What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes, this one is definitely overdue for a BD edition and a definite purchase from me now makes three.

Hey guys, mind if I join the Posse?:wave-hello:

Of course you can join - it ain't like it used to be but it'll do ;)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Would it? Horror of Dracula was one of their single most anticipated horror films and that never even cracked WBShop's top 20.

WAC would have to really suck at their job if they couldn't sell Tarzan or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
It didnt crack the top 20 because horror fanboys preferred the import version with all the extras, and the transfers werent that significant in difference. If Scream Factory had it I would suspect it would sell better. That being said Frankenstein 1970 and other cult/horror/sci-fi titles are most likely their bigger sellers, IMHO. Im hoping for Attack of the 50 Foot Woman one of these months myself !

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Good timing for the 4/$44 sale. Ended up picking up the Blus for The Sea Wolf, The Sea Hawk, Innocent Blood, Cabaret, and The Thing from Another World; plus the DVDs of Lights of New York, Show People, Why Be Good?, Gold Raiders/Meet the Baron, and The Lost Squadron.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The Great Ziegfeld
Ivanhoe
National Velvet
Gaslight
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (both versions)
The Thin Man (all of them)
Around the World in 80 Days
The Letter
Red Dust
For Me and My Gal
So true and correct.
Borrowing from your list, I have highlighted 10 titles that would be a definite purchase for my library, as well; with an 11th title as a bonus; as I feel that "Madame Bovary" should be released in conjunction with "Ryan's Daughter".

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Has anything been heard about Warner's plans for Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid finally coming to Blu-ray?
Yup, Pat Garrett is a huge title, & I prefer the Turner cut to the Seydor cut, & just like the DVD release, I expect the release (when it comes) to have both cuts. I keep reading that it's going to be a Criterion release, but I don't know where that rumour started. I want it!
Oh yes, this one is definitely overdue for a BD edition and a definite purchase from me now makes three.

Hey guys, mind if I join the Posse?:wave-hello:
Of course you can join - it ain't like it used to be but it'll do.;)
Nick Redman wanted Pat Garett and Billy the Kid on Blu Ray, as well; so we'll pick up on his trail and pursue.
Okay, OliverK and Billy Batson, this one's for the original Peckinpah Posse;
that being Nick, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle; so saddle up.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I feel that "Madame Bovary" should be released in conjunction with "Ryan's Daughter".

...& Scaramouche (1952) with Start The Revolution Without Me (1970), they're both set during the French revolution (& of course both on my wants lists), & any swashbuckler with My Favourite Year, they really should have released The Bad & The Beautiful along side Two Weeks In Another Town.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
...& Scaramouche (1952) with Start The Revolution Without Me (1970), they're both set during the French revolution (& of course both on my wants lists), & any swashbuckler with My Favourite Year, they really should have released The Bad & The Beautiful along side Two Weeks In Another Town.
Of the 8 Oscar nominations belonging to Peter O' Toole for Best Actor, WAC has 2 of those titles in the vaults;
"Goodbye, Mr. Chips" (1968) or "My Favorite Year" (1982); both of which have yet to receive their proper Blu Ray releases.

Last edited:

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I´m not satisfied with the latest Warner Archive announcements. Nothing to buy for me. Who chooses the titles by Warner?
I can´t imagine that many people buy those blu-rays.

I wait for some Bronson, Eastwood or Burt Reynolds movies. Titles like "Best Friends", Stroker Ace, St. Ives, Telefon, Bronco Billy.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I´m not satisfied with the latest Warner Archive announcements. Nothing to buy for me. Who chooses the titles by Warner? I can´t imagine that many people buy those blu-rays.

Actually, if the enthusiastic response from a lot of the HTFers here is any indication, they are popular titles. There's been more enthusiasm collectively for the recent Warners titles announcement than previous recent announcements.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd advise listening to the Warner Archive podcast since they do a great job of hyping up titles, not to mention explain why stuff comes out when it does. Their remastering is funded by the profits made from their releases, so it makes sense why they release a lot of genre films that are popular with collectors that probably don't cost as much to remaster compared to bigger films that require expensive restoration to properly bring to Blu-ray.

Here's some recommendations if anyone is interested:

Night Moves - brilliant 70s neo-noir with Gene Hackman
Gun Crazy - one of the best noirs ever made
Popeye the Sailor, Vol 1 - The 1940s - Easily the best restoration I've seen of vintage animation on the format.
The Green Slime - It's utterly ridiculous, but oddly fun and quite colorful.
Ride the High Country - Terrific early film by Sam Peckinpah
Super Fly - One of the best 70s blaxploitation films
The Hanging Tree - Underrated western with Gary Cooper
The Hudsucker Proxy - Overlooked Coen Bros. film
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - Just loaded with fantastic acting
The Loved One - Bizarre, but hilarious comedy with an all-star cast
42nd Street - My favorite 30s Warner musical next to Footlight Parade
Performance - Essential viewing for those into 60s/70s surrealism
Cabaret - One of the best films of the 70s
Susan Slept Here - It's Frank Tashlin and Debbie Reynolds, enough for me.

Also, while DVD-only, I highly recommend the Porky 101 set. Yes, it's a mixed bag of masters, being a mix of fully cleaned, hands-off scans of prints, and a few laserdisc-era masters, but it's still excellent content-wise. I'd also recommend the Don Juan (1926) DVD because it has the entire pre-show with almost a dozen shorts restored from the Vitaphone Project.

One other surprise of the DVD-only line was the set with the surviving Three Stooges shorts, including the recently-found Hello, Pop! short. Obviously, that short is a new master (what else?) but the others are newly remastered, as well.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]they really should have released The Bad & The Beautiful along side Two Weeks In Another Town.
"The Bad and the Beautiful" is way overdue.
I should like to think that WAC knows more about their titles - by light years - than I could ever hope;
still, all in all, let's refresh their memory; as they are undoubtedly very busy and endlessly swamped.

The Bad and the Beautiful (Oscar WINS):
Actress in a Supporting Role - Gloria Grahame
Art Direction/Set Decoration - Cedric Gibbons, Edwin B. Willis
Cinematography - Robert Surtees
Costume Design - Helen Rose
Writing (Screenplay) - Charles Schnee

This Vincente Minnelli directed film had a solid 5 out of 6 Oscar wins;
with Kirk Douglas nominated for Best Actor.

This win for DP Robert Surtees represents one of three career Oscars;
along with "Ben-Hur" and the still missing on BD title of "King Solomon's Mines".

As for "Two Weeks in Another Town" being suggested by Billy Batson?
Although I am not familiar with this title, it makes sense;
as this, too, represents another Vincente Minnelli outing with Kirk Douglas as lead.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"The Bad and the Beautiful" is way overdue.
I should like to think that WAC knows - by light years - more about their titles than I could ever hope;
still, all in all, let's refresh their memory; as they are undoubtedly very busy and endlessly swamped.

The Bad and the Beautiful (Oscar WINS):
Actress in a Supporting Role - Gloria Grahame
Art Direction/Set Decoration - Cedric Gibbons, Edwin B. Willis
Cinematography - Robert Surtees
Costume Design - Helen Rose
Writing (Screenplay) - Charles Schnee

This Vincente Minnelli directed film had a solid 5 out of 6 Oscar wins;
with Kirk Douglas nominated for Best Actor.

This win for DP Robert Surtees represents one of three career Oscars;
along with "Ben-Hur" and the still missing on BD title of "King Solomon's Mines".

as this, too, represents another Vincente Minnelli outing with Kirk Douglas as lead.
I like to watch "Two Weeks in Another Town" and "The Bad and the Beautiful" as a double feature viewing as both are about the film industry. We can only hope that Warner Archive will release this on BD in the near future.

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

The Warner Archive Blu-ray disc is good: well worth buying.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The Warner Archive Blu-ray disc is good: well worth buying.
Ah, so there it is; I had misinterpreted Billy Batson's quote concerning "Two Weeks in Another Town" as not yet being available.
Good, another one off the list; cutting a wider path for "The Bad and the Beautiful" and making room for "King Solomon's Mines".:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
DP Robert Surtees received 3 Oscars along with 16 career nominations.
11 are now available on BD.
3 of the 5 missing titles are with WAC.
"Thirty Seconds over Tokyo" (1944) was Mr. Surtees first nomination.
"King Solomon's Mines" (1950) and "The Bad and the Beautiful" (1952) were his Oscar wins;
I can't help but wonder why at least one of these three WAC titles hasn't yet been released on BD.

Robert Surtees (Nominations):

1944 - "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo" (Black and White)*
1950 - "King Solomon's Mines" (Color)*
1951 - "Quo Vadis" (Color)
1952 - "The Bad and the Beautiful" (Black and White)*
1955 - "Oklahoma!" (Color)
1959 - "Ben-Hur" (Color) - Surtees 3rd Oscar win
1962 - "Mutiny on the Bounty" (Color)
1967 - "Doctor Dolittle" (Color)
1967 - "The Gradute" (Color)
1971 - "The Last Picture Show" (Black and White)
1971 - "Summer of '42" (Color)
1973 - "The Sting" (Color)
1975 - "The Hindenburg" (Color)
1976 - "A Star is Born" (Color)
1977 - "The Turning Point" (Color)*
1978 - "Same Time, Next Year" (Color)*

(*) Denotes the still missing titles not yet available on Blu Ray

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just wish they'd throw classic film fans a real bone. This last bunch is the best they can do?
Would it hurt WAC's revenue and sales if at least one of the four monthly releases were a classic title?
That might make for a nice tradition.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Would it hurt WAC's revenue and sales if at least one of the four monthly releases were a classic title?
That might make for a nice tradition.
Define "classic". The latest batch of announcements has at least two "classics" by my definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks