Which would you choose? Sony 24" KV24FV300 / Sony 24" KV24FS100 / Sony 27" KV24FS100

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatP, Aug 22, 2002.

1. PatP

PatP Auditioning

I'm looking for a TV that I can use in a dorm room and these are the 3 models I'm specifically looking at. (friend knows owner of a Sony Store) I was wondering if any of you could make some recommendations on these models based on what I'll be using it for:
    -PS2 gaming
    -watching movies with PS2 (does it do 16:9 anamorphic?)
    -watching TV
    -going to serve as a bedroom TV in a few years.
    The 24" KV24FS100 retails for $599
    The 24" KV24FV300 retails for $699
    The 27" KV27FS100 retails for $899
    I'm sort of leaning towards the 27" model but wasn't sure if the Enhance 16:9 would be useful when used with my PS2 for watching DVDs. Does anyone know? Is it worth the extra ~$200 to get the 16:9 feature and the extra 3"? (as well as extra 30 pounds to lug around) [​IMG]
    Thanks for your feedback

2. BlakeS

BlakeS Extra

$599 and $699 for those models? Boy, your friends friend sure does hike up prices. You can get those models for $387 and $499 at Circuit City and Best Buy. Also, I also posted a thread about which TV to get in my dorm room, and the majority responded saying I should go for the Akai(Samsung). It's 27" supports 16:9 and its only $350 at Sams Club. I picked mine up yesterday and started to mess around with the settings to get it good. I'm going to buy the Avia disk to help me tweak it.

3. PatP

PatP Auditioning

hehe.. Oops.. forgot to mention those were just the retail prices (in CDN funds). So to convert to US, it comes down to roughly:

$399 for KV24FS100
    $465 for KV24FV300
    $599 for KV27FS100

Again, these are retail prices.. I don't have his "special" price yet.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would go with the 27 inch if you have room for it. Remember you will probably have the set for awhile & I'd be willing to bet that after you buy a 24" set that you will be wishing you had spent the extra money in the first place & got the 27" set. Just my 2cents.

5. Matt_Key

Matt_Key Agent

I would go with the 27". My sis has a 24" wega for a year and she is looking to upgrade. my old 27" sony suited me for 8 years.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I'd also go with the 27".
    The PS-2 can be set to 16/9 for anamorphic dvd, just like any other dvd player, so the enhanced 16/9 mode on the tv will be a very nice feature.

7. PatP

PatP Auditioning

Steve: Thanks for letting me know about the PS2's ability to use the 16:9 feature! This is definately making me lean in favor of this TV now..
    Well, I went and had a look at the KV27FS100 set yesterday and all I have to say is "wow!". I was truly impressed with the display quality this set offered. The salesman didn't seem to know much about the TV but was trying pretty hard to show me the great features it had. He didn't know about the 16:9 feature or what it did until I told him about it. Funny thing is that I feel like I don't know much when it comes to TVs and I'm talking to someone who knows less. [​IMG] Anyways, I guess that's what these forums are for.
    Just from what I saw yesterday, I'd be pretty much willing to pay retail price for this set. The colors just seemed so vivid and alive. If any of you are in the market for a TV in this size range, you might want to give this perticular set a close look.
    Thanks for your feedback!
    Patrick