Which would you recommend?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Travis, May 7, 2004.

1. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I have made my final decision. I am going with Axiom M60's, (2) qs8's, 1 qs4, and a VP150. I am going to use my Sony 2ES as a pre pro for now. This system will be used for 80% HT, 20% music. Which amp would you recommend for this setup. I am leaning towards either the Rotel RMB-1075 or Marantz MM9000. The Rotel will run me 925 and the Marantz of course is on sale for 750 shipped. I am looking for a warm sounding amp that will last a long time and have plenty of power. Is the Rotel worth the extra 175? Also when I upgrade to a processor should the amp and processor match? I was thinking about going with a used Lexicon down the road. Thanks for the help.

2. Travis

Travis Second Unit

No one has any experience with either of these amps?

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Can't speak to the amps, haven't heard or used either one, but to answer your question about processor matching your amps, that isn't necessary (though it might be convenient, depending on the brand and features). Many people augment their receivers with external amps, frequently from different companies, to no ill effects.

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

It makes no difference if the processor and amps match, even if the amps match in a setup.

You should find a local dealer who will let you take home the amps for an overnight. That way, you'll be able to decide which one suits your system best by actually TRYING it there. I chose the Rotel 1075. You may find the Marantz more to your liking. Only one way to find out...

5. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I had the Marantz, and demoed the Rotel on a couple of occasions. Both will serve you well.

6. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I unfortunatly dont have a Marantz dealer in my area. I do have a Rotel dealer who I just found (not even in the phone book) who doesn't stock them and it would be a special order which if I returned I would have to pay a restock fee. He agreed to sell me the Rotel 1075 for 925. I have heard both amps have a warm sound so they would go well with the naturally bright axioms. I love the look (I know that's petty) of the Rotel but if it is not that much better in quality I figure the Marantz is a great deal at 749 shipped. The 175 bucks saved will go towards a BFD for fine tuning the PB2+.