What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (4 Viewers)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I don't expect a musical every month. It would be nice to see three or four a year. Summer Stock was one of the best releases they've ever put out, I hope they know.
I fully agree. That would be a good amount for me (anything more would be too difficult to keep up with). And, I definitely agree with a lot of what is being said. Outside of my complaint about lack of musicals, this has been a great year from WAC, and one of their best (I might give the edge to 2016 on blu, but again, they released more musicals that year), so I am glad with a lot of their releases!

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This is probably not one of the more popular requests, but would WAC be the one to release a Blu-ray of He Knows You're Alone (1980)? I've always been a fan of that slasher film. The Tom Hanks part is always fun and I really enjoy the Staten Island locations. I think it was a MGM title but the old DVD in my collection was released by WB.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
SHOOT THE MOON----THE BUTCHER BOY----PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE---ALICE DOSE'NT LIVE HERE ANYMORE---THE SHELTERING SKY----WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?---WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY---SURVIVING PICASSO

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
SHOOT THE MOON----THE BUTCHER BOY----PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE---ALICE DOSE'NT LIVE HERE ANYMORE---THE SHELTERING SKY----WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?---WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY---SURVIVING PICASSO

I agree with all your choices. I remember, when I was collecting CED as well as laser discs, SHOOT THE MOON, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN and WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY were all released on the same day. What a bonanza!

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
PAJAMA GAME!
THE HARVEY GIRLS!
HIGH SOCIETY!
DAMN YANKEES!

WAC got some catchin' up to do on musicals.

I agree. What about GOOD NEWS - BEST FOOT FORWARD - TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY - ZIEGFELD FOLLIES - THREE LITTLE WORDS - WORDS AND MUSIC - THE PIRATE - BELLE OF NEW YORK. The list goes on!

I agree with the both of you! However, I think we as fans have a lot more to do to support WAC with them (ESPECIALLY on the pre-1954 stuff), since, as I've noted before, they are releasing fewer and fewer new-to-blu musicals every year, with only 2 so far this year (hoping that changes with their December announcements, if there are any), compared to 3 last year, etc.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
What is sad is that, even with streaming, we will never get to see hi def copies of musicals like A DATE WITH JUDY (with teen-age Elizabeth Taylor and Jane Powell), DU BARRY WAS A LADY, EXCUSE MY DUST, THE GREAT ZIEGFELD, I LOVE MELVIN, IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME (with an ageing Buster Keaton), THE KISSING BANDIT (with a young Frank Sinatra), and RICH YOUNG AND PRETTY, et al.
But then again, who would have expected SUMMER STOCK (which here in Australia was originally re-titled IF YOU FEEL LIKE SINGING).

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I would not be totally amazed if The Kissing Bandit did come out on Blu-ray disc because the DVD indicates that the elements are in good condition. The film has some lovely melodies by Nacio Herb Brown and a wonderful dance routine featuring both Ann Miller and Cyd Charisse.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is probably not one of the more popular requests, but would WAC be the one to release a Blu-ray of He Knows You're Alone (1980)? I've always been a fan of that slasher film. The Tom Hanks part is always fun and I really enjoy the Staten Island locations. I think it was a MGM title but the old DVD in my collection was released by WB.
With the popularity of slasher movies and that horror fans still buy Blu-rays, I'm shocked He Know You're Alone hasn't been released by Warners yet. Hopefully, Scream Factory has gotten he rights because if not, it'll be until at least next September or October for WA to put it out.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Still holding the eternal flame of hope for at least one classic widescreen historical epic like Helen of Troy, Land of the Pharaohs, Scaramouche, Ivanhoe or (as next month is Christmas) perhaps The Silver Chalice or The Prodigal.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Okay, I already know that this titles been mentioned in the thread. But I was reading my Criterion Channel newsletter today and Tod Browning's Freaks is appearing on the channel; does that mean that possibly were going to see a Criterion release or Warner's going to take it and do it themselves?

Apparently, Freaks has quite recently undergone a new restoration and has or will be screened at some film festival I’ve never heard of. While it doesn’t confirm whether a release would come from Criterion or the Archive, it does give hope that a release could happen sooner or later. Here’s the link with the information:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DqjrEJzGm/?igshid=h9takad5sdn5

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Several Warner owned films have appeared on the Criterion Channel including currently "For Me and My Gal". Don't think it has anything to do with an upcoming bluray from Criterion or the Warner Archive, sadly.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE is certainly a wonderful movie (one of my favorites) but I thought that the DVD was rather soft (nice colour though). It's certainly nowhere near as sharp as THE KISSING BANDIT which is close to Blu-ray quality.

Although we may never get to see most of the great MGM musicals of the late 30s to the 1950s on Blu-ray, it's great that they were all released on DVD, mostly in reasonably good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks