1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

While we await the next Warner Archive Announcements...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Jan 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
  2. mcash007

mcash007 Stunt Coordinator

Matt
    I have been hoping for years (seems like eternity) for the release of Blood on the Moon 1948, and Journey into Fear 1942. I have already given up on any Golden Age 3D releases, but a hold out a little hope for those two! And any other RKO noirs & westerns.

3. Message #183 of 792 Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Judging from the DVD, Blood On The Moon will require a lot of work to make it fit for Blu-ray. Warner Archive tend to go for low-hanging fruit so I'll be surprised if that wonderful film comes out on Blu-ray disc.

4. mcash007

mcash007 Stunt Coordinator

Matt
    Yeah, I have the french DVD, defiantly lacking in quality

5. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    yeah I read some of the specs on that the only thing that kind of concerns me and maybe some of the other people that have been waiting on this Boyd Kirkland originally cut a widescreen version of that or actually was letter box with 5.1 surround sound and I don't think that's what we're going to be getting it's a shame that the directors original version isn't going to get seen

6. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    According to them on FB, they know the rumors about that, and they say that's all it is, a rumor.

7. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin

upload_2018-3-2_0-4-51.

upload_2018-3-2_0-12-5.

just saying, 1.66:1 and full frame, maybe the sound doesn't change, it doesn't matter though, this was pre-ordered as soon as i t showed up on the Archive site, out of all of the Animated series, this "Villain" is possibly the most sympathetic character arc in the series,

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

If the sound was 5.1 on the Laserdisc it would specifically say AC-3 which this does not so it was not a 5.1 mix. They also they pointed out that this film was not framed during the animation process to be matted at 1.66 . The matts were simply added when it was released on home video.

9. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Just wish more classic titles would be "liberated" from WB. Please, let them give up all their wonderful widescreen historical films and give Olive, Eureka and Kino a shot at them. Haven't seen even one of them since WB started their blu-ray Archive.

atfree likes this.
  10. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I wonder if we’ll see a release of the Candidate (1972) sometime soon? It is the midterms after all, and the only DVD release is that full screen travesty from the early days of the format.

Dave Lawrence likes this.
  11. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    I gave up on WBArchive ! Great library of Classics that NEVER get released. ?????? : ( ...I Love KINO !

12. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

As a big fan of Historical epics I'm drawing a blank as to what films you could be referring to. Other than lesser titles like Helen of Troy and Land of the Pharaohs what other Widescreen historical epics does Warner have that have not already been released? I guess Around the world in 80 days could fit but we know that needs restoration work. Ryans Daughter and Raintree County are more soap operas than Historical Epics and both need work.

skylark68 likes this.
  13. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

I am delighted by the dozens and dozens of exceptional Blu-ray releases WB has been providing, and continues to. So many amazing releases, and they appeal to a multitude of audiences. I certainly understand the frustration of some who bemoan the lack of a release of their particular favorites. Not every title is one that I may want, but I certainly know it will appeal to others. I myself, have been constantly surprised and satisfied by their diverse and exceptional Blu-rays....and a Warner release means you don't have to worry about a dated master that looks like an upconverted DVD. WB gives us the real deal, and their product is first-class. Keep them coming! I'm certain I speak for many film enthusiasts who are grateful for the great Blu-rays you have brought forth, and we look forward to your future surprises as well.

14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Well said. I agree completely. No other studio has as much different material as Warners so they are bound to always disappoint different groups at different times but when Warners goes through a run of titles those groups have been waiting for they are suddenly singing the praises.

Robin9 and Jimbo64 like this.
  15. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I agree with this post, but like most of us, I am frustrated by the fact that the titles we most request are mostly being left unreleased. The fact that Shout! Factory has recently entered into an agreement with WB is encouraging, and suggests that WB is finally admitting it cannot meet the demands of collectors by itself. If they can achieve what Universal lately has -- licensing their titles out to multiple niche companies -- things are going to get way-y-y better!

Tony Bensley and Randy Korstick like this.
  16. trajan007

trajan007 Second Unit

Larry C Bender
    Half the films on my wish list are Warner. So I guess that could be a good thing.

17. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    I want to see a lot more pre-1940 films released.

18. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Well to be fair, Ed did say widescreen historical films, not epics. Apart from Helen & Pharaohs (yes Please!), there's the 'scope films:

Knights Of The Round Table (1953)
    King Richard & The Crusaders (1954) - a bit naff, but I enjoyed it when I saw it on TCM the other year.
    The Silver Chalice (1954) - I've never seen this one, but I'd buy it despite its reputation.
    Quentin Durward (1955)

& a couple of tasty 4x3 films:

The Three Musketeers (1948)
    Scaramouche (1952)
    Ivanhoe (1952)

I'd be delighted to buy any one of that colourful lot (esp. the last two).

Suzanne.S and dana martin like this.
  19. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Yes there are lots of historical 4x 3 films not released and those would probably be the bigger sellers for what Warners has unreleased in historical films.. But all the the widescreen ones I mentioned and the ones above are minor films that were not big sellers on DVD, Laserdisc or VHS so you can't blame them for not rushing to restore and release those although I am sure they will get around to a couple of those eventually. I would certainly buy them all. But its not like they haven't released films like Ben Hur, Ten Commandents or other big sellers like that.

20. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Well one thing's for sure, Warner does have the mother lode of swashbucklers, those films plus the Errol Flynn films, & even back to the '35 Three Musketeers (with a great Max Steiner score), & just for fun, Start The Revolution Without Me (& stretching things a bit, My Favourite Year). Over to you Warner.

David Weicker and Randy Korstick like this.