What's new

Whih DVD for around $200?? (480p) (1 Viewer)

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Which progressive dvd should I buy for around $200? I have a toshiba 53hx71 that does 16:9 in squeeze mode. I dont care about the chrono(?) bug, only want the best image and features. Also... how good are monster component cables?? thanks

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Alejandro, welcome to the forum,
You may want to tell us what receiver you are using, and if you are using 5.1 speakers (meaning left,center,right, surrounds and a subwoofer).
In any case, I went out today and bought a Panasonic RP56 to upgrade my Panny RP30 entry DVD player. I paid $209 less tax at Sears after getting them to match the current Best Buy price.
The Panny RP56 plays CDs of course but doesn't have DVD-Audio like its more expensive RP91 ~$500 that I don't care about.
However, the Panny only provides optical (TOSlink) digital audio output -- no coaxial cable (RCA plug). That means you have to have optical input on your receiver.
Of course, these DVDs can be connected directly to the TV with AV analog cables, and play from the TV speakers, but it's just stereo -- not true surround sound. Pannys provide VSS or virtual surround mode for 2-speaker use.
I regard the RP56 as an entry level DVD for progressive scan. The cabinet is not real solid, but for the price, what's inside is the bargain. Others here may suggest Toshiba 3750 for $179 or JVC DVDs.
I find these following reviews in the Audio Review website to be straightforward. Click here
Monster component cables are OK. To see better, click on the BetterCables ad atop the forum homepage. Their top-rated Silver Serpents are $100 for one meter.
good hunting...

Users who are viewing this thread