What's new

Which would you choose and why? (1 Viewer)

Michael_Mc

Grip
If you had the choice between the B&K AVR 305 or Rotel RSP-1066 with Rotel RMB-1075 which would you choose, and, Why?

I always thought separates would be better, however the dealer is suggesting the B&K 305. He said the 305 uses the same components as the B&K Reference 30. Is this true?

Any opinions.

Or suggestions for B&W 604 DMS3 in front, B&W DS6 for rear, and B&W LCR 600 for center.

Thanks.

Mike

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
It is true that the B&K receiver is basically the prepro plus a very nice amp section. As for your choice between the 2 brands, I, personally, do not like either one. Both companies make nice amps - but their processors tend to be buggy.

Good luck.

Rich B.

Raffi A

Grip
I was in the same boat as you. I chose the B&K 305. The rotel choice would have cost me a bit more and I got a better pre amp with the B&K. As you stated the 305 is essentailly the ref 30 with an amp section. Later on down the road, I want to add an external three channel amp for the fronts and center.

The dealer gave me the 305 for $2450.

Raffi

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

My dealer told me that the Reference 30 used better components than the B&K AVR 307. Who is right, I don't know. I do know that I auditioned the 307 for two weeks and liked it alot. I did decide to go the separates route, however, and bought a Rotel 1095 amp and am waiting for an Outlaw 950. If Outlaw takes much longer, I will go with an Anthem AVM 20.

Personally, I just like the idea of buying a new pre/pro when it's time to upgrade as opposed to upgrading an all-in-one receiver for a high price. If I go the Outlaw route, it has DPII for $900. The Anthem AVM 20 has free software updates and will be upgraded to DPII and more for $300 sometime this summer. By contrast, the Denon 5800 can be upgraded for $800. Who knows what the upgrade for the B&K will cost when it finally gets here?

A new B&K 307 street price is about $3,300. A new Denon 5803 is about $3,900. The Rotel 1095 cost me $1700 and the Outlaw will be $900 for a total cost of $2,600. If I go the Anthem route, then the AVM 20 will be about $2,700 plus the $1700 for the Rotel amp equalling $4,400. After the upgrade to the Anthem, the total will be $4,700.

So, in conclusion, a new B&K 307 plus future upgrade will be about $3,300 plus the unknown cost of the future upgrade. The Denon 5803 will cost about $3,900 now and requires no upgrade. A worst case financial situation for me, given the path I'm on, would be my Rotel amp with an upgraded Anthem AVM 20 for $4,700. A best case senerio would be for the Outlaw 950 and my Rotel amp for $2,600.

After much deliberation and reading of the reviews and home auditions of the B&K 307 and Denon 5800, this is the way I've decided to go.

Jeff

Mike ZQ

Grip
Jeff, do you think the Outlaw and the Ref 30 are close in audio and video output quality?

And which one do you think has the most user friendly on screen controlls?

Mike

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Mike the REf 30 has no bugs!I used the Ref 30 the last 16 months and not 1 glitch!I used it with Parasound amps and a Paradigm Studio 7.1 setup.I used to be a receiver person, Onkyo and Yamaha. DSP-A1 and RX-V1 plus the 989 it was a fairly large step up with the seperates.Bigger soundstage tighter bass conrol better dynamics and seperation to all channels.Myself it would take one hell of a receiver to get me back to a one box solution!

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I have not heard a 950 but judging from the reviews from the few that have auditioned it, yes I think it might sound better than the Reference 30. As I recall, one of the beta testers had owned a Ref 30 and said as much. It also has audio modes that the 30 lacks like Prologic II. When it ships, which will hopefully be soon, Outlaw gives you a 30 return policy with no questions asked. That is why I'm trying to wait to see how I like it.

Jeff

Mike ZQ

Grip
I think I'll hang back and wait also. For around a $1500 difference in price it may well be worth waiting!

Thanks, this helps in making an informed purchase.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks