What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (6 Viewers)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
If bigger means classic movie, I'm totally with you.:)
Well, that's what I'm hoping. I mean, if they're referring to overall number of movies for the year, they have A LOT of ground to make up for. I think they have released/ announced something like 19 new-to-blu MOVIES up through July (not counting Dark of the Sun which still has no release date or the re-release of Meet Me in St. Louis), versus nearly 31 (I think) within the same time frame last year. And since the sheer numbers of releases they would have to pull off seems way to enormous to even happen, then I can only assume they are going after some of the higher profile stuff we have been begging them for.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think we have to remember that Wac/Warner is a business and not a charity for film fans. Spending 200K plus re-mastering and much more if restoration is needed to sell 1,000 or less copies of an older title is not smart business sense. Nearly everyone here could probably make a list of 100 movies they would buy on blu ray. I could make a list of at least 200 titles but we have to be releastic most are not going to sell anywhere near the number of titles that would be needed to make the remastering/Restoration worthwhile. Warner knows this just as other studios do. Sometimes we get titles that some feel are not worthy compared to other titles but a big part of the equation here is that title did not need as much work. Warner has a policy of not releasing titles on blu that due not meet their high standards.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is pretty high profile.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
What would I like from Warner on blu? Just these high-profile films:
Angels in the Outfield (1951)
Arsenic and Old Lace
Damn Yankees
The Late Show
Mister Roberts
The Pajama Game
The Thing (From Another World)
-- Unlikely because of elements issues, but still ...

Last edited:

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
The "old squeaky wheel" turns again: The Prince and the Showgirl, The Devils (or give it to Criterion), The Great Ziegfeld,
David Copperfield
(the classic 1930's version), the SHOW BOAT trilogy.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, trying to think of some "classic" films:

The Marx Brothers: A Night At The Opera/A Day At The Races - The Sea Hawk - The Bad & The Beautiful - Ryan's Daughter. It could be a very long list, there's just so many of 'em in Warner's vaults, & a lot of my top picks couldn't really be described as "classics". Oh well, let's see what's announced next month.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think that Around The World in 80 Days is one of the biggest they still haven't released and that could also be considered big with regard to the financial effort that it requires. The Brothers Grimm and Raintree County would also be extremely expensive but they are probably not in the same league with regard to popularity both in these days and back when the movies were released. Then they have some of the most in demand silents like The Wind or Greed so I would consider these very big - and probably expensive to prepare - but does Warner see it that way?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
.... But ONLY in 3D !

MV5BY2NiYzBhZTctNGQyMC00NGU3LWI1NmEtNmJmOTlkZDNhMTdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ3Njg3MQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Yeah, I love that one, & I wouldn't even watch it in 3D, it's 2D for me.

If you have region-free capability on your player you can get this perfectly nice French DVD (I have it):

https://www.amazon.fr/fantôme-rue-Morgue-Karl-Malden/dp/B000DJBO0I/ref=sr_1_82?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1530042299&sr=1-82&keywords=steve+forrest

If Warner were to make the mistake of releasing Phantom in Region 1 in 2D-only I'm afraid, Billy, you may be in the minority as a buyer. If they do the smart thing and release it in 3D, then they'll be able to charge double what they could price for a 2D-only disc and they'll still sell thousands of discs (based on sales results for other genre '50s 3D blu rays); heck, I'd pay three times...

Of course that means 2D-constrained shoppers would pay a bit more than they would for a regular 2D blu ray but presumably a 3D release would come filled with extras...

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
Last year I posted a list of 25 titles I suspected might show up in 2017 in the Archives releases. Only one was actually released, which surprised me, although I was happy with many of their titles.

This year, I am listing my favorite non-Blu-ray releases from Warner Bros, MGM and Allied Artists that might actually be under consideration or which I seriously want to see released, with the hope that at least 10% of them will be reach us. We'll see...I could again be way-y off.

If you hate lists, ignore this post, go about your business and enjoy your day.

WARNER BROS. TITLES
Angels With Dirty Faces
Awakening, The (1980)
Baby Doll
Black Scorpion, The
Bronco Billy
Captain Blood
Carny
Countdown (Robert Altman, 1968)
Crimson Pirate, The
Damn Yankees
Dead End
Devils, The
Femme Fatale
Fox, The
Going In Style (1979)
Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, The
I Love You Alice B. Toklas
Julius Caeser
King's Row
Land Of the Pharaohs
Last Of Sheila, The
Late Show, The
Letter, The
Life Of Emile Zola, The
Local Hero
Looker
Midsummer Night's Dream
Mister Roberts
Night Shift
Objective Burma
Oh God
O Lucky Man
Pajama Game, The
Petulia
Prince Of the City
Quick Change
Rachel Rachel
Sea Hawk, The
Straight Time
Sundowners, The
They Drive By Night
White Hunter, Black Heart

MGM
Adam's Rib
Alamo, The (United Artists, but now property of MGM)
Cameraman, The
Canterville Ghost, The
Captain Sinbad
Children of the Damned
Dark Of the Sun
Day At the Races, A
Edge Of the City
Freaks
Great Ziegfeld, The
Green Mansions
Harvey Girls, The
Ivanhoe
King Solomon's Mines (1952)
Les Girls
Libeled Lady
Lili
Mark Of the Vampire
Moulin Rouge (1952)
My Favorite Year
Naked Spur, The
National Velvet
Never So Few
Night Of the Iguana
Patch Of Blue, A
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Queen Christina
Red Badge Of Courage, The
Scaramouche
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
7 Faces Of Dr. Leo, The
Shoot the Moon
Show Boat (multiple versions)
Thin Man, The
Three Musketeers, The (1948)
tom thumb
Village Of the Damned
Whose Life Is It Anyway?
Wild Rovers, The
Young Cassidy

ALLIED ARTISTS
Big Circus, The
Billy Budd
Friendly Persuasion
Giant Behemoth, The
Macabre
Not Of This Earth (may not belong to WB)
Queen Of Outer Space

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
Here's some I continue to long for (not necessarily WB): Star!, Thoroughly Modern Millie (letterboxed), Sweet Charity (letterboxed), Call Me Madam, Pajama Game, Damn Yankees, Dark at the Top of the Stairs, All the Way Home, Wives and Lovers, Tales of Hoffmann- Gone to Earth-more Pressburger-Powell, MIA MGM and Fox musicals, will there ever be a release of Preminger's Porgy and Bess?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What would I like from Warner on blu? Just these high-profile films:

The Thing (From Another World) -- Unlikely because of elements issues, but still ...

I know I am a broken record about this, but my guess is that a vast proportion of THING fans would be happy to have the 85-minute edition, on Blu-ray, for which I believe WB has very good elements. I am not worried about those 4-5 minutes of footage added in for some releases...it's simply not very consequential and appears to be holding up Blu release of this film year after year after year.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
How come they never released The Pride of the Yankees ??? The released other Samuel Goldwyn movies on Bluray. I still have the old dvd and still waiting. ??? They never release any Errol Flynn movies. Just .. Robin Hood and Dodge City ? I can't believe it. And what's the story with the Hammer Films ?? How long does it take already ???? : (

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
How come they never released The Pride of the Yankees ??? The released other Samuel Goldwyn movies on Bluray. I still have the old dvd and still waiting. ??? (

They most certainly have not released all the Goldwyn movies on Blu-ray. The only ones they’ve done are Best Years of Our Lives, Bishop’s Wife, and Hans Christian Andersen. The one Goldwyn title I would really like to see on Blu-ray is Wuthering Heights.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Now we've had one offbeat western directed by a Hollywood legend, The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean, hows about another, There Was A Crooked Man...(1970), directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz no less.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Now we've had one offbeat western directed by a Hollywood legend, The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean, hows about another, There Was A Crooked Man...(1970), directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz no less.
I'd like to see that one again too. It's not, repeat not, a typical Joseph Mankiewicz film!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks