Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by dustinSkater, Aug 16, 2006.

1. dustinSkater

dustinSkater Agent

I will be purchasing a 5.1 system with a receiver and dvd player very soon but I can't decide on which one to buy. I have it down to two.
    The first: CMT-340 SE front pr + CMT-340 SE center + HTM-200 surround pr, HK AVR 635, HK DVD 27
    The second: PSB Image T55 Tower, Image C60 Center, Image S50 Surround, Onkyo TX-SR703, Onkyo DV-SP502
    They both would go with a SVS 20-39 PC–Plus. I know the PSB would we a lot more money but I can get that whole system for about the price of the Ascend's. They would be about $2900. My cousin owns a Hi-Fi store in Houston and he can ship them to me. I am guessing the PSB's would be the better one but I would like other opinions. And the PSB's look much better so I am leaning towards that one more.
    Looking foward to your thoughts.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Either sounds good. I might reconsider the DVD player in both setups though. There is really no benefit to matching your DVD and other gear.

I haven't heard the PSBs, but the Ascends are quite good. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either speaker package.

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Both have two 6.5 drivers and specs are extremely close. Do you like the sound of the metal tweeters and drivers in the PSBs?

4. dustinSkater

dustinSkater Agent

Well I am going with the PSB's. I like the looks of them better and the fact that they are full tower speakers. I think I would have been happy with the Ascend's but I'm not able to give them a listen. I'm calling my cousin today to place the order. But believe me, if he wasn't able to get them at the wholesale price for me I would have went with the Ascend's. He also said that Onkyo seems to be more reliable than Harman Kardon so I guess that's another good thing. We're also ordering the SVS tonight when my mom get's home.

I do have one other quesion. Right now in my room I have a Panasonic HTIB. In our living room we have some old Sansui speakers that are maybe 8 years before me so I don't know what exactly what they are, and my dad doesn't even care anymore. We might put my Panny in the living room, but we wouldn't be able to use the surrounds without doing a lot of work running the wires. So would the Panny be a better choice than the Sansui just for the front soundstage? I don't know the real quality of them because we have them hooked up to a record player and a tape player. I don't even really know how to use the record player and the only tape we still have is the Macarena. It's so old that I think the tape is...not of good quality anymore. The dvd player is hooked up to the tv and it's so dusty back there and hard to move all that stuff that I don't feel like hooking the dvd player to the receiver just to test it out. So it really isn't a big deal but what would you do, keep the Sansui set up or use the HTIB?