What's new

which woofer----> (1 Viewer)

Richy_S

Auditioning
i'm going to build a sonotube sub.
need help on picking a driver. The problem? I don't know anything about reading the specs for the drivers . All these drivers list all these specs and I don't know what they mean. Thus I don't know which one is best.
i have these four in mind
12'' hsu driver
15'' tempest
10'' peerless
12'' Image Dynamics ID-Max
For example, here are the stats on the hsu woofer:
Fs (Free-air resonance) 23 Hz
Qms 4
Qes 0.34
Qts 0.32
Vas 140 liters
Re 3.25 ohms
Sd 0.051 m2
Pd 250W rms
Xmax +/- 13 mm
I have no idea what these specifications and stats mean. someone please help:D

A

Anthony_Gomez

How big of an enclosure can you tolerate?

Is this for music or HT?

How big of a budget do you have (including amplification)

Also...since you don't seem to know anything about this addictio....er..hobby yet, what prompted you to choose those vastly different drivers?

Richy_S

Auditioning
I can have any size enclosure, but i would like to use the basic design shown here:
Link Removed
This is for HT
I chose vastly different drivers, because these are the drivers i have seen people use before in their sonotubes. Which one is best? can someone tell me how to read the stats?
oh yeah, i might have access to a svs cs ultra woofer (the older version, not the brand new tv-12). so add this to my list of woofers.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Richy,
Since size is no concern, and this is just for HT,...and we assume that this will fall in the budget of the average person, the I would ABSOLUTELY go with the tempest in an EBS alignment...or a varient of.
this is a LARGE enclosure (think water heater), but well worth it if you can fit it.
Here is your COMPLETE blue print :D
http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub2.html

Richy_S

Auditioning
yeah i've seen this design before

on the design, it looks like the port pipe doesn't have an elbow bend....is this correct?

would the svs woofer be better? (I think I can get it cheaper too)

it is an ultra, not a regular one

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 6" wide port is only 22" inside an enclosure that's 40"+ tall, so no elbow bends are needed for the porting.

Richy_S

Auditioning
so does everyone agree tempest is the best?

whats the best 12"?

12" hsu driver

12" Image Dynamics ID-Max

12" SVS ultra

can someone teach me about reading specifications?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
You could also use a Shiva from Adire Audio in an EBS desin as well. I figure you could get close to the same results in a cabinet about 2/3 to 1/2 the size as a cabinet with a Tempest.

Richy_S

Auditioning
I am under the impression the other 12" woofers are better than the shiva (i'm not saying the shiva is bad).

steve mm

Agent
need help with rumble filter i know what it does where to buy or how to make and how to wire it in to system? I also have some perameters if some one could run them through fs 28,ohm 3.7,mh 3.3,qms6.20,qes0.52,qts0.48,vas(cu.ft)4.23,vas(lit er)120,spl89,xmax.31,xmax(mm)8,spkrdis(cu.ft)0.09, I have a 5.17cu box should i port them or go seald

A

Anthony_Gomez

Steve, you are best to start your own thread as RIchy eluded to.

Richy, yes there are better subs, but butter for different reasons.
...better for a small enclosure, better price/performance ratio, better sealed, better excursion, better power handling, lower distorion etc etc. Some drivers will arguably fit into a few of these catagories. ...but, lets say for example, that you are on a tight budget, then that makes a lot of drivers not better.

The law of subwoofers: There is no replacement for displacement. If you can accomidate a 15" version of a 12" driver, then go that route.

Richy_S

Auditioning
alright cool

also i need a CHEAP amp. man, amps cost too much for me.

i need 150 watts minimum right (whats the minimum for tempest?) can't i just get a old pro-logic receiver and bridge the amp? I have an old stereo receiver, but it may be too old.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Richy,...see, right here is where a "best driver" can be shot down (with your power requirement). Most people prefer to use the tempest with 250watts, but 150 should make you happy.
A prologic amp can work, but it will not have any of the plate amp features you may need such as phase, variable XO, and rumble filter (required for almost all ported/PR'd enclosures). You wouldn't be bridging the amp, you would use the L/R channels to independently power each of the 8ohm coil.
you may want to look into the fairly inexpensive PE 250watt plate amp ($119)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-794

Richy_S

Auditioning
thanks for the help
do I NEED those features?
because SVS says you can use an old receiver to power their subs, so I figured for my DIY sub, it would be enough....
are you saying the tempest requires those features?
but if I get a different woofer (like a 12"), can I get by without those features? i'm just trying to save some dough:D

A

Anthony_Gomez

variable XO..not necessarily. Your sub out most likely has a built in 80hz lowpass.

variable phase..no, but you may not get the best integration without it.

rumble filter..yes. Without it, the tempest will unload below its tuning. If you are playing at low spl, then you don't need it, but once you start making the think roar, you will bottom out with low frequencies.

Driver size is independent of those features. A driver like the tumult can get away with not having a rumble filter for some people because the driver has plenty of excursion for eating up a driver unloading....but even in this case, if you want to use the tumults full potential as a PR system, you need a rumble filter.

A

Anthony_Gomez

nope.

...just the 80hz XO (maybe 100 or even 120 on some recievers....but you will be using the L/R on the pro-logic, and the sub-out on the DD reciever).

you will NOT get a phase control and rumble filter on a reciever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks