What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (18 Viewers)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Kind of surprised one of these titles wasn't Ron Howard's NIGHT SHIFT, which finally got an HD transfer on iTunes. Still, no complaints from me about FRANKENSTEIN 1970.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I beg to differ that some of those titles from those companies aren't "good stuff".

I think what he means is that it is not always enough that a company releases an older movie in good quality, there also has to be interest in the movie itself. So the "good stuff" for him means titles that he enjoys buying and (re)watching and I understand him very well as I am only interested in one of the three titles myself.

Happy to see that titles keep on coming though and also for those who have waited for these titles.

Reactions: PMF

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I beg to differ that some of those titles from those companies aren't "good stuff".

Well I did say these things are subjective, & the "good stuff" as far as I'm concerned are films I want to see & own. I know A Patch Of Blue & Summer Stock are excellent choices (& I'm sure Summer Stock will look stunning), & there's some great releases from other companies, but they have to be films I fancy owning (& I'm just having a dry spell right now).. Some of the finest films ever made haven't made it into my little collection.

...in fact what Oliver said.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
still waiting on that Jonny Quest announcement, :D
And a re-Quest for "Johnny Belinda", too.

Otherwise:
"The Days of Wine and Roses"
"Sergeant York"
"Pride of the Yankees"
"The Life of Emile Zola"
"A Day at the Races"
"A Night at the Opera"
"Bringing Up Baby"
"Wuthering Heights" (1939)

Last edited:

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
There’s no need for foul language. We’ve already received indications that they’re moving forward with Volume 2, and if they’re doing as they did with Volume 1, they’re more than likely waiting on the transfers.

It's also been indicated that some of the soundtrack elements have gone missing for a couple of shorts, and WAC is scouring for them.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Otherwise:
"Sergeant York"
"Pride of the Yankees"
"The Life of Emile Zola"
"A Day at the Races"
"A Night at the Opera"
"Bringing Up Baby"

i'll second that on every single one of them and add Arsenic and Old Lace for good mesure

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Otherwise:
"Sergeant York"
"Pride of the Yankees"
"The Life of Emile Zola"
"A Day at the Races"
"A Night at the Opera"
"Bringing Up Baby"

A really great list...but I wouldn't buy any of them. I looked at the DVDs of A Night At The Opera & A Day At The Races the other month, & they hadn't aged well (for me anyway), & I always found Bringing Up Baby rather annoying (all that shouting). Sergeant York is great, but it's been showing on TCM (UK) & I've looked at it twice, & I think that's enough for me (in other words, I don't want to own it). I don't fancy Wuthering Heights (I did see it a couple of times on TV in the sixties), I've never seen Pride Of The Yankees & The Life Of Emile Zola, & The Days Of Wine & Roses, great film though it is, is a bit of a downer for me. I do love a lot of thirties & forties b/w films & could make a long(ish) wants list. I'm just saying how hard it is to please people.

Just ten b/w movies (to keep it to a short round figure) that I'd give a Yahoo! to if they were released:

The Mask Of Fu Manchu (1932)
Gold Diggers Of 1933 (1933)
Tarzan & His Mate (1934)
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938)
Boom Town (1940)
Air Force (1943)
Bataan (1943)
The Big Sky (1952)
The Bad & The Beautiful (1952)
The Hill (1965).

Last edited:

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Among the films included in the next TCM Film Festival there are a lot of WB owned titles, most of them presented in film.
But there are three exceptions (among never released on BD) to be presented in DCP: The Bad Seed, High Society and The Opposite Sex. I wonder if this means soon-to-be-released Warner Archives Blurays.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
3BB830DE-EDBD-4093-8491-E886EC24A366.jpeg
I am referring to the 1956 movie, not on Blu-ray.

I have the 1956 The Bad Seed on Blu-Ray.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm glad that High Society is likely coming soon (And I'm even happier that I don't have to complain that The Philadelphia Story is absent).

More Grace Kelly and Bing Crosby on Blu-Ray is always welcomed. Bing in particular is getting somewhat close to having all my favorites out on Blu-Ray. Hopefully Going My Way, Welcome Stranger (Never see anyone talk about this one, but I love it), A Connecticut Yankee, and several more hit the format when all is said and one.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks