What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (28 Viewers)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm trying to recover the thread, no luck yet. That poster wrote that he saw the HD Pharoahs on a U.K. site, said it looked fabulous. I've tried to find it in HD on Amazon and iTunes, no luck yet.

Well I'm unaware of any HD showing in the UK, & I keep a close eye on what HD films are on TV. The DVD doesn't look at all bad, nice rich colour & clean picture, it's only the lack of HD sharpness that gives it away.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

for those that have waited patiently, for a really long time, remember this is just a tease, but could this be the first volume, hopefully more announcements will follow

:D

A day one purchase for me. We have been waiting forever for this. Still doesn't have a DVD release. Last complete release was on Laserdisc in the early 1990's.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If WAC released no other disc in February except a great Tex Avery collection on Blu-ray, I'd be fine with that. But we know that would probably be only one of four. I'd like to see Universal give us their Avery's as well (maybe through Kino?)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I wonder how many Tex Avery shorts are on that ? Same as Popeye 15 to 18 shorts ? February is starting off Good from WBArchive.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I wouldn’t assume the Tex Avery disc is going to be a February release. Unlike formal announcements which are usually the next month’s releases, these rare tease videos can sometimes be upcoming releases that are much further out.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I wouldn’t assume the Tex Avery disc is going to be a February release. Unlike formal announcements which are usually the next month’s releases, these rare tease videos can sometimes be upcoming releases that are much further out.

Not assuming...but fingers crossed. In any case, I'm delighted that it really seems to be coming, after years of requests.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
The odds are currently in favor that it will be. On the other forum, it was mentioned back in December on Stu's Show that Jerry Beck was working on a release consisting of color theatrical shorts (NOT Popeye-related) for WAC that would be getting released in February (and also that he was working on something for WHV with no estimated release date yet, but that's another matter). Now, I admit, I'm not getting that information firsthand from listening to Stu's Show, so I might be getting something wrong, and it's also possible things could have changed (or might happen) that might result in it being delayed, but I really think this Tex Avery set is intended to be a February release.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I wonder how many Tex Avery shorts are on that ? Same as Popeye 15 to 18 shorts ? February is starting off Good from WBArchive.

I think there's around 60-65 MGM cartoons, which would divide out neatly to 3-4 single-disc volumes.

This is exciting news. While I know the existing materials aren't the same caliber as what's available for the Looney Tunes or even Popeye, I expect them to pull another rabbit out of a hat. Or in the case of Tex Avery, several rabbits and maybe a bomb or two.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I think there's around 60-65 MGM cartoons, which would divide out neatly to 3-4 single-disc volumes.

This is exciting news. While I know the existing materials aren't the same caliber as what's available for the Looney Tunes or even Popeye, I expect them to pull another rabbit out of a hat. Or in the case of Tex Avery, several rabbits and maybe a bomb or two.
Don't be too sure of that if they can go back to the original camera negatives and do the scans I think it'll be a revelation the MGM Tunes had a gloss all their own that no other company except maybe Disney could compete with

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
The Tom and Jerry cartoon OCNs suffered the same fate (destroyed in a vault fire) and they were able to get good restorations out of most of the ones on the first Blu Ray

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK

I hope they put 20 shorts on each volume. The Max Fleischer Superman shorts are only 17. That would be a Great release for this year !

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I'm certainly "not that young any more" and I like The Prodigal a lot. I enjoy most Lana Turner films but, as I've pointed out before, Warner Archive is not impressed by the big female stars of yesteryear and very rarely gives them a Blu-ray presentation. Lana's one outing was with John Wayne and it's obvious what was the selling point with that release.

Just watched The Prodigal on dvd. Something of a retread of The Egyptian but with added Old Testament preaching. Same dull Edmund Purdom falling hopelessly in love for a beautiful unsuitable woman. Of course I adore The Egyptian, in spite of Purdom, but The Prodigal is glorious to look at too, so well worth the upgrade.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well I'm unaware of any HD showing in the UK, & I keep a close eye on what HD films are on TV. The DVD doesn't look at all bad, nice rich colour & clean picture, it's only the lack of HD sharpness that gives it away.

Totally agree, and even the DVDs of The Prodigal, The Silver Chalice and Helen of Troy look superb in SD. These and all other widescreen films benefit SO greatly from hi-def upgrades. I've even taken to not buying certain 4:3 upgrades as some seem a small improvement over the DVDs. Of course my MOST wanted is still Scaramouche, which I'd snap up in a New York minute. ALL colorful epics with their phenomenal scores are must buys for me in blu-ray.

Last edited:

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Totally agree, and even the DVDs of The Prodigal, The Silver Chalice and Helen of Troy look superb in SD. These and all other widescreen films benefit SO greatly from hi-def upgrades. I've even taken to not buying certain 4:3 upgrades as some seem a small improvement over the DVDs. Of course my MOST wanted is still Scaramouche, which I'd snap up in a New York minute. ALL colorful epics with their phenomenal scores are must buys for me in blu-ray.

Scaramouche has been shown on UK tv a number of times. Unfortunately last time it was on I didn't have an HD recorder. Such a fun movie! I disagree about your assessment of the SD DVDs of Silver Chalice and Helen of Troy, both of which I hope get a restoration onto Blu Ray soon. Though I'm not holding my breath. What amazes me is some of the crap titles that do come out on Blu Ray that I cannot imagine have much wide appeal!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scaramouche has been shown on UK tv a number of times. Unfortunately last time it was on I didn't have an HD recorder. Such a fun movie! I disagree about your assessment of the SD DVDs of Silver Chalice and Helen of Troy, both of which I hope get a restoration onto Blu Ray soon. Though I'm not holding my breath. What amazes me is some of the crap titles that do come out on Blu Ray that I cannot imagine have much wide appeal!
There are a lot of people including Paul Newman that thought "The Silver Chalice" was a crap movie so you might get your wish.;)

Popcorn1

Agent
Real Name
Richard
I read about a possible TV series of The Mosquito Coast a few months ago. Let's hope it happens, and results in a bluray release of the Harrison Ford / Helen Mirren 1980s film! Can't believe it is not out already.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'm sure the answer to this has already been posted somewhere, but if so I can't find it. The question:
When with Warner Archive resume listing new titles? My guess is this coming Tuesday, January 21.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
There are a lot of people including Paul Newman that thought "The Silver Chalice" was a crap movie so you might get your wish.;)

I totally get Newman's hatred for Silver Chalice. He got a "crap" part as Virginia Mayo's boy toy in revealing little feminine togas which I'm certain, against his aspirations, he loathed having to wear in his first major studio "introduction". The movie belonged to Mayo and Jack Palance, who both chewed the scenery into smithereens. The sets are outlandish, the dinner orgy is a hoot, the tower finale is a whole lot of wild fun, the fabulous Franz Waxman score is legendary. I'd LOVE to have it HD.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I totally get Newman's hatred for Silver Chalice. He got a "crap" part as Virginia Mayo's boy toy in revealing little feminine togas which I'm certain, against his aspirations, he loathed having to wear in his first major studio "introduction". The movie belonged to Mayo and Jack Palance, who both chewed the scenery into smithereens. The sets are outlandish, the dinner orgy is a hoot, the tower finale is a whole of wild fun, the fabulous Franz Waxman score is legendary. I'd LOVE to have it HD.

Having subjected myself to the film twice, I have to say I’m inclined to agree with Newman on the film. Except for Waxman’s score, which is undeniably brilliant, I found the film an absolute mess with way too many subplots that were never fully followed through (I’ve read that Jack Warner apparently had a few scenes cut from the movie, some of which were scored by Waxman and turn up on the near-complete FSM soundtrack, but personally, I don’t think he cut enough) and some really inept dialogue. Additionally, I found the sets way too stagy for this kind of movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks