What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (6 Viewers)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Don't you mean 5? I thought I saw THE BLACK SCORPION on your list as well.

I doubt he'll have any luck with that. The titles he listed that came out had a better chance, considering WAC is releasing almost nothing made before 1954. I highly doubt too many of the pre-1954 titles he (or we) want are coming anytime soon and believe me, I HATE saying that, particularly in regards to the Astaire-Rogers films, which ARE my most-wanted movies from Warner at the moment (which also have the added problem of being from the VERY poorly represented decade of the 30s, at least through WAC). I am hoping that SEVEN BRIDES does well enough for them to consider digging into more pre-1954 stuff, but even if it does, I would think it would be a little while before we start to see much, if anything.
Not sure I can agree with that . WAC has released at least 21 pre-1954 titles on blu ray:

To Have and Have Not
The Big Sleep
Key Largo
Yankee Doodle Dandy
They were Expendable
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
The Sea Wolf
Battleground
Out of the Past
Suspicion
Dark Passage
Murder my Sweet
On Dangerous Ground
I Confess
Passage to Marseille
The Picture of Dorian Gray
42nd Street
Father of the Bride
Possessed
Thank Your Lucky stars
Gun Crazy

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Not sure I can agree with that . WAC has released at least 21 pre-1954 titles on blu ray:

To Have and Have Not
The Big Sleep
Key Largo
Yankee Doodle Dandy
They were Expendable
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
The Sea Wolf
Battleground
Out of the Past
Suspicion
Dark Passage
Murder my Sweet
On Dangerous Ground
I Confess
Passage to Marseille
42nd Street
Father of the Bride
Possessed
Thank Your Lucky stars
Gun Crazy

You are correct, and it was a mistake in wording on my part. What I meant to say is that, we really have not seen much of any pre-1954 stuff since their release of To Have And Have Not in July 2016. Just 3 titles since then, and none of them musicals, and they still have yet to release ANY pre-1954 MGM musicals on blu (Meet Me In St. Louis is a re-release and not a new transfer, so it doesn't count).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

To Have and Have Not
The Big Sleep
Key Largo
Yankee Doodle Dandy
They were Expendable
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
The Sea Wolf
Battleground
Out of the Past
Suspicion
Dark Passage
Murder my Sweet
On Dangerous Ground
I Confess
Passage to Marseille
42nd Street
Father of the Bride
Possessed
Thank Your Lucky stars
Gun Crazy

Yes indeed, and I have every one of those discs!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Out of tens of thousands? Not a very good record, at all. And only one major silent, The Big Parade, when they own the crown jewel masterpieces of the silent era...sorry, not good.

I am supposing that WB/WAC are aware of our desire for GREED, THE WIND, THE CROWD, etc. on Blu-ray. Element issues are probably in play here, as well as "How many copies of this can we actually sell? I hope WAC can eventually get us these silent classics.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Out of tens of thousands? Not a very good record, at all. And only one major silent, The Big Parade, when they own the crown jewel masterpieces of the silent era...sorry, not good.

If it goes at the rate that Astairefan has pointed out we will get another 60 titles in the next 40 years and then nobody will be left to complain - problem solved. OK, this is a bit of an exaggeration but obviously at the going rate a very substantial part of Warner's massive catalog will not be released any time soon, not even on DVD.

Whenever we do the math it becomes clear that we need a different way of accessing these movies in a more cost effective way if we want better coverage and this also goes for other studios. To me it seems a bit unfair to always lean on Warner but then they have the most unreleased high profile titles of any studio and it is only natural that the demand for releasing more catalog titles would be highest for Warner.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think we have to remember that Wac/Warner is a business and not a charity for film fans. Spending 200K plus for re-mastering and much more if restoration is needed to sell 1,000 or less copies of an older title is not smart business sense. Nearly everyone here could probably make a list of 100 movies they would buy on blu ray. I could make a list of at least 200 titles but we have to be releastic most are not going to sell anywhere near the number of titles that would be needed to make the remastering/Restoration worthwhile. Warner knows this just as other studios do. Sometimes we get titles that some feel are not worthy compared to other titles but a big part of the equation here is that title did not need as much work. Warner has a policy of not releasing titles on blu that due not meet their high standards.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I didn't think that Warner was going through & restoring their back catalogue just for Blu-ray sales. Apart from the real estate of their studios, I'd think the back catalogue makes up most of the companies worth. I don't know how it works, but I think the studios should be getting a government grant or some sort of tax break for restoring their thirties b/w films, after all, they are part of America's cultural history.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I think we have to remember that Wac/Warner is a business and not a charity for film fans. Spending 200K plus re-mastering and much more if restoration is needed to sell 1,000 or less copies of an older title is not smart business sense. Nearly everyone here could probably make a list of 100 movies they would buy on blu ray. I could make a list of at least 200 titles but we have to be releastic most are not going to sell anywhere near the number of titles that would be needed to make the remastering/Restoration worthwhile. Warner knows this just as other studios do. Sometimes we get titles that some feel are not worthy compared to other titles but a big part of the equation here is that title did not need as much work. Warner has a policy of not releasing titles on blu that due not meet their high standards.
I definitely get that. My main point was that WE need to adjust what we hope. I mean, I've been watching the last few days as people have complained that Children of the Damned didn't get announced along with Village. I can understand complaining about it not being given an individual release, but the complaints I have seen indicate people think it should have been released as part of a double-feature, and I would like to know where people are getting the idea that would even be realistic! WAC has yet to release ANY double-features on blu (at least for two DIFFERENT movies). All they have released are multiple versions of the SAME movie, in one of three ways: 1) we got the main version in HD and the alternate in SD (The Big Sleep) 2) we got one version in a new HD scan and an older transfer (Superman) and 3) we got both versions with new HD scans, but the main one had major restoration work, and the alternate had minor work, with more that could be done (Seven Brides For Seven Brothers). Obviously, option 2 would not work for Village and Children, so that would leave the other two options. With Seven Brides, we saw that the work done had EVERYTHING to do with the price that they intended to charge (at least, according to the reviewer on blu-ray.com which makes sense to me), so unless WAC can be convinced to release double-features for a different price, I can only see the first or third options happening, neither of which should (it's one thing to be done on alternate versions of the movie, but I really think they should do all the work for sequels or whatever that they do, so I think there should be INDIVIDUAL releases.
I also think the idea (from our side) that the studios need to adjust what they do is ridiculous! They do adjust (just not the way we want them to). I don't think they can increase the pace at this point, no matter how much work they put in. Olive is barely releasing anything, Twilight Time is releasing 4 titles a month instead of 5 (I know that is because their MGM license is over) while utilizing frequent sales (which seem to be the only way their titles sell out anymore), Kino may be releasing a lot, but they are using sales more (and how many of their releases don't get subtitles, especially when they could use them), both the Fox and Sony MOD programs seem kaput. I think the slower pace allows WAC to put out some of their bigger titles (it seems to me people were happier with WAC's slower 2016 output than with their much faster 2017 output, myself included, and I actually feel better myself with their slower output this year).

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I think the studios should be getting a government grant or some sort of tax break for restoring their thirties b/w films, after all, they are part of America's cultural history.

Unlike other countries and cultures, the Arts aren't as revered in the U.S. For example, in many other countries, there are state funded opera houses and ballet companies as well as national theaters. Not in the U.S. Not to mention the poor National Endowment Of The Arts which is criminally underfunded to the point that the current administration has proposed eliminating all funding for the program! All this is a roundabout way of saying that tax breaks and government grants for restoring B&W 1930s movies ain't gonna happen EVER! I can imagine the outrage of the unwashed masses when they find out their tax money is going to fund some obscure Kay Francis movie! :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I definitely get that. My main point was that WE need to adjust what we hope. I mean, I've been watching the last few days as people have complained that Children of the Damned didn't get announced along with Village. I can understand complaining about it not being given an individual release, but the complaints I have seen indicate people think it should have been released as part of a double-feature, and I would like to know where people are getting the idea that would even be realistic!

Oh I think it was realistic, after all we got the double bill on DVD, & we're not talking about an early thirties nitrate film with Children, it's a mid-sixties b/w film, I'd have thought it was quite a straight forward film to work on. But...we didn't get it, so that's that. Very first world problems. And didn't Warner post on their Facebook page (or something like that) that this year could be the busiest one yet. I'm not complaining, I'm very glad we have the WAC releases, & I'll carry on doing what I've been doing...crossing my fingers on announcement day that there's something I want, & if there is, I'll buy it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I am supposing that WB/WAC are aware of our desire for GREED, THE WIND, THE CROWD, etc. on Blu-ray. Element issues are probably in play here, as well as "How many copies of this can we actually sell? I hope WAC can eventually get us these silent classics.
yes Dick, i do have a desire for GREED,

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Oh I think it was realistic, after all we got the double bill on DVD, & we're not talking about an early thirties nitrate film with Children, it's a mid-sixties b/w film, I'd have thought it was quite a straight forward film to work on. But...we didn't get it, so that's that. Very first world problems. And didn't Warner post on their Facebook page (or something like that) that this year could be the busiest one yet. I'm not complaining, I'm very glad we have the WAC releases, & I'll carry on doing what I've been doing...crossing my fingers on announcement day that there's something I want, & if there is, I'll buy it.
Technically, they didn't say it would be their "busiest," they said it *might* be their "biggest" yet. At this point, I'm taking that to mean they are going for their bigger releases, because with only four months' worth of announcements to go (since they generally don't release much of anything in December), that would take A LOT of announcements, and they would just about have to release NO new-to-dvd titles so that their resources would go entirely to their blu releases (otherwise, six titles in a month gave them a lot of trouble last fall, with at least one title being delayed into the next month a few times). I hope I am right about them going for some bigger releases.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

I would love THE CROWD on blu.

I think GREED is problematic. NOTHING exists of the 9h cut (outside what they cut it down to) and I don’t know what exists of the four hour cut.

At any rate, WAC would do an amazing job regardless. And I’m sure they’d give us ALL extant footage.

Does anyone know what shape/what exists of the film?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I definitely get that. My main point was that WE need to adjust what we hope. I mean, I've been watching the last few days as people have complained that Children of the Damned didn't get announced along with Village. I can understand complaining about it not being given an individual release, but the complaints I have seen indicate people think it should have been released as part of a double-feature, and I would like to know where people are getting the idea that would even be realistic! WAC has yet to release ANY double-features on blu (at least for two DIFFERENT movies). All they have released are multiple versions of the SAME movie, in one of three ways: 1) we got the main version in HD and the alternate in SD (The Big Sleep) 2) we got one version in a new HD scan and an older transfer (Superman) and 3) we got both versions with new HD scans, but the main one had major restoration work, and the alternate had minor work, with more that could be done (Seven Brides For Seven Brothers). Obviously, option 2 would not work for Village and Children, so that would leave the other two options. With Seven Brides, we saw that the work done had EVERYTHING to do with the price that they intended to charge (at least, according to the reviewer on blu-ray.com which makes sense to me), so unless WAC can be convinced to release double-features for a different price, I can only see the first or third options happening, neither of which should (it's one thing to be done on alternate versions of the movie, but I really think they should do all the work for sequels or whatever that they do, so I think there should be INDIVIDUAL releases.
I also think the idea (from our side) that the studios need to adjust what they do is ridiculous! They do adjust (just not the way we want them to). I don't think they can increase the pace at this point, no matter how much work they put in. Olive is barely releasing anything, Twilight Time is releasing 4 titles a month instead of 5 (I know that is because their MGM license is over) while utilizing frequent sales (which seem to be the only way their titles sell out anymore), Kino may be releasing a lot, but they are using sales more (and how many of their releases don't get subtitles, especially when they could use them), both the Fox and Sony MOD programs seem kaput. I think the slower pace allows WAC to put out some of their bigger titles (it seems to me people were happier with WAC's slower 2016 output than with their much faster 2017 output, myself included, and I actually feel better myself with their slower output this year).
Very true on expecting a double feature with CotD. I found that more puzzling on facebook so many horror/sci fi were complaining about the same thing but they always give Scream Factory a free pass. Scream Factory is the one that needs to do double feature for all their recent 50's and 60's horror sci fi blu rays as they are higher priced than WAC and never are discounted as much in sales or on Amazon. As a result I always have a huge backlog of Scream Factory titles that I want but won't buy due to Price. Most of these are 75-80 minute b movies that are just not worth the $20-$23 that they sell for even on Amazon. Not worth it to me. If they were double feature I would jump on them. WAC titles are normally $16-$18 on Amazon and are on sale at some point for 4 for $44. So I am fine with separate releases there.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

my statement wasn't a complaint, and i was just basing it off the old DVD double feature, as i think a lot of us were, personally what i am more concerned with is the presentation of the film its' self

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
I'm in for The Wind.
I saw it during film studies and it's a great classic. Admittedly I don't remember much about it. Just some atmospheric scenes in a cabin and a winter storm, Lillian Gish and a villain wearing a black coat and a black hat (?).

I own one silent, which came with the Ten Commandments set.
If there's one silent I'd purchase on DVD or Blu, whatever, it's The Wind! :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
my statement wasn't a complaint, and i was just basing it off the old DVD double feature, as i think a lot of us were, personally what i am more concerned with is the presentation of the film its' self
Understandable but the DVD was from WHV. Wac released the Blu Ray and they don't do double feature blu rays so no surprise here.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Well, unless I am wrong, weren't The Deadly Trackers and Man In The Wilderness paired together on dvd as well? I know they both got individual releases on blu. All I am trying to say, is that, until we ACTUALLY get a double-feature on blu from WAC (unlikely, because as I said before, they seem to be obsessed with making sure their movie releases are all available for the same price, which would affect how much work they can put into some titles if they tried to pair them together), we should NOT make any assumptions about movies being paired together, regardless of runtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    blitz
    Recent bookmarks