What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (6 Viewers)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd love to see The Glass Bottom Boat.

I haven't heard good things about The Pajama Game. It's one of my last five Doris Day films that I still need to watch.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope February has some Adventure, and Cinemascope titles from MGM and WB. Helen of Troy ???? For instance.

Oh yes! Helen Of Troy & Land Of The Pharaohs, the kind of films (& scores) that they can't seem to do these days, & both epics deliver what was on the film poster.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd love to see The Glass Bottom Boat.

I haven't heard good things about The Pajama Game. It's one of my last five Doris Day films that I still need to watch.
You should have. It's a lively and very entertaining screen version of the Broadway show with Doris perfectly cast and in great voice.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear LeoA ... I surprised anyone would dis the film version of THE PAJAMA GAME. Nine members of the Original
Broadway Cast were retained, although Ms. Day did replace Janis Paige. Bob Fosse repeated as choreographer.
The score is pretty much intact, and the one new song written for the film was jettisoned. So ... in short ... if you
want to see what one of the brightest and funniest musicals of the 1950s looked like on stage, check out the film.
It's an absolute gem!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Are they reluctant to release Pajama Game? I've seen crummy PD dvds around for years...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dear LeoA ... I surprised anyone would dis the film version of THE PAJAMA GAME. Nine members of the Original
Broadway Cast were retained, although Ms. Day did replace Janis Paige. Bob Fosse repeated as choreographer.
The score is pretty much intact, and the one new song written for the film was jettisoned. So ... in short ... if you
want to see what one of the brightest and funniest musicals of the 1950s looked like on stage, check out the film.
It's an absolute gem!

Yes, this and DAMN YANKEES (also with choreography by Fosse) are two elephant-in-the-room missing titles from the Archives series. Both are wonderful, both need Blu-ray release. And....THE HARVEY GIRLS. And...SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. And...a better transfer of ON THE TOWN & ANCHORS AWEIGH. And...HIGH SOCIETY. Hope we see at least one or two of these in 2018, but I've discovered that the Archives pretty much don't respond to requests. They simply have their own agenda.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I would like to see Operation Crossbow on Blu Ray. It would be a Warner Archive blu ray release. It is only the only big budget 60s War movie still needing the blu ray treatment....
I wouldn't say the last. Anthony Mann's The Heroes of Telemark is still needing a blu ray release. It's a Columbia release, so Twilight Time would have to do it. So far, nothing. But I agree that I'd love to see Operation Crossbow released by WAC. The DVD looks great so I think a blu-ray would be excellent.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'd really like to see more A-list classics get Warner Archive's attention. Have to also say I thought they really missed the boat on The Philadelphia Story Blu (via Criterion) that suffered from an awful lot of edge enhancement throughout. Badly done.

But honestly, we're in 2018 and still no
HIGH SOCIETY
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
NATIONAL VELVET
GREAT ZIEGFELD
THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV
THE THIN MAN (all of them)
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
GOOD NEWS
ANDY HARDY (all of them)
A WOMAN'S FACE
THE WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER
FLAMINGO ROAD
GASLIGHT
WEEKEND AT THE WALDORF
HOLIDAY IN MEXICO
REVERSAL OF FORTUNE

We need more Bette Davis (Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex), and Judy Garland (Harvey Girls), and where is Gable (Honky Tonk, Idiot's Delight, San Francisco, Test Pilot, Red Dust), Lana Turner, Garbo (Camille, anyone?!?! To say nothing of Queen Christina and Anna Karenina) and Errol Flynn (Capt. Blood, Sea Hawk - for starters; also, Gentleman Jim).

It would be great to see some Esther Williams big and splashy aquacades on this list (Million Dollar Mermaid, Easy to Love and Bathing Beauty for starters), and more musicals from Metro and Warner - pretty please (Romance on the High Seas, Starlift, Small Town Girl, The Student Prince, Till the Clouds Roll By, Words and Music, That Midnight Kiss, Royal Wedding, For Me and My Girl, Ziegfeld Girl...there's no shortage of viable contenders.

Each year that passes I grow weary that the likes of a Jane Powell, Mario Lanza and Kathryn Grayson are getting short shrift for C-grade forgettable releases like The Green Slime and From Hell It Came. And more Technicolor restorations - pretty please again. Finally, can we finally get some of the rarities their due: Johnny Eager, Hitchcock's Stage Fright, Johnny Belinda, Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, Ryan's Daughter, Raintree County, Blackboard Jungle.

There are too many gems locked away in the Warner vaults that somehow seem to continue to languish without much love or even a glimmer of suggestion something might be coming down the pike any time soon. Classics are not like new releases. They need to be re-introduced to each new generation. Burying them in a vault until such time everyone who fondly recalls their glory is dead and gone is not a very progressive outlook for any studio to have.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Probably not really a "classic," but one of my favorite comedies is My Fellow Americans with James Garner and Jack Lemmon. All I have is a full-screen DVD in a snapper case. I'd really like a widescreen blu-ray.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Probably not "old" enough to warrant a Warner Archives release, but Proof of Life with Meg Ryan and Russell Crowe has never received blu-ray treatment. It's an excellent film in my opinion.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I love Warner Archive Collection's transfers but wish they would stop their constant use of all 'shouting' uppercase-letters (and sometimes bright yellow) subtitles.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say the last. Anthony Mann's The Heroes of Telemark is still needing a blu ray release. It's a Columbia release, so Twilight Time would have to do it. So far, nothing. But I agree that I'd love to see Operation Crossbow released by WAC. The DVD looks great so I think a blu-ray would be excellent.
Anzio (1968) also fits this description and needs a Blu Ray release and is also a Columbia Release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks