. It's not just Warner, no company seems to be releasing the catalogue titles I want (region B), & there's hundreds of 'em. I suspect a conspiracy :)

18. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    Definitely a conspiracy. What have they got against Ginger and Fred?

19. trajan007

trajan007 Second Unit

Larry C Bender
    What do they have against Peter O'Toole[GOODBYE MR CHIPS]

20. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Well, we got MY FAVORITE YEAR not so long ago.