Which would be a better center speaker choice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Travale, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I have been in my "local" B&W dealer a lot lately drooling over the CDM series speakers. I had originally wanted a pair of CDM 7NTs for the mains, a pair of 1NTs for the rears and a CDM CNT for the center. I have now decided that I will get 4 1NTs and either a CNT for the center channel or a 5th 1NT. Which would be better as a center speaker, the CNT or the 5th 1NT? My listening habits are about 65/35 in favour of HT.

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

The CDM really just is a 1NT but sitting in a horizontal cabinet. The driver array is pretty much identical and it's shielded. If you have a 100" screen and can array all 3 speakers along the bottom then sure, get 5 1NT's. Otherwise don't worry about it.

Are you getting a new sub to match the calibre of these speakers?

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Well, since it's going to be a little while before I get them I was going to wait on the SVS PC+ reviews.

Thanks for the tip on the speakers. It probably would have been a problem trying to get them to split up a pair anyway.

4. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Buy 6 and go with a centre in the rear as well!

5. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

I use DM602 S2s in the front and a CDM CNT as the center. I tried the LCR6 and CC6 - both were not satisfactory to me. I think a good center channel speaker is very essential for HT experience. A very high percentage of material comes off the center. In the case of CDM CNT, it is more sensitive and larger (volume) than the 1NT. I think that helps very much.