3D which would you perfer

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Joined
Feb 5, 1999
Messages
736
Real Name
bob kaplan
If CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON is successful enough to encourage Universal to release another 3D title, which would you prefer: RETURN OF THE CREATURE or IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE....i want both.. so that doesn't even anwer my own question....but i think IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE first.
 

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
22,329
Location
Charlotte, NC
Real Name
Matt Hough
I would choose It Came from Outer Space, too, though, naturally, I would ideally want EVERYTHING.
 

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Messages
5,973
Real Name
Bob
I would definitely go with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE.
The 3-D photography is much better, plus it has the original three track stereophonic sound. It's one of only three surviving, intact stereo tracks from 3-D's Golden Age.
 

bgart13

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
1,101
Real Name
Ben
Assuming you mean REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, well, it's got John Agar! Getting him in 3D trumps getting Richard Carlson... :D
 

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Joined
Feb 5, 1999
Messages
736
Real Name
bob kaplan
Yes, i did mean REVENGE. Agar is interesting but Carlson is a building block of 50's sci-fi male personification....or something like that!!
 

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Messages
638
Location
Philadelphia, PA
Real Name
Todd Moore
For years I had the anaglyph VHS Universal released of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and watched it many times. So many, that it doesn't exactly top the list of films I'm gonna watch again soon. I was obsessed for a few years with seeing it on the big screen. Did that four times. So yeah, while I would certainly buy a 3D Blu of it, I would take REVENGE OF THE CREATURE over it, if only for the fact that I've seen that one less times.
 

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Feb 14, 2012
Messages
139
Real Name
Stewart
IT CAME is my most wanted classic 3D film, period! All the reasons Bob lists, plus the excellent realization of a Ray Bradbury narrative place it among my top films of any kind.
But REVENGE would be high up there after it.
 

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
279
Real Name
James Nelson
This is simply not a resolvable philosophical postulate. I suggest we call it "Furmanek's Choice" :D
 

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Messages
5,973
Real Name
Bob
If you want to know the truth, I had dual-strip 35mm prints of both IT CAME and REVENGE. I've seen them a lot. The one I would personally want most is the one UI that I've seen the least: WINGS OF THE HAWK.
The 3-D is excellent, it's UI's first widescreen movie (1.85:1) and the three channel stereo sound survives but hasn't been heard since 1953.
Are you sorry you asked? :)

If I were calling the shots, this is how I'd release them:
It Came from Outer Space with Nat King Cole and Russ Morgan's Orchestra
Revenge of the Creature
The Glass Web with Carnival in April
Taza, Son of Cochise with Hawaiian Nights (which should have been with Creature)
Wings of the Hawk with The Hypnotic Hick
 

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
841
Real Name
Schuyler
bob kaplan said:
If CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON is successful enough to encourage Universal to release another 3D title
Unfortunately, with their release plan, I'm not sure how they could even calculate such a metric. I expect that most of the general audience for the Monsters box set won't even realize that Creature is included in 3D. Once they release it separately (soon, please!), we can start to look at the idea of "success".
 

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Messages
5,973
Real Name
Bob
You're absolutely right. How do they gauge interest in 3-D when it's in a box set like this?
I know several people with little interest in classic horror and they're buying the set specifically for Creature in 3-D.
 

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Messages
638
Location
Philadelphia, PA
Real Name
Todd Moore
I suspect comments on a message board regarding the fact that the set is being bought specifically for CREATURE in 3D may help give them a clue. I mean, I dig the Universal monster movies, sure, but I myself am buying it just for CREATURE in 3D. In fact, if CREATURE was 2D only, I wouldn't be buying the set. I have almost all the Legacy collections and am actively attempting to get on Blu Ray only things I didn't already have. I've upgraded some stuff, but others like the Universal Monsters I think I've spent quite enough on over the years, domo arigato. So yeah, I'm buying it only for the 3D CREATURE. I'll watch the rest of them, sure. But I'm buying it for one thing and one thing only.
 

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 13, 1998
Messages
12,780
Location
Central Arkansas
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My first choice is ICFOS.
But Bob, Nat King Cole is on the soundtrack for ICFOS? Or are you yanking our collective chain?:)
 

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
279
Real Name
James Nelson
Johnny Angell said:
My first choice is ICFOS.
But Bob, Nat King Cole is on the soundtrack for ICFOS? Or are you yanking our collective chain?:)
Bob was referencing the shorts that originally accompanied each of the features he mentioned.
 

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Feb 14, 2012
Messages
139
Real Name
Stewart
Bob Furmanek said:
If you want to know the truth, I had dual-strip 35mm prints of both IT CAME and REVENGE. I've seen them a lot. The one I would personally want most is the one UI that I've seen the least: WINGS OF THE HAWK.
The 3-D is excellent, it's UI's first widescreen movie (1.85:1) and the three channel stereo sound survives but hasn't been heard since 1953.
Are you sorry you asked? :)

If I were calling the shots, this is how I'd release them:
It Came from Outer Space with Nat King Cole and Russ Morgan's Orchestra
Revenge of the Creature
The Glass Web with Carnival in April
Taza, Son of Cochise with Hawaiian Nights (which should have been with Creature)
Wings of the Hawk with The Hypnotic Hick
What he said! I've ALWAYS wanted to see the Nat King Cole short, which I know originally ran with ICFOS.
Those would be total DREAM sets!
 

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2001
Messages
5,257
Location
Palmetto, FL
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
I would definitely go with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE.
The 3-D photography is much better, plus it has the original three track stereophonic sound. It's one of only three surviving, intact stereo tracks from 3-D's Golden Age.
I would vote for IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. 3-D, three track stereophonic sound and the Nat King Cole short! Does it have directional dialog?
 

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2003
Messages
4,340
Location
Norfolk, VA
Real Name
Dana Martin
both is the correct answer, but IT, would come first followed by creature with the extras that Bob has mentioned
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
345,205
Messages
4,734,065
Members
141,408
Latest member
GabeBillings