1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

While we await the next Warner Archive Announcements...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Jan 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    Don't forget, from the look of things, they also have Showboat '36, since the WAC DVD is OOP (and maybe the other two films as well, who knows). And amongst the Astaire/Rogers movies, Gay Divorcee, Top Hat, Follow The Fleet and Shall We Dance are all Criterion possibilities, since WAC has yet to reissue those, while the other five are still available through WAC (and not likely to change, unless Swing Time does REALLY well, which seems unlikely given how many posts I've seen on the other forum of people all waiting for the B&N sale the following month). Either way, I do like that list of possibilities, but I hope they get spread out, so that I can afford them, as most would be day one purchases, if only to help convince WAC or Criterion to do more!

Richard M S and PMF like this.
  2. Message #522 of 792 Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    "Licensing titles out under AT&T"?
    Look for these exclusives:
    The Story of Alexander Graham Bell
    Sorry, Wrong Number
    Bird on a Wire
    Dial M for Murder
    BUtterflied 8

3. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    I was just looking at the wbshop, and I noticed a few things in the WAC pre-order section. First, for those fans of the Shaft films, they have a triple-feature Blu-ray set with Shaft and the two new releases that will be coming out the same day as the individual releases for Shaft's Big Score and Shaft In Africa, A Patch Of Blue now has a May release date, and they will also be re-releasing both the Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand A Star Is Born movies on blu. Hope that's enough info for everybody!

4. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Second Unit

Ken
    The Shaft triple feature costs only a smidgen more than one film by itself. The value is even better than their most generous sales.

Is this an indication that the WAC will be doing more releases with multiple films? If not, why kneecap the profit potential of the individual Shaft films? Were they free to remaster?

5. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    I hope the WB Archive May announcements for June release have .....Popeye Vol.2 and The Jetsons season 1 ? Fingers crossed.

Timothy E and Ethan Riley like this.
  6. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    I got the impression from what I've read about WonderCon, that the next volume of Popeye would be coming out before June. Obviously, it hasn't been announced for May, so, short of something delaying it, that should be coming in June (I hope). I wouldn't expect Jetsons in June, though. When Popeye was released in December, we were told that was being planned as a last-ditch animation release. While it sold well, I think it would be courting disaster to have multiple animated releases from WAC in the same month (not to mention the fact that Jonny Quest, originally announced first BEFORE Jetsons, still hasn't been given a release date).

7. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    Who knows? I suspect a lot of it would have to do with expected sales due to the upcoming Shaft movie. But we don't know how well either their Bogie/Bacall collection or Batman double-feature sold, either (admittedly, I have wondered whether those were released just to have a few easily done releases when they were having all those replicating problems). Either, way, it is certainly something to watch, going forward. However, before everybody gets crazy in asking for box sets from WAC, I suspect the MOST we could possibly see for any sets is a 5-film set, considering WAC is mostly reluctant to release anything priced higher than $49.99 (and their multi-film sets are being priced about $10 per movie on wbshop).

8. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    DAMN YANKEES!

usrunnr and JoelA like this.
  9. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    Still awaiting the long-promised WB release of the three Show Boat movies. Warners mentioned that almost a decade ago in an online Q&A.

10. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Looks like DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, Eastwood's BRONCO BILLY & WHITE HUNTER, BLACK HEART, and many others that Warner Bros. proper would have been more apt to release on Blu-ray years ago will now emerge, if at all, from WAC. With thousands of terrific titles in its library still hung up awaiting such a release, it is always frustrating to see crap titles getting out ahead of them. Yes, there are source material issues, I get that. And one man's poison (mine) is another's little treasure. But, at age 70, I just have to accept that not even my top 50 Warner Bros/MGM wish list titles are unlikely to reach my shelves.

RICK BOND likes this.
  11. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    YES Dick, Day's of Wine and Roses is Long over due. I feel the same way about the Crappy titles that get released. It's a Damn Shame ! : (

12. commander richardson

commander richardson Second Unit

martyn
    Like u I am 70 and knowing my luck Days of Wine and Roses BD will be released the day I fall of my perch .

13. bronson

bronson Stunt Coordinator

Adrian

I absolutely agree. Some announcements are just odd. There´re so many popular titles and they released titles that not many people will buy.

I´m desperately waiting for example for the Bronson movies "St.Ives" and "Telefon".

If the rights were with another company, it´d already be out on blu-ray.

14. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    And a film I always think of in tandem with YANKEES...THE PAJAMA GAME!

AnthonyClarke, JohnMor and Ken Koc like this.
  15. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    The one major William Castle fright film missing on Blu-ray now is MACABRE, which is in your hands, WAC.

16. usrunnr

usrunnr Writer

usrunnr
    I think this is available as a Warner's Mod. But no blu-ray, unfortunately. And the Mod doesn't have any aspect ratio information.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Damn Yankees has just been re-released by Warner Archive on DVD. The aspect ratio is 1.78. Also, a HD digital stream of it was just added to iTunes for $9.99 in its OAR. IMO because it was just re-released this week on DVD, I seriously doubt a Blu-ray is coming in the foreseeable future.

Ken Koc likes this.
  18. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Yes, I think if it had been anywhere on the near horizon, they would have had it out to coincide with and capitalize on the Fosse/Verdon miniseries.

19. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I have just watched A PATCH OF BLUE, and it is a lovely piece of work. Stunningly sharp 2,35:1 black and white with beautiful contrast and shadow detail. Mono sound is...well, mono sound. But, oh, that image!

Jimbo64 and Robert Crawford like this.
  20. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    Personally, I cannot wait for July's fantastic slate of goodies to arrive. Wow! and thank you!!!!

Astairefan likes this.